Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rapping Square Icons

Default Rapping Square Icons
    Hey all,

I have been beating my head over this. I am making an icon theme.

What I have done is go and get all icons from the app folders. I have applied just a black and white and transparency effect in PS.

Problem is that some appstore app icons are square. I have read a lot about the key you can put in your info.plist in the root of your theme that will tell Winterboard to do the rapping (rounding) of the icons. My issue is that it doesn't work.

I have tried:
    <key>ComposeStoreIcons</key>
    <string>true</string>

<boolean>true</boolean>

<boolean>1</boolean>

<true/>

I have also tried putting the default AppIconMask inside the UIImages folder as well which I read in one post here at MMi that would make them rounded.

Nothing seems to work.

Anyone had issues with this? Any solutions?

I have uploaded a couple example icons.

C~
    iPhone 3G 16GB White | OS 3.1.2 blakra1n'd
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I am having a very similar problem and I will let you know if I find anything regarding this... I downloaded the default AppIconMask.png and all the rest and dropping them into the UIImages folder of my theme didn't help it at all :/

Quote Originally Posted by glassbase View Post
    Hey all,

I have been beating my head over this. I am making an icon theme.

What I have done is go and get all icons from the app folders. I have applied just a black and white and transparency effect in PS.

Problem is that some appstore app icons are square. I have read a lot about the key you can put in your info.plist in the root of your theme that will tell Winterboard to do the rapping (rounding) of the icons. My issue is that it doesn't work.

I have tried:
    <string>true</string>

<boolean>true</boolean>

<boolean>1</boolean>

<true/>

I have also tried putting the default AppIconMask inside the UIImages folder as well which I read in one post here at MMi that would make them rounded.

Nothing seems to work.

Anyone had issues with this? Any solutions?

I have uploaded a couple example icons.

C~
    iPhone 3G 16GB White | OS 3.1.2 blakra1n'd
    Hey, can i ask a silly (but important) question - I've been searching everywhere for a simple explanation on how to add the rapping (rounding) effect to "homemade" icons in photoshop. I've made quite a few icons of my own and want to add that nice smooth "ipod icon" effect around the edges. any advice?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deersindal View Post
    I am having a very similar problem and I will let you know if I find anything regarding this... I downloaded the default AppIconMask.png and all the rest and dropping them into the UIImages folder of my theme didn't help it at all :/
    AppIconMask goes in yourtheme/Bundles/com.apple.mobileicons.framework

Quote Originally Posted by Tdog729 View Post
    Hey, can i ask a silly (but important) question - I've been searching everywhere for a simple explanation on how to add the rapping (rounding) effect to "homemade" icons in photoshop. I've made quite a few icons of my own and want to add that nice smooth "ipod icon" effect around the edges. any advice?
    Thanks
    I've attached a Photoshop file for you. I simply created a layer mask. All you have to do is hold Alt and click and drag the layer mask onto your icon layer, then Save for Web and Devices as PNG 24 with transparency.

And of course, if that helps hit up the thanks -->
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Tdog729 (2010-11-18)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I've attached a Photoshop file for you. I simply created a layer mask. All you have to do is hold Alt and click and drag the layer mask onto your icon layer, then Save for Web and Devices as PNG 24 with transparency.

And of course, if that helps hit up the thanks -->
    Wow, that's perfect! Thank you for that..
    while I have you, do you by any chance know how to then make a border around the icon (after i added the layer mask)? or to add any other features like shadow, glossy, etc?
    Thanks again!

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

to add other features in photoshop you just put layers above your icon image and do whatever you want. If you want to add a border then just make one in another layer. The shadow can be done by using layer styles in photoshop. And because you are making a border on them I assume you want all the icons on your device to ahve that same border, so I say you are now going to need to auto create your icons. In this case make sure you make the border under your icon pictures so you know it's going to turn out that way when you auto create. I'm sorry I am not very good at explaining this, there is a thread on how to make auto create icons in the themes section made by my good friend TcCentex but if you need help just ask me or ask in that thread

10. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (2010-11-19)