Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing springboard font

Thanks

Default Changing springboard font
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but it's where I decided to.

I want to change the springboard icon font to a font I downloaded for FontSwap. FontSwap doesn't offer the option of just changing the springboard icon fonts. All fonts downloaded for FontSwap are named the same as the iPhone system font, so I can't just port the font I want into the font cache folder and change my info.plist.

Does anybody know how to change just the springboard icon font to one that has been downloaded, not a preinstalled iPhone font?

Thanks

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

well if you don't mind replacing one of the fonts in the font cache with it then you can do that and write an info.plist that will change the docked icon lable style and undocked icon label style....i'm pretty sure it's what you were saying you cna't do which i don't know why you are saying you can't you can as long as you dont' mind changing one of the fonts replacing it with the one you downloaded

3. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

TomatoTomago (2009-09-04)

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_don View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but it's where I decided to.

I want to change the springboard icon font to a font I downloaded for FontSwap. FontSwap doesn't offer the option of just changing the springboard icon fonts. All fonts downloaded for FontSwap are named the same as the iPhone system font, so I can't just port the font I want into the font cache folder and change my info.plist.

Does anybody know how to change just the springboard icon font to one that has been downloaded, not a preinstalled iPhone font?

Thanks
    YES. but not sure what you're asking. if you want to change the springboard icon font, you have to have that font you want available in /System/Library/Fonts/Cache/
    With FontSwap, you just overwrite the default system font Helvetica and HelveticaBold, and that in turn changes the springboard icon font which is Helvetica.

FontSwap's approach is both good and bad. The good part this approach doesn't require a lot of knowledge to do successfully. The bad part is that Helvetica.ttf and HelveticaBold.ttf is overwritten. Once overwritten, if the newer font isn't Helvetica, then Helvetica will no longer be available on your iphone's font selection. so if you change the default Helvetica, everything that uses that default is changed, not just the springboard icon.

The approach you want to pursue is to use of winterboard's features. Undocked icon label style and docked icon label style. These two functions are only useful IF the font you want to use isnt the default Helvetica.ttf. Your only other choices are the other available stock fonts are any other font you installed that isnt overwriting the stock Helvetica.ttf.

To add font to the /System/Library/Fonts/Cache/ you need put the ttf file there. You need to update the CGFontCache.plist.

For example, let's say I want to install NeoTech font onto my iphone using the above approach. I use fontlab to edit a NeoTech font file and make sure the iphone metrics are correct. I also need to make sure the metadata says 'NeoTech' and save the font as NeoTech.ttf. Then I SSH to iphone and copy NeoTech.ttf to /System/Library/Fonts/Cache/ Then I need to edit the CGFontCache.plist, found in the /System/Library/Fonts/ folder. First, I copy the .plist to my computer, convert it from binary to xml. use an ascii text editor then add the lines:
    <key>NeoTech</key>
    <string>/System/Library/Fonts/Cache/NeoTech.ttf</string>
    under the lines:
    <key>Names</key>
    <dict>
    and add the lines:
    <key>NeoTech</key>
    <dict>
    <key>Plain</key>
    <string>NeoTech</string>
    </dict>
    under the lines:
    <key>TraitMappings</key>
    <dict>
    save the file. and convert to binary. SSH to iphone. rename the stock .plist to CGFontCache.plist.bak. copy the new one in same folder. now respring. Now, you can use winderboard and change your icons to neotech and leave the stock helvetica font untouched.