Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The state of keyboard modding in FW 3.x

Did you even read the first post of this thread? The answer is no to any and all skinning other than the options described in the first post. This is why I wrote it. There are dozens of threads asking this very same question. The answer doesn't change. Keyboards are vector-based now.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Green Apple
    Thanks

sorry, didn't mean to sound like a noob... yea i did read the first post as well as checked some other posts. I was aware that modding the filed we use to on 2.0 do nothing. However, I just though it was a matter of finding the correct files and replacing them as least for the transparent keyboard which iphone already uses.

As I tried to explain in my post, there are no files any more. It's all done programatically with vectors. I also explained that we may be able to modify the vectors, but not yet. There simply are no bitmap images that are used any more. So any software that uses the system keyboard can call different versions of system keyboard (solid or semi-transparent) and the system will take care of rendering the keyboard. With few exceptions, apps don't normally draw their own keyboards. It's the system that does that. So before any one asks again:

THERE WILL NOT BE ANY WINTERBOARD KEYBOARD THEMES !!!

THERE ARE NO SYSTEM KEYBOARD IMAGE FILES THAT CAN BE MODIFIED !!!

THERE ARE ONLY THE OPTIONS I DESCRIBED IN THE FIRST POST !!!

Last edited by StealthBravo; 2009-09-13 at 06:57 PM. Reason: No need to be a jerk
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Green Apple
    Thanks

i see... well that post explains it better for me instead of the first post. ... so taking what u said, is there a way to modify each application to "call" for the transparent keybaord and let the system take care of the rest or is it still not that easy? I see all of these new apps coming out for the iphone and they use the transparent keyboard. There must be a way to mod the application itself to "call" for the transparent keyboard. ... in the first post i was just asking how to replace the keybaord already installed, not how to skin it or anything. Figured it was easier than trying to skin it. Sorry if i wasnt clear.

And i dont need you bitchin at me again. Yes, i sound like a noob i know. I don't know anything about vectors. your last post clarified it but your first post did nothing for me including the link u posted. I am here to learn like most ppl are on this forum and other forums.
    Last edited by SVD85; 2009-09-03 at 06:21 PM.

I simply restated what is in the first post. I'm not bitchin about you personally, but in general. There are dozens of threads about keyboards not working and I wrote this sticky to clear up the confusion.

You now bring up the transparency of keyboards and I explained that that has nothing to do with keyboard themes. Transparent keyboards are nothing new in FW 3.0. They were present in all FW versions and they had their separate bitmapped images in the artwork files. I already explained that those are no longer used. You can trash the artwork files and your keyboards will work just fine. They are now vector instructions in a system file. There are no physical pixels any more.

If you want applications to behave differently and issue different system calls, then ask the specific app developer to do that. It has absolutely nothing to do with skinning. You couldn't do that in any FW. This has never been possible. That's a function of every app individually. If an app called the transparent keyboard in FW 2.0, the sytem would have delivered a transparent bitmap. In FW 3.0, the system delivers a transparent vector instruction.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

I hope that when this problem is fixed i can use macboock air keyboard, it's the only skin i like. The problem with the vector instruction is a nasty one from my point of view because in previous fw skining the keyboard was simple with either winterboard or replacing the original files, but now it's done by programing and i think it will take a while before someone comes up with a solution. Anyway nice post and useful information.
    PS: For the ppl that hope winterboard will pe updated, i'v got a bad news, i read somewhere that saurik stoped working on wb because the programing was begening to become more and more complex.....so based on this info wb will probably never be updated again...

And I read somewhere that Michael Jackson is alive and Elvis plans to adopt him. It was on the interwebs, so it must be true.

Listen, WinterBoard is open source. So even if saurik stops working on WinterBoard, anyone can step up to the plate and work on it and release updates.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I think saurik meant that he had given up on how to make the old themes work with 3.0 not keyboards in general.

That's incorrect. Saurik has twittered (and confirmed to me personally) that he has looked into making keyboards work through WB by inspecting the possible presence of legacy code. This is not an unreasonable thought, since the artwork files are still there. He looked at it and found remnants of that legacy code, but a lot of required code has indeed been purged, making a WB solution impossible. So he has given up on keyboard injection through WB. That is a fact and can be read up in his tweets.

As far as I'm aware, saurik has never stated that he is giving up on WB. In fact, I would be very surprised if he did. He has a number of themes on sale in his Cydia store. So people should stop spreading these rumors or submit a credible source. It helps no one to say "I read this somewhere" and then pass that on as bad news.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Ok, bud

I never said anything about saurik giving up on winterboard (you may want to read my post again).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

TheCrow13 (2010-02-01)

You missunderstod me and i gave an incomplete information. In fact i was refering that he stoped trying to fix old themse for 3.x os just like u sayd in your last post. I never wanted to say that he will stop updating wb, just that the future updates will still probably not work for keyboard themes. Sorry for the confusion i created..

Okay, I just wanted to make sure that people don't panic that WinterBoard development has stopped and that there would never be another WinterBoard update, which was the impression that was generated.

What saurik did complain about was that WB is being criticized for slowing things down and that part of that problem stems from the fact that he is supporting a lot of things that originated in SummerBoard. So, yes, he may abandon some old-style theme handlers in order to speed up WB. Obviously, that would require him working on it and releasing an update. These are not really bad news though.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

hey i heard this guy was going to make the macbook air keyboard work for the 3.0 fw....is it true? if so when will it be out?? Thats really the only keyboard i want on my 3.0 fw

Why don't you read the first post in this thread? To reproduce the MacBook Air or any other bitmap keyboard you have only one choice: iAcces. All other options will not work.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

is there any hope of maybe another keyboard app we can theme, like iAccess, but for those of us that are unable to use it due to iAccess crashing? if I knew enough about the coding I would give it a shot but i'm very far from that..

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    This just in:

iKeyEx 0.1-99g is released

Changelog:
    - “Text with traits” is now supported, that means your can add color, change font and text size for each key. However, you still cannot use key with image.

- Native control keys support. (Left, right, home, page down, etc.)
    armadillo, i got 2 questions for you:

1) What do you mean by, "you still cannot use key with image?" What does this mean?

2) Aside from the problems reported by users using iAccess, have you had any problems with it yourself?

Last edited by big black; 2009-09-17 at 08:19 PM.

1) Those are the release notes of iKeyEx. So I guess it means that bitmaps are not supported.
    2) I have been running iAcces for a while now and have not had any problems. Most keyboards are skinned, but some are not (e.g. Cydia isn't).
    Come visit AlohaSoft

I've had the same problems as some others with iAccess, with the crashing etc. And I really would prefer a full keyboard theme, not a modification of the stock theme like the possibilities of iKeyEx

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    1) Those are the release notes of iKeyEx. So I guess it means that bitmaps are not supported.
    2) I have been running iAcces for a while now and have not had any problems. Most keyboards are skinned, but some are not (e.g. Cydia isn't).
    armadillo, thanks for the heads up. I got 2 questions for you, please.

1) Which is better, iKeyEx or iAccess?

2) I don't understand one thing here. If people complain that there aren't custom keyboard themes, why are apps like iKeyEx and iAccess available which make customization of themes possible?

And armadillo, please keep in mind that I'm still on 2.2.1 because there are some apps that don't work in 3.0, yet. So, don't think I'm abreast of what's going on in 3.0. Thanks.

1) Those are Apples and Oranges. As you can read up in the first post of this thread, iAcces is system modification that uses bitmapped keyboards. So those can be skinned by photoshopped png images and I provided a screenshot of my Aqwoah keyboard running under iAcces and implemented as a WinterBoard theme. IkeyEx is a completely different beast. It does enable you to skin the keyboard, but is primarily used to implement different keyboard layouts (e.g. Dvorak or 5-row keyboards). It only creates layout files and you can assign certain characters to the keys. At this point, it lets you alter the character style of the keys, but not their shape or color (this may become possible in future versions, but will be limited to different color gradients). iKeyEx will never be able to display keyboards that have gloss or glows or other fancy styles. It will always stay within the vector realm.

2) iKeyEx does not allow customization or skinning of keyboards. So that is out of the running. Only two options exist that enable bitmapped keyboards and I have described them in the first post: iTypeFastr and iAcces. Each with their own limitations. I would say that the closest to skinning we had under FW 2.x is probably iAcces. Unfortunately, there are not many keyboard skins that have been implemented for iAcces. I do provide a full Aqwoah keyboard skin for all keyboards for those using FW 2.x and I provide the same keyboards for iAcces, but they are not as global, since some keyboard configurations are not available in iAcces and the iPhone will put up its default keyboards.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast