Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Overlay Mask

Default Overlay Mask
    There are 3 png files used to make icons look the way they do. One is the glare overlay, one is the shadow overlay, and one is the mask that makes the shape we all know and love (or hate).

Editing the shadow and glare is easy, but the mask I just can't figure out. I've worked with files in Photoshop that have a mask but the file doesn't seem to have one. It's just black and white, but editing that doesn't actually do anything. Anyone figure this file out yet?

One other peculiarity I've noticed is that some apps don't use the overlay icons at all. It seems completely random which apps use the overlays. Anyone have any idea why?

There're a few discussions going between people who'd love to edit these images and get them work. They can be found on page 3 of the iPhoneShop thread, and also the thread 'Icons behind the Glass? ...'. Have you been succesful in changing the images in Other.artwork, and get them to work correctly, without Winterboard?

The black and white *is* the mask. I believe you *can* change the mask.png on your iPhone, but Springboard just doesn't adapt its icons to the mask...

Also, various themers have reported there's a difference in render between the icons in the folder where MobileStore, MobileMail, Stock etc is at, and those in the folder with the AppStore-installed apps. If you get what I mean?

I changed the overlay and it didn't change anything. Changing the other two images, like I said, changed icons at random it seems.