Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: noob question

Default noob question
    hello i got my 3g iphone jailbroken i did it myself and got cydina and winterboard installed. i downloaded two themes and unzipped them. sshed into my phone copied them into the libary/themes folder and then opend up winterboard and selected the them my phone dont do anything i even restarted the phone. what am i doing wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Are they showing up in winterboard? That's not the path I use.
    private/var/stash/themes

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Are they showing up in winterboard? That's not the path I use.
    private/var/stash/themes
    /Library/Themes is a shortcut to that location.

Maybe it is a permissions error? Are all of them themes set to permissions "rwxr-xr-x" or "0755"
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

Hello they are showing up in winterboard. also they are showing up in both those locations Library/Themes & private/var/stash/themes. i never changed the permissions. i didn't know if i needed to. well let me try that. how do i do that? like i said they are showing up in winterboard and i can click on them and the iphone blacks out for a sec or so and makes a noise then comes back on but nothing changed. i just downloaded a slider from cydia and went into winterboard and clicked on it and its working so what can be wrong? why can't i get the themes working? could it be that its only half jailbroken or what?
    Last edited by charles3526; 2009-07-15 at 04:17 PM.

To set permissions SSH into the device to where the themes are located.
    "/private/var/stash/Themes.xxxxxx" and right click on the folder. Then click on properties then in "Octal" change the number to 0755.

I just thought of another reason why it might not work. The folder should be "Name.theme" not just "Name".

the funny thing is that i can download a theme from cydia and it works but the blu smoke theme dont work. but i downloaded something from cydia and it worked so it could be the permissions? should i do a total restore and then rejailbreak or should i try and change the permissions first?

Restoring is always a last restore. Change the permissions first.

ok is it easy to change the permissions? i will do that as soon as i get home.

Yes, it is very easy to change. The hardest part is finding the files, to be totally honest.

can you tell me how to do it. i have ssh and know how to get into my phone just dont know where the files are that i have to change the permission on and what do i change them to. do i hvae to change permissions all the time with certain thems or this is like done only once?

I posted it above, here it is again.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    To set permissions SSH into the device to where the themes are located.
    "/private/var/stash/Themes.xxxxxx" and right click on the folder. Then click on properties then in "Octal" change the number to 0755.

I just thought of another reason why it might not work. The folder should be "Name.theme" not just "Name".

Hello i tried both those things. its allready set to 0755. i also changed the name from blusmoke to blusmoke.theme and still nothing.

NE1
    Last edited by charles3526; 2009-07-17 at 04:42 AM.

i got a theme from cydia and that worked but the ones i get from here and ssh it into my phone dont work.

sorry to intrude on this thread. Nooby here too. I've jailbroken my 3gs and have been blown away by some of the themes on this forum.

I have no idea on how to install them on the iphone. Is there a thread with an 'idiots guide' on how to do it. Just don't want to clog up the forum asking for things that are most likely oftenly asked every other day.

thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^ Welcome to MMi

If you have installed Cydia with your jailbreak, open and install Winterboard.
    All themes you download from Cydia are located in winterboard now. You simply choose the theme in winterboard, put a check by it and exit the app.
    You might want to check this link.

Thanks alot. Great help. I'll get reading!!

Aren't you supposed to drag and drop the selected theme to the top of the hierarchy in winterboard? I know some of my stuff didn't work til I did that.

Iphone 3G, Mac Book, Ipad Mini, Vista, Windows 7

what do you mean? when i ssh into my phone? where would i put the app? i put it in stash/themes. how do i move it on winterboard?if your just talking about going to winterboard and just moving the item all the way to the top i tried that and it didn't work. what ever i get from cydia works but when i dl something from here it dont.

yea thats what I was talkin about, maybe look at the themes that work and see if you can find any kind of little differences like permissions or folder hierarchy, any little thing that's different between the ones that work and the ones that don't. I've taken icons from different themes from cydia and the web and made my own mix and match without problems but you gotta be sure everything is in the right place. Sometimes the only way to figure it out is trial and error

Iphone 3G, Mac Book, Ipad Mini, Vista, Windows 7

from what i see they look the same from the ones i get off of cydia. i dont know what it can be. i found a nice one i am staying with for now but i would like to get this working 100 percent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast