Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Keyboard.artwork files in 3.0 ???

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Keyboard.artwork files in 3.0 ???
    I copied the 2 keyboard.artwork files to my computer and i exported them using Artworker3.0

then i copied the keyboard images that i used in 2.x firmware, making sure that i only copied the ones that are in the new firmware files

then i imported the new images into the new .artwork files and copied them to my phone

i did a respring and then i even shut the phone off and on

but when i open the apps that use the keyboards, sms, email, etc

the stock ones are still there....

How anyone successfully imported images using Artworker3.0 and gotten them to work in 3.0 firmware?

i always like to load the keyboard this way instead of winterboard b/c i felt the apps would load faster...

if anyone has gotten the keyboards to work on 3.0 by packing the images in .artwork files please let me know how you did it

thank you
    If I Helped You Hit The Thanks Button

Thanks

no one has been able to get the keyboard to change
    whether its with winterboard or by replacing the artwork

3. The Following User Says Thank You to REAPERDAGREAT13 For This Useful Post:

Ice9812 (2009-06-22)

I have struggled with this as well, hope we can solve this problem soon, I really don't like the stock keyboard.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikmc915 For This Useful Post:

banilla16 (2009-06-22), Ice9812 (2009-06-22), verdemano (2009-06-23)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i just noticed 2 things...
    1) my keyboard theme worked when i added a new cydia source
    2) worked again with quick reply/ quick text

so it seems as the theme is still there... with changes to the parameters im guessing due to the new landscape features

Im not very savvy on all this but using Cyberduck I found some files that contain a lot of Keyboard plist files and a keyboard artwork file would these have anything to do with changing the keyboard in 3.0?

They are in: System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit

No luck for me. I'm not a big fan of the stock look either...
    Last edited by jedimyndtryx; 2009-06-24 at 03:12 PM.

This is very bizzare, I also extracted the .artwork files using iPhone Shop, and repacked and replaced them, still doesn't work.
    You may notice that there are actually 2 versions of each keyboard... a solid, and a semi-transparent. All those images are not within the .artwork files, just the solid images, including the NEW files for sms and email landscape keyboards.

Obviously some or all of the keyboard images are somewhere else, and I have spent HOURS tearing every directory apart looking at every file, and I cant find anything!!

I also have a feeling that there may some switches or patches in winterboard that are missing or need to be revised... much like the one for SMSBackground.

My other hunch is that perhaps Apple put some kind of encoding that prevents winterboard from patching the keyboard... like the 1st release of iRealSMS... remember that?? But if that were the case, repacking and overwriting the .artwork files would work, and it doesn't!! ARGH!!!

I cant wait till someone finally cracks this, so I can find out what the heck I missed!
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I tried for days back in the beta days to do an .artwork replacement and never could get it to work. I have talked to saurik about the issue many times and he is working on it. He said that he doesnt see how you could do a keyboard replacement without winterboard. I will check with him tonight and see whats up

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

dnice2420 (2009-07-24), Melech518 (2009-06-26)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyest View Post
    This is very bizzare, I also extracted the .artwork files using iPhone Shop, and repacked and replaced them, still doesn't work.
    You may notice that there are actually 2 versions of each keyboard... a solid, and a semi-transparent. All those images are not within the .artwork files, just the solid images, including the NEW files for sms and email landscape keyboards.

Obviously some or all of the keyboard images are somewhere else, and I have spent HOURS tearing every directory apart looking at every file, and I cant find anything!!

I also have a feeling that there may some switches or patches in winterboard that are missing or need to be revised... much like the one for SMSBackground.

My other hunch is that perhaps Apple put some kind of encoding that prevents winterboard from patching the keyboard... like the 1st release of iRealSMS... remember that?? But if that were the case, repacking and overwriting the .artwork files would work, and it doesn't!! ARGH!!!

I cant wait till someone finally cracks this, so I can find out what the heck I missed!
    its killing me too...i spent hours searching also...

i did notice that there are some transparent keyboards in the .artwork files....but there was 164 images in the 2.2.1 artwork file and there are only 118 in the 3.0....the images could be somewhere else but i would think that some would show up when i put them in the .artwork file.....

i hope that they are cached somewhere else and we didnt find it yet....b/c like you said it doesnt make sense when we replace the images in the artwork file that should do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I tried for days back in the beta days to do an .artwork replacement and never could get it to work. I have talked to saurik about the issue many times and he is working on it. He said that he doesnt see how you could do a keyboard replacement without winterboard. I will check with him tonight and see whats up
    i hope he figures it out.....
    we always packed the images in the . artwork to replace the keyboards winterboard just made it easier...right?

i personally like replacing the keyboard.artwork files even when winterboard was able to do it ...i thought it ran alittle better replacing the artwork files
    Last edited by Ice9812; 2009-06-24 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Is there a chance the keyboard artwork is cached so the files you guys are replacing is not the one in the cache?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwall View Post
    Is there a chance the keyboard artwork is cached so the files you guys are replacing is not the one in the cache?
    thats what im thinking also but cant find anything on it...

Thanks

hmm what are the names of the keyboard artwork files. I never tried making a keyboard skin if i find anything that share those filenames we will get a solution faster.

OH BTW i just tested my theory... i installed a theme via ssh. i activated in in winterboard on 3.0 as normal it loaded right up. here is what i did i deleted the theme from my ipod and resprung the ipod a couple times. the theme that i deleted was still there meaning this os must cache more stuff hence why it seems faster.

After taking a walk down ssh-lane i found that there are artwork files in System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit which is the location they should be. In the Springboard.app folder i found a trace of the spotlight keyboard (just a background gradient so i am wondering if the copy in the UIKit is cached in the springboard.app in a cache that technically would not clear and a file would be unchanged unless a file was not present thus making the UIKit remake a png
    Last edited by kwall; 2009-06-24 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Very good point, but I cant find any cached files either, I guess this is where a removable battery might come in handy!
    If the images are cached, they must be in a different location or by a different method than 2.x, otherwise, winterboard would be able to replace the cache files.
    This is why I believe a simple winterboard update would resolve this issue, the devs know where those keyboard files are!

Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

Thanks

hmm what are the names of the keyboard artwork files. I never tried making a keyboard skin if i find anything that share those filenames we will get a solution faster.

OH BTW i just tested my theory... i installed a theme via ssh. i activated in in winterboard on 3.0 as normal it loaded right up. here is what i did i deleted the theme from my ipod and resprung the ipod a couple times. the theme that i deleted was still there meaning this os must cache more stuff hence why it seems faster.

After taking a walk down ssh-lane i found that there are artwork files in System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit which is the location they should be. In the Springboard.app folder i found a trace of the spotlight keyboard (just a background gradient so i am wondering if the copy in the UIKit is cached in the springboard.app in a cache that technically would not clear and a file would be unchanged unless a file was not present thus making the UIKit remake a png
    the names of the keyboard artwork files are the same as the names used in winterboard.....when you export them from the artwork files they are saved as the same names used by winterboard ....the creators of the exporting programs did this to make it easier for us....

the only difference is when you are creating new images they must be the same size as the original one or they will not import into the new artwork file and you would be missing images..

winterboard does not require them to be the exact size...

im looking arounnd for a cache file b/c like you guys are saying that has to be whats going on....theres no other explanation b/c when you replace the images inside the .artwork file the stock images are no longer on the iphone/ipod.....

thats why back in 1.1.4 days before winterboard the only way to skin the keyboard or any of the UIImages was to replae the .artwork files....Saurik creating winterboard changed all that

Thanks

hey guys your gonna say im insane but the lone difference between 2.x and 3.0 that uses a keyboard is notes, email, but more importantly spotlight. maybe a plist is pointing to the cache folder

spotlight when you think about it is indeed different springboard.app is calling for the keyboard not a mail app, store app etc meaning they might have had problems calling for keyboard files from the same folder spotlight runs from due to the fact spotlight would show those files as search results
    Last edited by kwall; 2009-06-24 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

i was looking around and under

private/var/mobile/library/caches

theres a folder called

com.apple.UIKit.pboard

and it there is a file called

pasteboardDB

i dont know how to read the file and it prolly nothing....but the .artwork files are in the UIKit.framework folder

if anyone knows how to read the file let me know but it a small file so im sure its nothing

Thanks

im pretty sure paste board is the underlying thing to apple's copy and paste and copy paste would need a cache to remember what was copied

What about Other.artwork in /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework ? I tried extracting it with The Unarchiver but to no avail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
    What about Other.artwork in /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework ? I tried extracting it with The Unarchiver but to no avail.
    the other.artwork file contains the UIImages on the phone..
    the buttons inside apps, top menu bars, etc

on windows you can use Artworker3.2 to extract the other.artwork

go to this post in this thread and dl the program for the 3.0 artwork

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/skinnin...ml#post4035281

the thread was started for 2.2 but in post 26 the programs is there for 3.0
    Last edited by Ice9812; 2009-06-25 at 09:47 PM.

This works on Macs as well, just open up "Export.cmd" with texeditor, and copy and paste the command "java -jar art.jar UIKit export" into a terminal window, works like a charm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast