Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Making Themes? Vector?

Thanks

Question Making Themes? Vector?
    I have been working on creating my own theme for my iPhone
    and I noticed they are all in PNG files. So when I click on them it automatically opens up Adobe Fireworks.
    I have never used fireworks but I'm assuming it's more of a vector program? I usually use Illustrator for any vector work.

So what I was wondering was,,does anybody actually create themes in vector? Or does everybody usually just created in Photoshop with non-vector tools? It definitely looks cleaner in vector but to go on the iPhone it can't stay in vector right?

I'm just trying to get an idea of where to go from here.
    Thanks in advance!

.gif .png .jpeg etc are all Raster formats. Raster formats are simply an array of pixels and are resolution dependent, they can not scale with out a loss of quality.
    Vector formats on the other hand use primitive mathematics such as points, lines, polygons, curves and shapes. which are all based on mathematical equations.

it would amaze me if apple took vector images into consideration as the file sizes are huge compared to a raster.

however, you can create your vector images in illustrator and export as a raster format. or copy and paste into photoshop. then right click the layer and select "rasterize type". but thats a bit tedious.
    Last edited by scarthur68; 2009-05-22 at 03:50 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scarthur68 For This Useful Post:

LuvMYiPhone (2009-05-24)

Thanks

yeah I'm probably better off just using the vector tools in Photoshop and doing everything in one program. I just wish raster images looked as smooth and polished as vector sometimes.
    thanks for the response!

in photoshop,

if u are looking to use ur own art and no clip art/ stock images you can increase the resolution.
    File > New
    Resolution: 500+ pixels/inch (default:72 pixels/inch)