Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iNav: Innovative concept. But system performance suffers

Default iNav: Innovative concept. But system performance suffers
    I Really love the whole iNav concept! And I was really excited to try it... and after I did, I at first loved it... but then realized that this theme is very memory intensive, it really maxes out the springboard memory usage and slows my phone down like crazy!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    I Really love the whole iNav concept! And I was really excited to try it... and after I did, I at first loved it... but then realized that this theme is very memory intensive, it really maxes out the springboard memory usage and slows my phone down like crazy!

Anyone else experiencing this?
    I am! I am using the iNav Montmedia theme customized myself and my performance is really crappy. I'm trying to figure out what is the main cause. Is it the springjumps? or the blank icons..

My phone hangs a lot.. and even my memory apps (FreeMemory, MemTool, MemoryInfo) crashes when I try to free memory. Worse of all.. everytime I repsring, reboot or free memory with the app crashing my battery drops like crazy!

I am trying to find the main cause before reverting because that will mean my effort of setting it up all went down the drain!

I use 5 column springboard, iblank, blank null, 5 categories, 5 icon docks, with 2 icons on each page. My phone sure hates me now so I might probably give in and restore.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,217 Times in 2,596 Posts

I haven't had any lag or performance issues when using my iNAV-inspired theme:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/new-ski...-beta-2-x.html

at least no more so than I normally would experience.
    #eli7e revived me

iNav themes dont slow down your phone. If the inav theme has widgets, then thats what slows your phone down. But it does use a lot of memory for the springboard.

I guess Im used to just using a springboard theme. So my system flies all the time.. but these are more complete themes? But these also use a lot of mobile substrate apps to function, 5 icon dock, 5 icon springboard, springjumps & blank null... these will all continue to pull from the springboard memory slowly but surely and will lag the system... thats just a guess.

The thing that really pisses me off, is if I experience a safe mode crash, the 5 icon springboard after respringing will have my icons all jumbled up and Ill have to put them back in the right order again. So annoying.

I already reverted back to my old theme... but maybe someday Ill try to slim the theme down and remove all the fluff(loading screens, UI images, Folder images App images & widgets)...and just keep the icons and springboard related images.
    But Im too lazy to try it now. I already went through like 5 different iNav themes... and the setup as entertaining as it was the first time is now just annoying.
    But again, it is an awesome concept.
    Just wish it didnt lag my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ekidd View Post
    iNav themes dont slow down your phone. If the inav theme has widgets, then thats what slows your phone down. But it does use a lot of memory for the springboard.
    I used the official iNav theme, which contains no widgets to my knowledge and it still was using up A LOT of springboard memory... and I monitored this via SysInfoPlus. There was a HUGE difference with a normal theme as opposed to any iNav theme ive used so far.

Not trying to start a boycott or anything. Just wondering if there is a better way to do it.
    Im thinking that its possible that SPRINGJUMPS may be the reason.
    I tried it without springjumps and it seemed to keep my springboard from slowing, but it sucked... defeated the whole reason for using iNav...
    But I think everytime I pressed one of the springjump icons, it would use more and more springboard memory without releasing this memory. Cant be sure since I dont have it installed now... but maybe if someone wants to test it.
    I do know that from a fresh respring my springboard was using about 20MB or memory... a few mins using iNav and it doubled...

I notice that when I would be typing on a blog as I am doing now, my safari would sometimes crash and I would have to start all this over again! Too much trouble for a theme.
    Last edited by reznor9; 2009-04-23 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

it will not slow down ur system, this is the logic, only the icons size has been changed and nothing else, im not sure with the widget but probably. Mine nothing change same speed i got.
    DoNt ForGeT to Say "THanK You" using tHe THANKS ButToN if you found my post helpful

Apple iPhoNe 3GS Factory Unlocked 3.1.2 All working flawlessly!!

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,217 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theone77 View Post
    it will not slow down ur system, this is the logic, only the icons size has been changed and nothing else, im not sure with the widget but probably. Mine nothing change same speed i got.
    He said he used the original iNAV theme and said it's probably the springjumps. I agree this may be the case since having iNAV, I do recall safari crashing A LOT!...

... I wonder how it feels to have a non-jailbroken iPhone, lol. Do games ALWAYS work?
    #eli7e revived me

Anything that plugs into mobilesubstrate slows your phone down, so the less of those kinds of things running, the better (ie: blanknull, sbsettings, ect...).