Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: icons and transparent backgrounds

Default icons and transparent backgrounds
    I have run into this a few times. I change out an icon using SSH where the icon I am using has no background. After I upload the icon and respring, I see my icon, but it has a square mostly transparent box around it. I assume there is a seting in a file that activates that bckground.

I am using 3.0 beta 3 (jailbroken of course) so I cannot use Winterboard or some other easier method to change icons. I noticed this happening on only a few icons, so I know it is a setting for the app and not the system.

I hope I explained it well enough.

Thanks.

Jeff-

Sounds to me like the icon image wasnt formatted/saved correctly when made. If using photoshop you need to make sure the background is set to "transparent" and more importantly, you cant "flatten" the image when you done editing or it will give it a background like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Sounds to me like the icon image wasnt formatted/saved correctly when made. If using photoshop you need to make sure the background is set to "transparent" and more importantly, you cant "flatten" the image when you done editing or it will give it a background like that.
    I am using Photoshop. I will check, but I do not think that is the problem, since I took a icon that works properly from another app and it to took on the background. This is happening with WikiTap and The Weather Channel apps.

Quote Originally Posted by jml6278 View Post
    I have run into this a few times. I change out an icon using SSH where the icon I am using has no background. After I upload the icon and respring, I see my icon, but it has a square mostly transparent box around it. I assume there is a seting in a file that activates that bckground.

I am using 3.0 beta 3 (jailbroken of course) so I cannot use Winterboard or some other easier method to change icons. I noticed this happening on only a few icons, so I know it is a setting for the app and not the system.

I hope I explained it well enough.

Thanks.

Jeff-
    Has anyone else seen this problem? I am sure that it is the apps and not the icons. Are there any settings that would force a square semi-transparent background behind the icon that I replaced?

If the issue was with the icon then I would think I would get the default icon INSTEAD of rather than combining that icon with my custom icon. I am not a novice by any means, but I have limited experience modding the iPhone (especially since I cannot use Winterboard or the like).

I really need this answered, as I am 2 icons away from completing my mod.

Thanks.

Jeff
    Last edited by jml6278; 2009-04-18 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I made a thread about the same problem. It was proposed that App Store apps had a built in gloss feature (some icons just seemed to have alot more drop shadow, while others have that and the patented touch app glossy look even though the icons are normal otherwise)

I don't know if we have the same problem but I hope that helped.