Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3G Modding Questions

Default Iphone 3G Modding Questions
    Just jail broke my iphone and started using winterboard and playing with the themes and all. But I want to get into making my own stuff or taking different backgrounds and icon images from other themes and putting into my iphone. So ive been looking around and reading a lot but I cant figure out how to on the iphone 3g 2.2.1 software how to be able to customize my iphone the way i want to. For example using a lock screen theme from one person, changing the "slide to unlock" wording and etc. I see that people were getting into the system and changing the code but I dont see any for the 2.2.1.

It's best to install themes that do the sort of things you want to do. For example, if you want to change the "slide to unlock" text, install a theme that does that. (In fact, the "Saurik" theme that comes with Winterboard does it.) Then look in your phone's file system at /Library/Themes/[name of theme] and see how it is done, and then modify it to your liking.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).