Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Making transparent icons

Default Making transparent icons
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone had an easy method or hell any method at all of taking an AppStore Icon and making it into a transparent icon. For example this theme - Apple Forums | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, Mods, More - Downloads - iHour Vegas - has transparent icons but not all the ones I want, I would like to be able to make them on my own and hopefully post them for others to use.

Edit: I know how to take an Application icon and change it to be edited in PhotoShop but I can't get them to be transparent and keep a 2-D or 3-D image.

Ok well I figured out how to make a transparent icon, now I just need to figure out how to create a shadow on the icon and i'll be set
    Last edited by andrewthegreat38; 2008-09-21 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Depending on the shadow your wanting to create, it should be under "Blending options" for that layer.

I figured out the shadow, thanks for the help!

I am trying to match the size of the iHour template, his icons say 60x60 but when I try 60x60 my icons seem too big and when I try 57x57 my icons seem to small... I guess I'll mess around with 58x58 and 59x59.

60/60 is about normal. Make sure when you first create the file (start new) that you are using a "pixel aspect ratio" of "square". I believe it defaults to this, but changing it will also change the sizing.

But if his are 60/60, yours being 60/60 should be exactly the same size.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

andrewthegreat38 (2008-09-22)

Yea I'm pretty sure it does default to it. iHour seems to be using a weird aspect ratio. I think I tried 58x57 or vis-versa and it matched all the others... Created a couple decent icons. I'm still wondering how the hell to change an existing icon. There aren't .psd files on the iphone is there? or a way to change a .png to a .psd and actually have layers?

Default icons
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewthegreat38 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone had an easy method or hell any method at all of taking an AppStore Icon and making it into a transparent icon. For example this theme - Apple Forums | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, Mods, More - Downloads - iHour Vegas - has transparent icons but not all the ones I want, I would like to be able to make them on my own and hopefully post them for others to use.

Edit: I know how to take an Application icon and change it to be edited in PhotoShop but I can't get them to be transparent and keep a 2-D or 3-D image.

Ok well I figured out how to make a transparent icon, now I just need to figure out how to create a shadow on the icon and i'll be set
    Is there any chance you could post a little tutorial on how to make them transparent?

Cheers!

You could take transparent icons from another theme and rename it to what you want it to be. I do it with mobilefinder on 2.X and iFile on 3.0