Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: changing AppStore installed app icons??? look inside

Default changing AppStore installed app icons??? look inside
    now i know how to change regular icons like phone, sms, mail, etc etc...

and how to change Cydia/Installer installed app icons as well..

but my problem is with SOME, and i repeat, only SOME AppStore installed apps.

I know they are in the private/var/mobile/applications ... but only certain apps have an actually icon.png file... some dont, so if it doesnt have an icon.png file, how the hell do you change the icon??

2 examples... Weatherbug and VNC lite... i want to change the icons for both but neither have an icon.png file under their folder.

any help here???

2nd Gen appstore apps are located here /private/var/mobile/Applications

The folder names will look like this /CB643DA1-738D-4EBB-B86F-2F3044BC93F9.

Inside the folder will be the main app folders and files.

Icons could have other names instead of icon.png it could be something like the icon I made here which is the named one in the appstore vnc app.

This is the VNC Lite icon on my phone "vnciconLITE.png" Feel free to use it if you like.

You can change any icon you want.
    Last edited by bklynjava; 2008-08-02 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynjava View Post
    2nd Gen appstore apps are located here /private/var/mobile/Applications

Inside the folder will be the main app folders and files.

This is the VNC Lite icon on my phone I made it real quick and changed it just now.

You can change any icon you want.

did you even read my post? i already know all that. but certain apps dont even have an "icon.png" file to replace with a new one to have a different icon.

go into the vnc lite app folder or weatherbug folder and tell me if you see an "icon.png" file in there... you wont.

ok i figured it out finally... some apps from the AppStore dont have the icon named "icon.png" so that was throwing me off. Almost all apps have it labeled that except for a few from AppStore, so i had to go thru and figure out which one was which.

And for some reason when i copy png files from my phone to my PC, it wont let me view the file to see what the icon looks like. I can view other png files already on my PC and see them fine, just not ones i pull off the phone. weird...
    Last edited by stylin97; 2008-07-24 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you search for iPhone PNG, you will discover that the iPhone has a proprietary Apple only PNG format it uses for built-in graphics, that is not compatible with most desktop OS tools.

There are programs that can convert the file such as FixPNG or iPhoneBrowser.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

Quote Originally Posted by stylin97 View Post
    did you even read my post? i already know all that. but certain apps dont even have an "icon.png" file to replace with a new one to have a different icon.

go into the vnc lite app folder or weatherbug folder and tell me if you see an "icon.png" file in there... you wont.

ok i figured it out finally... some apps from the AppStore dont have the icon named "icon.png" so that was throwing me off. Almost all apps have it labeled that except for a few from AppStore, so i had to go thru and figure out which one was which.

And for some reason when i copy png files from my phone to my PC, it wont let me view the file to see what the icon looks like. I can view other png files already on my PC and see them fine, just not ones i pull off the phone. weird...
    Glad to see you figured it out.

I also gave you the icon with the correct name figuring you would see that.

will your apps stop when you reset ur phone after u change ur icons?
    THANK OR DIE

Hello

I had this problem, the iPhone was not any more able to launch these apps, no Idea why. Perhaps it will work if we convert the icons back to the format used on the iPhone only. There are also several Apps where, after I changed the icon, there still was a kind of overlay of the regular icon style around that icon. There must be somewhere something like "background" of the icons. But was not able to locate this.

Perhaps you are able to find this?

Kind regards from Germany
    Tommy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

anyone ever find a viable solution for this, the apps(appstore) quit working that is.

Quote Originally Posted by tommybiro View Post
    Hello

I had this problem, the iPhone was not any more able to launch these apps, no Idea why. Perhaps it will work if we convert the icons back to the format used on the iPhone only. There are also several Apps where, after I changed the icon, there still was a kind of overlay of the regular icon style around that icon. There must be somewhere something like "background" of the icons. But was not able to locate this.

Perhaps you are able to find this?

Kind regards from Germany
    Tommy
    Check the permission of the png icon, I believe that should solve your problem.

iPhone? More like MyPhone broncosi's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok i have searched and cant find the thread where i read this but here it goes.

Like everyone said, you can not change an app store icon it will make it corrupt and will not work anymore.

SOLUTION:

Change the icon like this and get back to me:

Find the app you want to change the icon of under: /private/var/mobile/Applications

Inside the folder will be the main app folders and files. Find the Info.plist for the app which will look something like this(for weatherbug):

bplist00�

!_CFBundleVersion_CFBundleIdentifier]NSMainNibFile_CFBundleIconFile_CFBundleShortVe rsionString_CFBundleExecutableYDTSDKName_UIReq uiresPersistentWiFi_MinimumOSVersion_CFBundleD evelopmentRegion^DTPlatformName_CFBundleInfoDict ionaryVersion_CFBundleResourceSpecification_CF BundleDisplayName_CFBundleSignature_CFBundlePa ckageType_LSRequiresIPhoneOS\CFBundleNameW1.1.0. 3_com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow_apple-touch-icon.pngS1.1ZWeatherBug[iphoneos2.1 S2.1RenXiphoneosS6.0_ResourceRules.plistT????TAP PL

Navigate through it and your looking for a bit that starts with: com. which is normally towards the end of the string. In Weatherbugs info.plist it happens to be: com.aws.weatherbug.pro

Now you need to either create a new theme or piggyback on an existing one. Themes for winterboard can be found under /root/library/themes. I simply added into an existing theme. If you are going to use an existing theme(found to be easier) then chose one that has a bundles folder under it. Right click the bundles folder and add a 'New Folder...'. Your new folder name, under bundles should be the com. . . from the info.plist we looked at earlier under your apps folder. So under bundles for weatherbug, i added a folder titled: com.aws.weatherbug.pro

After this is done, you can now drop any custom icon(as long as it is .png and sized right) into this folder and make sure it is named the same name as the file you are replacing. So in the Weatherbug app file, again, the icon is named: apple-touch-icon.png, so i will name my custom icon the same. In most apps the icon is simply named: icon.png but in others you will have to search through like in weatherbug.

One more note, when adding a new bundles folder into a theme, if you respring and your icon does not change as expected, try adjusting your file name that you pulled out of the apps info.plist. For example, under weatherbug there is the string that starts with com. that is: com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow_

so i wasnt sure how long to make the folder name so i tried:

1. com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow_
    2. com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow
    3. com.aws.weatherbug.pro
    4. com.aws.weatherbug

and added my icon to each folder then re-sprang while each time deleting a folder to narrow it down to which one was correct(which ended up being #3 com.aws.weatherbug.pro)

Also make sure you have the theme activated under Winterboard!

This was written on the fly and works fine for me. Let me know if you have any problems(I'm sure people will, but i don't mind helping) or anything you'd like to add in.

Again, someone else on here helped me with this but i could not find that thread so I'm posting this around on the threads that people are having trouble with changing app store icons.

Help others out, if you find a info.plist string that worked for your app let us know and post it as a response.

WeatherBug: com.aws.weatherbug.pro
    GoogleMobile: com.google.GoogleMobile

Did this help you? Please Thank Me!