Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to change App Store Programs' Icons?

Default How to change App Store Programs' Icons?
    I am using SSH to change the icons on my iPhone, but I can't seem to find where my Apps Store Programs are located in SSH? Can someone please show me where it is, and do I just change it the same way by changing the icon.png file? Thanks for the help!

I have the same question.

/private/var/mobile/Applications

im just trying to figure out how to get an app SSH'd in because i chose not to sync Super Monkey Ball, and trying to figure out how to ssh it in but all the other apps have a folder named with a lot of numbers, letters, and dashes like a serial number sort of, and inside there are 4 folders, one of which is whatever.app.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trpcltrbl For This Useful Post:

dncrgrl (2008-09-04)

Quote Originally Posted by vegeto2k2222 View Post
    I am using SSH to change the icons on my iPhone, but I can't seem to find where my Apps Store Programs are located in SSH? Can someone please show me where it is, and do I just change it the same way by changing the icon.png file? Thanks for the help!
    You can't change any of the App Store applications icons. If you change any of the icons in any of the programs, they won't open. You'll end up having to delete the app and re-install.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to princess_80854 For This Useful Post:

kevin.fr (2008-12-22)

Thanks

so much for a matching theme of icons (eventually). Guess if Categories ever gets ported to 2.0 one could hide the app store apps in a folder .

Quote Originally Posted by princess_80854 View Post
    You can't change any of the App Store applications icons. If you change any of the icons in any of the programs, they won't open. You'll end up having to delete the app and re-install.
    I've posted this at MacThemes, but though it might help some people out here:

Okay, I've found a consistent way to change the icons of App Store applications AND still have them work.

1) Make sure your custom icon is 57X57.
    2) Download the app's icon to your computer (using your favorite SFTP client).
    3) Convert the app's png file using Fixpng (Google it if you don't have it).
    4) Open up the downloaded/converted png file in an image editor (i.e. Photoshop).
    5) Replace the original graphic with YOUR custom graphic.
    7) Save and upload back into your iPhone (as a png file of course).
    8) Edit the plist file as pyn explained if needed to get rid of the "square button background." - see this MacThemes thread on how to do this
    9) Restart/respring Springboard.

Note: This may be more complicated than necessary, but I found that simply replacing a 57X57 png file with the original did not work (like you can do with 60x60 Apple/jailbroken app icons). But using the original image and then swapping out the graphic seemed to do the trick. If there's an easier way, then please post!

Here's a screenshot - you'll have to trust me that both Remote and Pandora work.

Note 2: I have not tried to see if Cydia updates break this [this was a concern on the MacThemes board]

Hope this helps!

Works fine for me with just replacing the old icon.png to a new one. I did notice that some of the app store apps have changed the name of icon.png to something else.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, i can change any appstore icon easy.
    Note: You have to follow this precisely or it wont work. At least for me.
    1.Import over the icon.png (names can vary) to the application's directory.
    2.Start the application on your iPhone
    3.Respring
    4.Have fun

Worked every time so far.

Now my applications are dying one after the other. =( Ah... what a shame.
    Last edited by Celleye; 2008-07-22 at 07:17 AM.
    Hai.

Default Change App store loaded ICONS or PNG
    From SSH follow tho this directory

/private/var/mobile/Applications

From here each of your primary icons will be titled
    (icon.png) or (Icon.png)

save the icon you want to replace it with as the name. Then simply drag it to the iphone and click "YES" when it asks if you want to overwrite your other file.

That is it and that is all.

Enjoy

Actually you would change "homescreen.png." At least on the ones I have. But I save my original png to my desktop first, then change it inside the folder.

download a theme from cydia that you like that have alot of icons. then go to var/stash/themes/ your theme that you have downloaded and then go to icons.
    in there you see alot off icons like amazone.png. just change the name to appstore app like motochase.png and reboot your phone nd you got a new icon for motochace.

iPhone? More like MyPhone broncosi's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok i have searched and cant find the thread where i read this but here it goes.

Like everyone said, you can not change an app store icon it will make it corrupt and will not work anymore.

SOLUTION:

Change the icon like this and get back to me:

Find the app you want to change the icon of under: /private/var/mobile/Applications

The folder names will look like this /CB643DA1-738D-4EBB-B86F-2F3044BC93F9.

Inside the folder will be the main app folders and files. Find the Info.plist for the app which will look something like this(for weatherbug):

bplist00�

!_CFBundleVersion_CFBundleIdentifier]NSMainNibFile_CFBundleIconFile_CFBundleShortVe rsionString_CFBundleExecutableYDTSDKName_UIReq uiresPersistentWiFi_MinimumOSVersion_CFBundleD evelopmentRegion^DTPlatformName_CFBundleInfoDict ionaryVersion_CFBundleResourceSpecification_CF BundleDisplayName_CFBundleSignature_CFBundlePa ckageType_LSRequiresIPhoneOS\CFBundleNameW1.1.0. 3_com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow_apple-touch-icon.pngS1.1ZWeatherBug[iphoneos2.1 S2.1RenXiphoneosS6.0_ResourceRules.plistT????TAP PL

Navigate through it and your looking for a bit that starts with: com. which is normally towards the end of the string. In Weatherbugs info.plist it happens to be: com.aws.weatherbug.pro

Now you need to either create a new theme or piggyback on an existing one. Themes for winterboard can be found under /root/library/themes. I simply added into an existing theme. If you are going to use an existing theme(found to be easier) then chose one that has a bundles folder under it. Right click the bundles folder and add a 'New Folder...'. Your new folder name, under bundles should be the com. . . from the info.plist we looked at earlier under your apps folder. So under bundles for weatherbug, i added a folder titled: com.aws.weatherbug.pro

After this is done, you can now drop any custom icon(as long as it is .png and sized right) into this folder and make sure it is named the same name as the file you are replacing. So in the Weatherbug app file, again, the icon is named: apple-touch-icon.png, so i will name my custom icon the same. In most apps the icon is simply named: icon.png but in others you will have to search through like in weatherbug.

One more note, when adding a new bundles folder into a theme, if you respring and your icon does not change as expected, try adjusting your file name that you pulled out of the apps info.plist. For example, under weatherbug there is the string that starts with com. that is: com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow_

so i wasnt sure how long to make the folder name so i tried:

1. com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow_
    2. com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow
    3. com.aws.weatherbug.pro
    4. com.aws.weatherbug

and added my icon to each folder then re-sprang while each time deleting a folder to narrow it down to which one was correct(which ended up being #3 com.aws.weatherbug.pro)

Also make sure you have the theme activated under Winterboard!

This was written on the fly and works fine for me. Let me know if you have any problems(I'm sure people will, but i don't mind helping) or anything you'd like to add in.

Again, someone else on here helped me with this but i could not find that thread so I'm posting this around on the threads that people are having trouble with changing app store icons.

Help others out, if you find a info.plist string that worked for your app let us know and post it as a response.

WeatherBug: com.aws.weatherbug.pro
    GoogleMobile: com.google.GoogleMobile

Did this help you? Please Thank Me!

or....

you can download app "rename" v 2.0 from installer, which allows you to change the name of apps and bypass all this for some of the more popular themes which contain a lot of icons.

for example, changing the appstore bank of america app name to simply "bank" allowed my theme to recognize it, since it had an icon built in for "bank" the easiest way to do so is to download the icon set you like to your computer so you can easily scroll through which apps your theme has icons for.

i primarily use the theme "reveal transparent", with icons from "reveal" ported in and some other minor things tweaked, like badges and page dots.

hopefully someone will build a program to easily copy and create our own icons.

Quote Originally Posted by broncosi View Post
    Ok i have searched and cant find the thread where i read this but here it goes.

Like everyone said, you can not change an app store icon it will make it corrupt and will not work anymore.

SOLUTION:

Change the icon like this and get back to me:

Find the app you want to change the icon of under: /private/var/mobile/Applications

The folder names will look like this /CB643DA1-738D-4EBB-B86F-2F3044BC93F9.

Inside the folder will be the main app folders and files. Find the Info.plist for the app which will look something like this(for weatherbug):

bplist00�

!_CFBundleVersion_CFBundleIdentifier]NSMainNibFile_CFBundleIconFile_CFBundleShortVe rsionString_CFBundleExecutableYDTSDKName_UIReq uiresPersistentWiFi_MinimumOSVersion_CFBundleD evelopmentRegion^DTPlatformName_CFBundleInfoDict ionaryVersion_CFBundleResourceSpecification_CF BundleDisplayName_CFBundleSignature_CFBundlePa ckageType_LSRequiresIPhoneOSCFBundleNameW1.1.0.3 _com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow_apple-touch-icon.pngS1.1ZWeatherBug[iphoneos2.1 S2.1RenXiphoneosS6.0_ResourceRules.plistT????TAP PL

Navigate through it and your looking for a bit that starts with: com. which is normally towards the end of the string. In Weatherbugs info.plist it happens to be: com.aws.weatherbug.pro

Now you need to either create a new theme or piggyback on an existing one. Themes for winterboard can be found under /root/library/themes. I simply added into an existing theme. If you are going to use an existing theme(found to be easier) then chose one that has a bundles folder under it. Right click the bundles folder and add a 'New Folder...'. Your new folder name, under bundles should be the com. . . from the info.plist we looked at earlier under your apps folder. So under bundles for weatherbug, i added a folder titled: com.aws.weatherbug.pro

After this is done, you can now drop any custom icon(as long as it is .png and sized right) into this folder and make sure it is named the same name as the file you are replacing. So in the Weatherbug app file, again, the icon is named: apple-touch-icon.png, so i will name my custom icon the same. In most apps the icon is simply named: icon.png but in others you will have to search through like in weatherbug.

One more note, when adding a new bundles folder into a theme, if you respring and your icon does not change as expected, try adjusting your file name that you pulled out of the apps info.plist. For example, under weatherbug there is the string that starts with com. that is: com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow_

so i wasnt sure how long to make the folder name so i tried:

1. com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow_
    2. com.aws.weatherbug.proZMainWindow
    3. com.aws.weatherbug.pro
    4. com.aws.weatherbug

and added my icon to each folder then re-sprang while each time deleting a folder to narrow it down to which one was correct(which ended up being #3 com.aws.weatherbug.pro)

Also make sure you have the theme activated under Winterboard!

This was written on the fly and works fine for me. Let me know if you have any problems(I'm sure people will, but i don't mind helping) or anything you'd like to add in.

Again, someone else on here helped me with this but i could not find that thread so I'm posting this around on the threads that people are having trouble with changing app store icons.

Help others out, if you find a info.plist string that worked for your app let us know and post it as a response.

WeatherBug: com.aws.weatherbug.pro
    GoogleMobile: com.google.GoogleMobile

Did this help you? Please Thank Me!
    Tried this, didn't work for me, I even tried editing the plist file,(my stupidity jacked it up even more) any one have any barney style ideas?

iPhone? More like MyPhone broncosi's Avatar
    Thanks

ok let me try and help you out, what icon for what app are you trying to change?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dre2k4you View Post
    Tried this, didn't work for me, I even tried editing the plist file,(my stupidity jacked it up even more) any one have any barney style ideas?
    are you using 2.2.0 or 2.2.1?

I cant find this appstore app icon Arcade Pool Online, where would it be guys? i want to change the icon =[

iPhone? More like MyPhone duceduc's Avatar
    Thanks

iphoneuphone:

I followed your suggestion. It seems like it works; my apps are not crashing but I have a black background as seen with this screenshot. Do you know how I can get rid of it?

Update.
    After a reboot, 5 of my apps crashed. Just when I was about to redo my apps, I plugged the phone in iTunes to briefly check something , my apps worked again. Not sure if that was fluke or a work around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by duceduc; 2009-10-03 at 02:47 PM.

I have the very same issue.

Ive been searching the net for a week now and still cant find an answer.
    Ive added this to the info.plist with-in springboard folder and also for the apps:
    <key>UIPrerenderedIcon</key>
    <true\>
    then replace the info.plist for the original, Delete the icon caches, located at /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches and respring, - never worked for me.

Ive also changed the image SBGenericAppIcon.png in springboard folder incase it was the original being overlaid but doesnt seem to be.

I cant find anything else to try upto now. Its starting to do my head in a little bit. I installed winterboard and it got rid of the shaddow thing straight away so would love to know what it does. When i removed winterboard the shaddow came back.
    Last edited by Mess`; 2009-10-05 at 11:12 PM.