Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help Corrupt Keyboard Preview Images

Default Help Corrupt Keyboard Preview Images
    Hi Guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble. After using Customize to change my background etc, I found that my keyboard lewtter preview images became garbled. See attached pics

Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it? It's more annoying than anything else. I have tried using alternative keyboards and restoring the backup using Customize to no avail. However I had been having some difficulties with Customize so had been uninstalling and reinstalling at the time. Which probably means my backup files are the corrupt ones anyway :-S

Even if someone knew where these preview images were stored it would be a help. And if you could post them it would be even better ;-)

I'm currently on 1.1.4 and love it to bits, it only I could see my keyboard properly :-(
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -verticalkeyboard.jpg   -horizontalkeyboard.jpg  

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't you just get the original version from someone else's phone... Or pull it from the ram disk of the original firmware.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Because I don't know where the files to replace are :-(

I'm still quite new at this and don't know how to "pull it from the ram disk of the original firmware." Is there a tutorial anywhere?

Thanks

Oh, ok well skip that.
    Ill send you mine and tell you where to put it.
    Do other keyboards changed in customize do the same thing?
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Yea no matter what keyboard i set in customize this problem occurs.

Thanks MattMac.

Thanks

1.1.4 Stock Keyboard

That's the keyboard from my phone. But don't use Customize to install it, SSH into your phone and put the file into "/System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework," overwrite the old file.

Hope it works.
    Last edited by MattMac; 2008-06-16 at 11:06 AM.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks for that.

Unfortunatly even when that was changed it didn't help. I don't think thats the file I'm looking for.
    Do you know of a seperate file containing the pop up previews of the letters?

look just restore your iphone if u cant find a fix because i never seen some thing like that befor
    life as a bootlegger

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I have that problem as well. I am just ignoring it until the next firmware release.

No sense in restoring for a simple asthetic that is barely noticible right before another update.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MacLunatic's Avatar
    Thanks

Restore your phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by defmute View Post
    I have that problem as well. I am just ignoring it until the next firmware release.

No sense in restoring for a simple asthetic that is barely noticible right before another update.
    Which will most likely brick your phone.
    Take our word for it, restore NOW. Do not wait for the new firmware. Apple is currently Contractually Obligated to keep the iphone to at&t. It is very likely that the new firmware will brick your iphone( if unlocked). You should wait 1-2 weeks after the update to see how other peoples phones are turning out AFTER the upgrade. Its the smarter thing to do. Why not be one less? lol.

And BTW: Its a sure fact that restoring it now will stop your keyboard problem, so go for it!
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Atokadd View Post
    Which will most likely brick your phone.
    Take our word for it, restore NOW. Do not wait for the new firmware. Apple is currently Contractually Obligated to keep the iphone to at&t. It is very likely that the new firmware will brick your iphone( if unlocked). You should wait 1-2 weeks after the update to see how other peoples phones are turning out AFTER the upgrade. Its the smarter thing to do. Why not be one less? lol.

And BTW: Its a sure fact that restoring it now will stop your keyboard problem, so go for it!
    Thanks for the info, I am not stupid though. I was planning on waiting till it got up to speed for the hacking community before the final switch. And I am familiar with updating.

Hopefully our friend here is too.

I'm having the same problem right now, the same scenario as you.

Let me know if you get this problem solved, I'm trying to restore.

Anyone have any luck with a restore?

I'm going to give it a go soon and hopefully all will be well :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielM_86 View Post
    Anyone have any luck with a restore?

I'm going to give it a go soon and hopefully all will be well :-)
    Are you installing both files on customize there are 2 artwork files you have to install for each keyboard
    i change mine often and never had an issue

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

Just replace other.artwork with an original artwork.

Okay,
    In an effort to avoid the restore method, I tried to install a keyboard from Installer rather than Customize. This fixed the problem :-D
    So then I swapped the Keyboard-common.artwork file that MattMac uploaded with the new one that had been installed. My keyboard changed to normal and remained fixed! Alhough some buttons, namely numbers and the shift key(only when on) maintain the newer installed keyboard imagery. I think Apple iPie might be write on the money, only question now is, could somebody please upload there original other.artwork file?

Thanks for everyones help.
    Dan

Alright anyone who has been having trouble with this I have it solved :-) Well a hack that gets the keyboard to appear back to normal.

1. Firstly download the other.artwork file here: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/file-mo...work-file.html

2. Download the other original keyboard files here: ModMyI.com - iPhone | iPod Touch forums, news, apps, themes. - Downloads - Stock 1.1.4 Keyboard

3. Add the "Big Boss's Apps and Things." Source

4. Install Chromium KeyBoard from the Planet-iPhones Mods collection

5. Replace the keyboard files with those downloaded earlier, and Tuddah! Keyboard back to original and working :-)

Keyboard files located: /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/

Hope this helps people.

If I've done something dumb, or possibly damaging please feel free to recommend a better way to fix this :-)
    Last edited by DanielM_86; 2008-06-18 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well I just tried that and halfway through the transfer it gave me an error. So now 3/4 of my apps dont open (including installer and the settings) so now I will probably have to restore it. crap
    edit: nevermind, I had to set the winscp to scp instead of sftp
    Last edited by nosenuggets45; 2008-06-26 at 05:07 AM.

Spot on worked first time many thanks!