Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I download themes to my phone?

Default How do I download themes to my phone?
    Hi everyone. I'm new at this so I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I want to download some of the cool themes I see here on the Download page but Im not sure how to get them on my phone. What do I have to do after I download the themes I like to my computer? (how do i get them on to my phone?) I've never really downloaded themes, I've always just used the themes that are available through Installer, but the selection is really limited. Can anyone give a walkthrough on how to do this? Thanks to all.

I really like the retro dialer ver. 2.0.

1. jailbreakme.com (go here and install it from your iphone). a new icon will be on your iphone called installer. this app lets you install all kinds of other apps.

2. install SummerBoard from installer. (then you can install themes directly from your phone without having to go through any of the trouble listed below). go back into installer and you'll see a category for Themes (SummerBoard). Install away!

3. Now if you still want to move them from your computer to your iphone, see below.

4. install BSD subsystem (from list of apps available from Installer)

5. install OpenSSH. once installed and having access to your wifi get your iphones IP address from Settings->Wifi->click the arrow next to the wifi network you are connected to. you'll then see your IP address.

6. SSH into your phone. ssh -l root 10.x.x.x (use your ip address). if using a mac just use the Terminal app to ssh. if windows, Find one.

7. Use password "dottie" or "alpine" when asked after ssh'ing into your phone.

8. get a SFTP program to transfer files to your iphone from your computer. server will be your IP address of your iphone, user = root, password = dottie or alpine.

9. Summerboard themes are in Library/SummerBoard/Themes/ , this is the directory you'll place your themes. each theme should have it's own folder.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2007-11-14 at 09:12 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

ajaxuk (2007-11-17), david2082 (2007-11-14)

Default Thanks
    Thanks, So I have to SSH into my phone to be able to install any of the themes i see here (modmyi.com)? I already have "installer" but none of the themes i see here are downloadable through installer.

correct
    PM me if you need to.

If I help then Please Thank me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

david2082 (2007-11-14)

Default Ok.
    Ok thanks, I'm going to give it a try later when I get home from work. I really like a few of the themes I see here and I also want that Retro Dialer I see. I hope I can figure it out with your instructions. But If I need help I'll ask you for some help. Thanks again...

I'm just a little bit confused when I get to step 6. I'm running on windows and I already have Winscp which I think is the program I need to transfer files from my computer to the phone. I just get lost when it comes to having to use a terminal app. (not sure where to find one) or what to type in the terminal. Sorry if I'm being a bother. I've never SSHed before and i'm not that computer savvy. I just have some basic knowledge on how to do things. If I not making any sense don't worry about it. Thanks for all you help.
    Last edited by david2082; 2007-11-14 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by david2082 View Post
    Ok thanks, I'm going to give it a try later when I get home from work. I really like a few of the themes I see here and I also want that Retro Dialer I see. I hope I can figure it out with your instructions. But If I need help I'll ask you for some help. Thanks again...

I'm just a little bit confused when I get to step 6. I'm running on windows and I already have Winscp which I think is the program I need to transfer files from my computer to the phone. I just get lost when it comes to having to use a terminal app. (not sure where to find one) or what to type in the terminal. Sorry if I'm being a bother. I've never SSHed before and i'm not that computer savvy. I just have some basic knowledge on how to do things. If I not making any sense don't worry about it. Thanks for all you help.
    sorry I fix the typo. well kind of.

Default Hey one last quick question.
    One last quick question before I get home and give this a try. I know that when I download any themes I have to place them in the "Library/Summerboard/Themes/" folder, but if I want to download a "Bar Dialer" where should I place those folders?

Try iPhoneBrowser and let me know if what you need it to do different

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have summerboard installed on my iphone (1.1.2) now i can use the themes that come with summerboard and i can also download ones from installer and use them but i can't upload my own. I am using fugu to connect to my phone but i don't have a directory Library/SummerBoard/Themes/ can someone help with this?

EDIT: Never mind i found it var/root/Library/SummerBoard/Themes/
    Last edited by srbug; 2007-11-22 at 08:38 AM.

hi everyone i really need your help i still cant understand how to download it to my phone...help me plzzz...tnx

Banned
    Thanks

You need to have a jailbroken iPhone to start with. This thread here is completely old and out of date.

click here

Follow the guides on this forum.

This thread has some of my very first posts...

How to SFTP Winterboard themes 2.x

1. install OpenSSH
    (from list of apps available from Cydia)

2. install winterboard
    (from list of apps available from Cydia)

3. Get a SFTP program to SSH to your iphone from your computer
    (MAC FuGu--Wiki Guide / PC WinSCP--Wiki Guide)

4. SFTP settings: Server will be your IP address of your iphone, User = root, password = dottie or alpine.
    (get your iphones IP address from Settings->Wifi->click the arrow next to the wifi network you are connected to. you'll then see your IP address)

5. Winterboard themes go in /Library/Themes/ , this is the directory you'll place your themes. each theme should have it's own folder.

i still can't get it..were can i download this staff? tnx..

Banned
    Thanks

You need to Jailbreak your phone in order to install those applications. Once your phone is jailbroken "Cydia" will be installed and you be able to search and download the neccesary applications to get themes on your phone. If you do not know how to jailbreak, use the guides on this forum or you can always search google/this site.