Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pwnage Restore/Boot icon requests

Help please... I have just tried for 2 hours in Photoshop to get this image working but failed miserably.. Please could someone sort it so I can use it for my boot image in Pwnage...

Thanks guys...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -boot.jpg  

Hmm, is there a way to apply these boot images through SSH?

I dont think so, only way ive seen mentioned are by Pwnage when building custom firmware or by opening firmware packages
    If You Needed It, Like It Or It Was Helpful -Click THANKS

Unhappy How do I save the PNG in a format that Pwnage likes?
    I have been using PS CS3 to make a boot logo to use with pwnage. I can create the png, but pwnage says it is the wrong type of png... WTF? I have tried saving for web/device as PNG 8 and PNG 24, neither work. I have added an Alpha layer but that doesn't seem to work either. When I have gone to Save As, there is an option to include the alpha channel but it is greyd out when I choose the file type PNG....

I am really confused.. May I being a twit? Can PS even save the right type of PNG or should I be using something else? Is there a programme to convert a png to the 'correct' type of png...

Confused??? Me too!!!

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated..

Default Logos
    Quickly, iPhoneJunkie UK, that photo is way to complicated to make work for the boot logo. It needs to be under 100k AT LEAST and that's not going to happen with your selection.

This seems to be an issue for everyone. Create a new file 320x480 pixels with background set to transparency. Take whatever other picture you want, the smaller the better, and resize/crop/cutout until you have what you want. Then, copy that part and paste it on the "new" transparency. Other than text (if you want it) don't do anything else to the file. Using Gimp (pc users) save for web, png, 24. Photoshop users, simply save as, png. As long as it's below 100 kb you should be good to go. (complicated photos won't work because you need to get the .png file below the suggested 100 or less-again, the smaller the better-I've got some to work at 88 kb and the attached logo is actually 96! The biggest I've ever got to work. So keep the picture simple or small) Also remember that all spaces in the transparency that aren't covered by the photo that you added, will show up as black on the phone. The stock apple that shows up when you start the iphone is 12k and just a cutout. Haha! Simplicity. I've attached a boot logo as a quick example. Check it out. This shows the other necessity, you must leave some transparency around the edges of the png. This example is a little extreme in that I left a lot of room, technically you should only need a few pixel border, but you get the idea. It has to be there. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bootpwnage.png  
    Last edited by swinger360; 2008-07-24 at 12:00 AM. Reason: clarify

7. The Following User Says Thank You to swinger360 For This Useful Post:

iPhoneJunkie UK (2008-07-24)

Talking Thank You!!
    Quote Originally Posted by swinger360 View Post
    Quickly, iPhoneJunkie UK, that photo is way to complicated to make work for the boot logo. It needs to be under 100k AT LEAST and that's not going to happen with your selection.

This seems to be an issue for everyone. Create a new file 320x480 pixels with background set to transparency. Take whatever other picture you want, the smaller the better, and resize/crop/cutout until you have what you want. Then, copy that part and paste it on the "new" transparency. Other than text (if you want it) don't do anything else to the file. Using Gimp (pc users) save for web, png, 24. Photoshop users, simply save as, png. As long as it's below 100 kb you should be good to go. (complicated photos won't work because you need to get the .png file below the suggested 100 or less-again, the smaller the better-I've got some to work at 88 kb and the attached logo is actually 96! The biggest I've ever got to work. So keep the picture simple or small) Also remember that all spaces in the transparency that aren't covered by the photo that you added, will show up as black on the phone. The stock apple that shows up when you start the iphone is 12k and just a cutout. Haha! Simplicity. I've attached a boot logo as a quick example. Check it out. This shows the other necessity, you must leave some transparency around the edges of the png. This example is a little extreme in that I left a lot of room, technically you should only need a few pixel border, but you get the idea. It has to be there. Good luck!
    You are my hero! Thank you for this. I was obviously over thinking and reading too many varied posts... Your simple explanation helped and I now have a cool boot screen (not too complicated ).

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by rusty778 View Post
    really? I downloaded the image and made a new custom IPSW and it seemed to work fine
    How do you make the IPSW? if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by rusty778 View Post
    really? I downloaded the image and made a new custom IPSW and it seemed to work fine
    Better yet i'm on a 3G iphone and i'd just like the stock applelogo back.. does anyone already have a ipsw with this logo? i'm using winxp
    Last edited by gmane; 2008-07-24 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iFerrari
    for the ferrari lovers..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -default_boot.png   -default_restore.png  

guys i have tried all of the instructions above and i still cant get this boot screen going can someone please help me out i dont understand what i could possible be doing wrong and its so frustrating.

i attached the file below in jpg format.

ive tried getting the file onto the custom firmware with a file size as small as 30kb and it still says the file is wrong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -jay-iphone.jpg  

at jay,

Your image is too wide. If you read the image guidelines in pwnage it says it has to be UNDER 320x480 so the widest your image can be is 319 and the tallest it can be is 479. I was stuck on this for a while too.

Default i like this
    I have this on my 3G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -pwnedoptimiert.png  

Banned
    Thanks

I recently made this one

i added a little to this one for my iphone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -attapplebootorangej.png  

These should work as bootscreens

(edit) actually, I could not get them under 100KB with the lattice background so I had to remake them without it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -globalwarming.png   -healthcare.png   -strangers.png   -globalwarming2.png   -healthcare2.png   -strangers2.png  
    Last edited by 4nic8tor; 2008-08-25 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneJunkie UK View Post
    Help please... I have just tried for 2 hours in Photoshop to get this image working but failed miserably.. Please could someone sort it so I can use it for my boot image in Pwnage...

Thanks guys...
    Try this...

(edit) Actually, if these really have to be less than 100KB then this will not work. Not sure how to make this one smaller either...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -applewater.png  
    Last edited by 4nic8tor; 2008-08-25 at 04:31 AM.

heres some i made
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -apple-boot.png   -iphone-boot.png   -iphone-boot-5.png  

19. The Following User Says Thank You to buddyisonfire For This Useful Post:

iamnintendork (2008-09-13)

Here is a quick guide
    1. open any picture file you want in photoshop
    2. in the layers section duplicate the layer by right clicking the mouse and change the name to whatever
    3. delete the first layer (usually called background)
    4. now you should only have one layer that you named
    5. save as, when the window pops up it should already selected .png as your file
    6. remember the file has to be 320x480 or smaller and under 100k so keep adjusting the file to you meet the requirements.

if you need help send me the pic and I will get it back to you.
    [email protected]

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Napinth For This Useful Post:

Flybeast0408 (2010-01-22)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12