Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MMI Restricted Forum/Lounge???

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Default MMI Restricted Forum/Lounge???
    I've been quite curious as to whether or not MMI has given any consideration to having a restricted forum on the list. A number of the sites I've frequented in the past had a forum restricted to only preapproved members, everyone would be allowed to view the forum but only preapproved members could post. The best example of it would be the "Legends Lounge" in the track and field site, Dyestat.com (though they were recently bought by disney so they are now on the rise.espn.com family and the members formed their own clone of the old forums at TrackTalk). Basically, the mods (they had much fewer mods and would be equivalent of supermods on here) would, upon request by the member, review the persons participation on the forums, based upon post count, post quality, # of reports and infractions, etc. and then either grant or deny permission to post post in the Lounge. All of this just created a small part of the site that the "regulars" could frequent and avoid the routine posts by each incoming wave of newbies in the rest of the forums. If any of it doesn't make sense just ask and I'll try to explain it better.

Has this ever been tried here at MMI? Has it been considered at all? I think it would be a great addition to an already pretty awesome site, and with the "screening" of the members of the lounge, there would be a much lower need for mods to patrol it (although on the other sites, even the mods favor said forum as it's a much more peaceful spot to communicate).

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

It's called Staff Forum. Minus the everyone viewing it.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

dale1v (2010-07-13)

Thanks

But, it's for mods and owners.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

IMO Senior members should be able to see it >

ATLEATS MY THREAD!
    EDM

Thanks

I knew Zeal would show up in here. I actually surprised he wasn't "FIRST!!!!1!!!11!!!"

The Zeal thread is epic. Anytime I feel down I always look at it for a laugh.

I think that the admission process would be a pretty big sum for the people that would do the selecting.

Thanks

It might be something good, but at the same time, people will complain.

Moderating the posts is a good idea as the MMi Reviews section moderates the posts.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Just pick me and well call it a day kthcx
    EDM

Thanks

I don't see the admission process being that big of a deal though. Hell, each of the mods could probably list off a dozen or two to be accepted right away just off the top of their heads. It wouldn't be an instantaneous thing either, it'd be at the mods leisure. basically it works like this: say i want to be allowed to post in the lounge, I would pm a supermod (or for that matter we could make a specific thread for requests) and then & only then would the mod review my account for approval. ON the other sites the review process wasn't much at all, just a quick review of post count and reports, etc. For the most part, frequent posters were allowed in without much hassle so long as they didn't have much of a history of crossing the line, reports, bannings, etc. In the past when we've done it, most people would find themselves waiting a couple of weeks to hear back on their request. Eventually it got to the point that the mods were usually familiar with the people that were making the requests, either because of their contributions to the forums already or because they were already members that had been repeatedly in trouble. Of course supermods would also be able to withdraw the permission to post in the Lounge if need be.

As far as the moderating of the posts goes, of course there will need to be some watching over done, but far less than on the other forums. I mean hell, even Zeal has a pretty good understanding of what is and is not acceptable.

awesomeiPod - People are going to complain about everything and already do as you're well aware on the Geohot threads

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    I mean hell, even Zeal has a pretty good understanding of what is and is not acceptable.
    Actually i dont
    EDM

Thanks

Yea and it took a ban to get him to see that lol.

Thanks

True, but since then he seems to dance the fine line pretty well.

Anyways, any other opinions as to why this wouldn't be good?

Also, should this be put in the Site Suggestions subforum?

iPhone? More like MyPhone NinetyFour's Avatar
    Thanks

I've heard of something like this in a magic forum that I used to be in. It was called Area 51, and nobody knew what was in it, and the people that were granted permission did not speak of it at all. They wouldn't even say what kind of things were said in there. It always creeped me out.
    Owner of the Unofficial ModMyi Palringo Chat Group. Join today!

We've got information in the information age but do we know what life is outside of our convenient Lexus cages?

no. NO. its called the staff forum, and its for the random abundant number of mods. this is not gonna happen.

and zeal does not have a good understanding of whats acceptable. at ALL.

Don't forget about the Super Secret Themers Forum other then that its not going to happen

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't think it's a good idea, after all we are supposed to be helping each other on here. What's gonna happen if all the knowledgable folk are all hanging around in their own "secret" forum?

i have a solution, make me a mod! lol jk

The only thing i wanna see in the staff section is the Zeal thread, unless there is a thread on me
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

it wouldnt suprise me, the "worthless post thread".
    lol jk waldo jk. u havent been AS bad about that lately

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    The only thing i wanna see in the staff section is the Zeal thread, unless there is a thread on me
    +1
    EDM

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

"The Newbie Lounge" The threads only accessible by new people at ModMyi. "The Experienced lounge", people who know what they're talking about. "Secret theme maker lounge", "Moderators only lounge" And The BlackOPS lounge. And of course... The Zeal Lounge. FTW! Haha

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast