Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Search functionality = complete fail

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Search functionality = complete fail
    While I can respect that there is a lot of information on this site, I find myself being frustrated time and time again at the inability to search for just about anything specific.

Currently it is one or the other. Either there are no results, or there are "too many" and it doesn't display anything at all.

I find it fairly frustrating even when trying to drill down into a specific subsection that the search functionality seems completely broken currently.

Is there any way to have someone take a look at this or let us know that it's just "too bad" and to learn to live with it?

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

you can try googling "modmyi ______" inserting whatever keywords you need there and it'll probably come up with something better than the search here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

^+1

This sites search function could use an overhaul...not that MOST people ever use it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    ^+1

This sites search function could use an overhaul...not that MOST people ever use it.
    I think the question is thus:

If the search functionality actually worked, would it cut down the clutter, even to a small degree.

Honestly I think the answer would be yes. I've posted things now and again that likely cluttering up a thread that had nothing to do with it because the search tool didn't work.

While I'm not condoning those actions, and I generally try to keep away from falling into that type of funk, I find myself saddened that such a large and popular site doesn't have a working search feature when so many of the "older" members harp on people for not using it.

It's a frustrating situation where new members either can't find the information that they are looking for, or are lambasted by the elder members for not searching.

I'd felt that way when I first started coming to this site, but knowing that there was so much information here, I just plodded through with what I felt has been a subpar experience for a site such as this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

You're a few yrs late on the search complaints. It's never worked. Part of the issue has always been the super high traffic of MMI. With that much bandwidth being blown to heck, Cash has used alternative searches to help with the server load (like the google search integration). So basically either pay the bills, or get good at google searching. this is nothing new and it isn't changing until Cash strikes the lotto.

I just plodded through with what I felt has been a subpar experience for a site such as this.
    IPTF is waiting........

Complain about the ads while you're here and we'll just make it a two-for.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

if you are getting zero results add * to the end of your words

and search words must be at least 3 characters

as for new search, one1 addressed the server resource issues which is why google search is the main search in the nav bar. We have looked through the options of other search modules for our setup and have not found any options we consider viable/better so far . . .

people can still use the default search, you'll notice search this forum, search this thread, etc dropdowns throughout the site which all utilize Apple Forums & iPhone Forums, Mods, Hacks, News, Themes, Downloads, and more! | ModMyi.com - Search Forums

if you are getting zero results add * to the end of your words and search words must be at least 3 characters

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My issue isn't with zero results, but when I search this thread for "Blackberry" it comes up with the following message.

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : blackberry
    Maybe a mod can help me figure out how many instances of the word "Blackberry" are in that thread since the search tool can't, but I honestly having a hard time believing that of less than 900 messages, there are too many to display through the search functionality.

Could I ask what the maximum results can/will be? Maybe that would better help me figure out some of the search methodology in place? Also, is there a way to force some words to be used even if the search engine deems them "too common?"

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

I tried that same search in the link you provided and here are the results, only difference is I added the * at the end of the word. It works......better

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

max search results are set at 500. sticking * on the end of your words is the trick.