Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A "How To" Tutorial Guide for making your own Ringtones via iTunes

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Default A "How To" Tutorial Guide for making your own Ringtones via iTunes
    Ok guys, I haven't seen anything like this posted so I thought I'd take the time to make a How to Guide for making your own Ringtones via iTunes for free (A little added bonus, your ringtones DO NOT have to be limited to 30-45 seconds and can be as long or short as you want it to be). It is extremely easy but requires you to have a Jailbroken iphone and an SSH program to put the ringtone into your phone (Note: this is for those using Windows, Mac shouldn't be much different). Lets get started....

Step 1; Go to your Control Panel and open up "Folder Options" and click on the View tab. Now, scroll down and make sure whats seen in the picture below is unchecked and then click "OK".

Step 2; Open iTunes and then Choose a song that you want to make into a ringtone. Next, RIGHT CLICK on the song and click "Get Info". Now click on the options tab.

Step 3; Click on the time stamp boxes and check off the box that says "remember playback position". Next, put in the time of the song that you want the ringtone to start and end (it can be as long or short as you want the ringtone to be). Click "OK" and preview your new ringtone to make sure its to your liking, once it is go to the next step/photo (if you want to change the times, repeat the step and change the times).

Step 4; Next, click on the the "Advanced" tab at the top of itunes and click on "Create ACC Version". Once you have created the ACC version, go to the track you created the ACC version from and undo your time settings made in the previous step or else every time you listen to the song, it will only play the section you chose for your ringtone (dont worry, it wont do anything to your ACC version you just created)

Step 5; Next, drag your newly created ACC version of your future ringtone to your desktop or where ever you can find it easily. Once you have dragged the ACC version to your desktop, right click on the ACC version and click "rename". Once you have clicked rename, change the "a" to an "r" and click ok on the box that pops up (note the file now says Ringtone).

Step 6; Open your SSH program and SSH into your iphone....Once you have SSHed into your iphone Navigate to; Private/Var/Stash/Ringtones

Step 7; Once you have navigated to Private/Var/stash/Ringtones , drag your new ringtone into this folder and your all done... Repeat these steps whenever you want to make a new ringtone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -step1.png   -step2.png   -step3.png   -step4.png   -step5.png   -step6.png   -step7.png  
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilbourn For This Useful Post:

inkdchaos3 (2010-06-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Nice guide. A side hint: change the song start and stop times back to normal after the process is done.

I have forgot many times and when the song would come up in the list it would only play he brief 30 seconds or so I had selected.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Nice guide. A side hint: change the song start and stop times back to normal after the process is done.

I have forgot many times and when the song would come up in the list it would only play he brief 30 seconds or so I had selected.
    Yea I made sure I put that little nugget of information in the tutorial (step 4). I cant tell you how many times i forgot to change it back after making my ringtone only to listen to the song a few days later and go "what the Bleep? Why did it just do that?" only to remember I never changed it back lol.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilbourn For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (2010-06-10), inkdchaos3 (2010-06-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Yup, nice tutorial. Meh, I use iRinger for Windows (converts and export directly to iTunes too) and GarageBand for Mac, so much easier in my opinion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

inkdchaos3 (2010-06-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbourn View Post
    Yea I made sure I put that little nugget of information in the tutorial (step 4). I cant tell you how many times i forgot to change it back after making my ringtone only to listen to the song a few days later and go "what the Bleep? Why did it just do that?" only to remember I never changed it back lol.
    Sorry, guess I missed that part. Not sure why I missed it.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

My iPhone is not jailbroken. I was able to use ringtones I had made with Sony Sound Forge, by letting iTunes pull the mp3 version over and then doing most of the same steps as listed above, I had to change the file extension of the third version from a .m4a to .m4r, etc. and import it back to iTunes. Although, last weekend, I wanted to bring some more ringtones I had made with Sound Forge into iTunes and I couldn't get iTunes to bring up the "Create AAC Version" when I right-clicked on the ringer I had created. I went to my C drive, where the iTunes music is stored and created the .m4r version, brought it over to iTunes, sync'd my iPhone, it shows up as a ringer in My iPhone, but it sure doesn't show up on my iPhone in the "Sounds." I'm thinking about buying the iRinger program mentioned above and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Yup, nice tutorial. Meh, I use iRinger for Windows (converts and export directly to iTunes too) and GarageBand for Mac, so much easier in my opinion.
    iRinger actually works like it claims? I made a bunch of ring tones that I love with another program before I bought my iPhone.

Pro's or con's? Thanks.
    Last edited by inkdchaos3; 2010-06-13 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Or... You can use a website for free called audiko.net.