Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ringtones not working anymore?

Unhappy ringtones not working anymore?
    hi
    i have itunes 9.1, iphone 3G 3.1.3, and i can't seem to make ringtones work / make them show up on the phone.
    i do the procedure like i always did, but now nothing i do seems to work. does anyone know if the problem is with the iphone or itunes?
    has anyone else experienced this?
    thank you!

I'd check to make sure you didn't uncheck the sync option on ringtones by mistake.

Otherwise, I don't know.

thanks. it's checked tho, and the file is .m4r

Are they synching over and not playing? Or not even synching over?

it synsc and everything but it doesn't show up on my phone settings/ringtones. i remember when i used to have custom ringtones they were on the top of that page, above the iphone ringtones

Hmmm. I'm at a loss. When you double click them from in the folder where you rename them to .m4r, do they play? And can you see them in the iTunes ringtone library?

Definately odd.

yes all of that lol. it shows up and plays in itunes.
    and the odd thing is, that when i plug in the phone, go to itunes / phone / ringtones, i can't select certain ringtones, only "All ringones"
    it drives me crazy

The only other idea I have is:

1. Make sure the "convert high bitrate songs to 128 kbps AAC" box isn't checked (when you create the ringtone). This is an issue on newer versions of iTunes.

You may just be able to uncheck the box and resynch, you may have to delete and remake the ringtones.

(when you said they aren't selectable, that made me think of this)

thank you!! i'll try that