Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH'd ringtones, not showing in iPhone interface

Default SSH'd ringtones, not showing in iPhone interface
    Hello, all.

I have last years non-3G iPhone, it is jailbroken with quickpwn and has ssh enabled. I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop, and have attempted to transfer a ringtone I made. It is a .mp3 file.

I successfully transferred the file using ssh to

/var/stash/Ringtones.gVpQjF

The files shows up in my terminal, but has a * appended to the end, not sure what that means.

Also, seems the file is not usable by the iPhone.

Is this the proper directory i should have transferred to? Why can I not use the files I transfer?

Thanks for your help,
    -myk

My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

A ringtone file needs to be a .m4r not a .mp3 (there are a LOT of "how to's" to do this)
    Is there any reason you are not using iTunes for adding ringtones?
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 2009-03-08 at 01:17 AM.

i am on a Linux machine. I can run Windows in a virtual machine and install iTunes, i guess. I just really don't care for iTunes. I can convert a handfull of files and transfer them, or I can use the virtual machine as i stated above to do it.

I assume with iTunes, i can just drag and drop?

Also, for SSH, did i at least get the appropriate directory?

One more thing, i have never owned an iPod before. Do they just not use .mp3 at all? Strange....

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

in addition to my last post, is the same true for adding music to the iPhone, does it need to be something other than .mp3?

I will dig around the forum a bit more regarding this, but feel free to post any help you can for an iPod virgin. Got a preference for the Sandisk players myself.
    Last edited by myk.robinson; 2009-03-08 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yes the rintone folder is correct (unless you have a backup then you may have 2 folders) if you do have two and the ringtone (.m4r) doesn't show up after you add it then try the other one

With iTunes it's just select and sync or you can do a "random" sync too

Yes it does and will read mp3's
    The synced music goes in: ./private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/(there is also a ringtone folder in there too)
    it normally will rename just the .mp3 file (the song name stays the same) it does this to avoid issues with long file names and or special characters plus other reasons, it does the same thing with ringtones too.
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 2009-03-10 at 11:27 PM.

a little puzzled, I dropped a few folders into the Music directory and they dont show up when I go to the iPod option. Perhaps I should just use the blasted iTunes software in the virtual machine, but why is this not working? I also tried dropping a single .mp3 file into the music directory, and that didnt work either..

What am i missing?

Thanks

It might be quicker and easier for you just to get a media player app from Cydia for your music... Like dTunes,MPlayer,PwnPlayer, etc.etc.

Are the ringtones working ?

Sorry I just reread what you were saying, I had drag and dropping ringtones stuck in my head. You can not just add music files to your phone and make them work with the iTunes player on your phone... (see my bottom post)
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 2009-03-10 at 11:28 PM.

havne't tried to do a ringer, but i transferred one .mp3 to test, and Pwplayer worked fine. Thank you.

Just out of curiousity, have you been able to figure out how to make it work in the "iPod" module? In your opinion, what is the better player available through Cydia?

Thanks,
    -myk

myk.robinson, itunes isn't all that bad once you set it up with your songs/vids.

Advantage of itunes besides being able to use the ipod player is that you can set the home button to double tap which will bring up the ipod controls popup while you are in another app if you already have a song playing.

You can also get iPodPop from Cydia which is will enable you to always bring up the ipod popup screen while you are in another app even if ipod app is closed.

As for ringtones, you can drop them via SSH as you did but they need to be in .mp4 format.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myk.robinson View Post
    havne't tried to do a ringer, but i transferred one .mp3 to test, and Pwplayer worked fine. Thank you.

Just out of curiousity, have you been able to figure out how to make it work in the "iPod" module? In your opinion, what is the better player available through Cydia?

Thanks,
    -myk

Nope, because when it sync's it creates a unique file name for each song and links them to a few database and other file’s in your phone... In sort when you sync songs from iTunes it does a LOT more than just copy them to the phone...

Sorry couldn't tell you what player is better, I don't use them, I just knew they wre around

Oops for the confusion, I had the issue of dragging and dropping ringtones stuck in my head on the earlier post. This you can do (again in a .m4r format) You can NOT just drag and drop songs into the iTunes player. They must be synced (for the above reasons)
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 2009-03-10 at 11:26 PM.