Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I can not for the life of me make ringtones using iTunes!

Default I can not for the life of me make ringtones using iTunes!
    Ok, so i have followed all the instructions, i have watched like 8546578473825676738567256829 how to videos and the iTunes method of making ringtones just WILL NOT work for me!!!

I select my song, convert to AAC, trim it to the desired time, (i always keep it under 30 seconds), then i copy to desktop, change extension from .m4a to .m4r, then drag it into Ringtones and it shows up, but its the entire song, it doesnt start and end where i told it to, it just plays the entire thing from begining to end and it obviously doesnt sync to my iPhone.

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!?!?! or does iTunes just hate me?
    =/

Im using iTunes 7.7.1 on Windows XP, and a 1st Gen iPhone on jailbroken/unlocked 2.0.2.

Thanks

here try this
    you get to make the first 3 for free
    Efiko Software: iPhoneRingToneMaker

Or use iRinger (google it, completely free), will let you cut what you want from any mp3 and automatically puts it into Itunes under "ringtones".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

we had voices (2008-09-21)

you could also use GarageBand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by we had voices View Post
    I select my song, convert to AAC, trim it to the desired time, (i always keep it under 30 seconds), then i copy to desktop, change extension from .m4a to .m4r, then drag it into Ringtones and it shows up, but its the entire song
    Change the tags for the converted aac file within itunes, i.e, change the song name. Copy it over to desktop. (delete it from your itunes library), then try.

When i make these i listen to the song and take note of the 30 odd second block of the song that i want.
    Then i right click on it and select 'get info' then go to the 'options' tab and enter the start/finish time and select 'small speakers' on the 'equalizer preset' tab.
    Now i convert it to AAC. After it's converted i go to the original and remove the start/finish time and change the equaliser preset back to none.
    Now right click on the ringtone version and select 'show in windows explorer.'
    I move it to a folder i've got called iPhone Ringtones and change the extension to .m4r and delete the listing from the itune library.
    Now i click on the 'ringtones' tab and select 'add file to library' and select the new ringtone file.

Once you've got the process sorted you can do it all quite quickly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we had voices View Post
    WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!?!?! or does iTunes just hate me?
    =/
    Not following the instructions, that's what you're doing wrong....

I select my song, convert to AAC, trim it to the desired time,
    Nobody, in any of the 23456789 videos you've watched told you to do it in that order, NOBODY.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Or use iRinger (google it, completely free), will let you cut what you want from any mp3 and automatically puts it into Itunes under "ringtones".
    thanks man! iRinger worked like a charm!

Just go to Audiko Search for a ringtone, and click on the "Download for iPhone" link. I've yet to search for a ringtone that isn't on there. You can also upload your .mp3 file, cut it and make a ringtone on the site. All for free.

what your forgot is convert to aac then trim and then convert to aac again this will make the new aac version just the time that you selected in the last version then it should work

Thanks

umm. No. Why would you convert to aac twice? You set the play/stop times in the original file, create aac version, and it'll be the 30 second clip you want.
    Last edited by 461am; 2008-09-26 at 07:49 AM.

when you convert it again it will be the time you wanted only nothing longer its what i did and work fine for me try it

er yeah same **** just a step less srry
    Last edited by millionman; 2008-09-26 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost