Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How to] Custom SMS tones in 2.0.x

Cool [How to] Custom SMS tones in 2.0.x
    i haven't found a tutorial on how to do this on 2.0.x so after tinkering a little i found out how (no thanks to customize) heres what you gotta do:

1. make sure you have your sound in .aif (.aiff) format or .caf if you have .caf proceed to step 2 if you have .aiff proceed to step 1b. IF you have a different format go to step 1a.
    1a. Open iTunes and go to preferences, advanced, importing, and select "Import using AIFF" import the song, right click it and click convert, boom you have a .aiff format sound clip.
    1b. Change the format (.aiff) to .caf no conversion needed.

2. Turn on your iPhone, make sure SSH is enabled and SSH into your phone and go to your root directory.

3. Navigate to System/Library/Audio/UISounds

4. select your custom tone and rename it "ReceivedMessage.caf" and place it there (i suggest you back up the old one.

5. select the same custom tone you used, and rename it again, this time as "sms-received#.caf"

*** IMPORTANT NOTE *** THE # REPRESENTS A NUMBER FOR THE SMS TONE, THEY AREN'T LABELED BY NAME, THEY ARE LABELED BY NUMBER, IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHICH ONE YOU WANT TO REPLACE, GO TO YOUR SETTINGS AND TEST THEM OUT AND PICK, THE FIRST ONE WOULD BE NAMED "sms-received1.caf" THE SECOND ONE WOULD BE NAMED "sms-received2.caf" ETC.

After you do that, re-spring or reboot (whatever you want) and then go to settings and set your SMS tone to the custom tone you made, ENJOY!

I found this out myself, this was tested on an iPhone 3G, i am not responsible for any mistakes (which might cause damage) you do to your iPhone. if you follow all the above instructions you will NOT damage your iPhone.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prism2unit For This Useful Post:

ltjbigshot (2008-11-19), mod_monkey (2008-12-08), mrsidewayzz (2008-09-13), princessdolphin (2008-09-23), ProjectGSX (2008-08-29)

thank you!

No problem man, ive seen lots of people asking for this so i felt it was my duty to help out =] lol my user title it a little embarrassing tho... *sigh* ive been jailbreaking and modifying stuff since the touch came out... ah well guess i gotta work my way up the ladder... expect more from me tho im devving for the iPhone 3G. i like releasing little mods like this one hehe if anyones interested i can write up a guide on how to get a custom tapper on the iPhone 3G without customize.

does the old way in the 2g iphone work with the 3g iphone to get in the system to change things like the sound files....i had a 2g and now i got a 3g and now i miss my sms tones and other tones i had set up on my iphone...

Quote Originally Posted by thaforgottenone View Post
    does the old way in the 2g iphone work with the 3g iphone to get in the system to change things like the sound files....i had a 2g and now i got a 3g and now i miss my sms tones and other tones i had set up on my iphone...
    Sorry but i never owned an iPhone 2G so i wouldnt know =(

but my way works fine so try it out so you can get your old SMS tones back =)

how do I do this on windows?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

so I put the .caf in the correct spot but they don't work. Do they have to be a certain length? Or should I say a limit on the length. FYI I have done all the correct steps. What I did was convert my ringtones to aiff then changed the name to caf then put them in the correct folder.

this is for windows bballcat,

Yes for SMS sounds I think there's a time limit, try shortening it because the same thing happened to me.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I read that it shouldn't be longer than 12 seconds.

That sounds about right, 12 secs max.

My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not trying to push any app...

If anyone is unsure about SSHing and or with converting sound files.. There is an app called ToneFX's that you can put on your phone to change a lot of the tones and they also have a progie for your computer that will chop a sound file to 12sec. convert it to a .caf AND upload it to the app in your phone...

Just a thought.......

I agree, TONEFx is the way to go for myself, works well.

i have a jailbroken iphone 3g 2.0 firmware, i have openSSH and when i view my root folder, i know its in the system folder but alls that is in my root folder is Library and Media and i cant find where to put the SMS tone. I have it all converted and everything i just cant find where to put it.

hey, i cant find UIsounds under audio. I am using firmware 2.0.2. I am trying to find the location to drop the new sound file in....
    Thanks

From what i've noticed when i made my own signal is that .wav works very well. so if u have a small tune in wav just change the .wav to .caf no conversion needed and after that follow the guide from step 2

thats very weird... =S...

i don't have a clue where else you can find that specific folder... this was done in firmware version 2.0.1 so maybe they changed the files around in 2.0.2

Awesome man! im tired of my stock "tri-tone" sound. and theres no way im changing to any of the other default ones..

Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

this is great
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN

anyone know how to do this using Itunes 8? There is no "importing" under advanced for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast