Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How to] Custom SMS tones in 2.0.x

Quote Originally Posted by bballcat03 View Post
    anyone know how to do this using Itunes 8? There is no "importing" under advanced for me.
    To make things set to .aif
    Go to Edit > Preferences > and then Importing. Then change it to AIFF.

To import the file, go to File > Add to Library and then find the sound file you want.

THEN when that's imported, go to the file in your music tab and right click and choose "Convert to AIFF"

Hi,
    Is there a guide that will show you how to modify the custom sms sound settings to normal output levels? I've SSH'd several custom sms sounds to my iPhone and when I play them, the sound is loud and distorted. I am currently using Audacity and I noticed one of the stock sms sounds is in mono and my custom ones are in stereo. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but the db levels are also very different.

Appreciate any help!!! Thanks!!!

There are three mail tones inside the iphone Settings/Sound.

1. New Text Message ( I have change to message received tones from the UI but when someone message me the tone is original tone and not message received tone ????.)
    2. New Mail ON/OFF( may I know which one to change in the UI,so many tones ) Before I can customize mail receive tone
    3. Sent Mail ON/OFF ( may I know which one to change in the UI,so many tones ) Before I can customize mail sent tone

Before I upgrade to 2.0.2,I using 2g 1.1.3 and I can customize the tone but now I could not find the customize from the installer 4.0 or Cydia.
    Anyone know where to find the Customize from the installer 4.0 or Cydia.

Thanks

The problem with modded SMS message alerts is, they stop working after awhile. I did one to replace the Horn sound, and it works for about 7 messages, then silence. Switch to a built in SMS alert and it starts working again. Never figured out why this happens.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

what is ssh
    please

Quote Originally Posted by enricopascale View Post
    what is ssh
    please
    if u are asking this PLEASE READ UP ON SSH

check here http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...3F&btnG=Search

dont just wing it or you WILL mess up your phone then you'll be back on here wondering y..
    not tryin to be mean just be careful
    Last edited by zues79; 2008-09-23 at 12:04 AM.

Default not 12 secs
    I'm not a registered user here but I'll help out anyways. I've been looking for a way around the time limit set for the sms tones but so far I've found none, but I've noticed someone said 12 secs is the limit, which is incorrect. I've tinkered with the length with a few songs and so far 30 secs seems to be the limit. Below is the procedure I used to change the sms alert tone on my phone. Actually all the system sounds for your phone can be changed through this procedure. Anyways I hope this info helps any of you guys. Also don't forget to backup the defaults sounds if you intend to use them again. The program is free so feel free to try this out.

"I use the Iphone PCsuite to get my songs into my phone. Just be sure to install the english language pack so you could understand the labels on this program coz it's mainly chinese. Now to the ringtone management tab. I manage and edit my songs of choice through melody production, which is inside the ringtone management tab. Here you can edit the song to you're desired length (tinker with it a bit coz maybe the time limit is a bit more than 30 secs) then save the file. Converting the edited song is done through Itunes. Make sure that the conversion is set to aiff through preference. Ok so import the song to the list. Right click it and choose convert to AIFF. Go to the folder where the converted song was placed (usually its Itunes music folder unless you managed to change that) and change its extension to caf. Then go back to IphonePC suite; go to Ringtone management then click at sound system. Go to sms and select one of the alerts which you want to change. There are 6 default alerts with numers 1 to 6. select one of these and click the replacement button. Select your edited song (caf) then you're done."

oops my bad. I thought this was some other thing. Anyways I'm registered here. :-) sorry for that booboo.

oh and by the way this can be done either through ssh or usb. cheers!!!
    Last edited by darkkind24; 2008-10-14 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

can you please tell me what SSH is, and how do you find it?
    and is there any other way to customize your sms tones?
    thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diazz3 View Post
    can you please tell me what SSH is, and how do you find it?
    and is there any other way to customize your sms tones?
    thanks
    SSH is a secure way of wirelessly accessing, or "logging in" to your iPhone. It allows you make modifications to the iPhone's internal filesystem. You can install it through Cydia.

There is a downside to this method. You have to modify the actual files in your root folder. There is an easier way of doing this, kind of.

You do have to do the conversion to Aiff format then rename your file to .caf, so continue with that method from the original post.

After you have created the .caf file, SSH into your iPhone and go to this directory from the root of the iPhone

/private/var/stash/Themes.****** (not sure if the six characters after the period are the same on every phone).

Inside the Themes folder, create a new folder and name it whatever you want. I called mine SMS Sounds.

Put your new SMS alert sound in there. They do need to be named sms-received1.caf sms-received2.caf sms-received3.caf, etc. After that, just choose the tone you wish to choose. TriTone being sms-received1 Chime being sms-received2, etc. That way, you can turn on that theme in Winterboard and not have to worry about backing up files, and if you ever want the original iPhone tones back for SMS, you can just turn off the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by bballcat03 View Post
    anyone know how to do this using Itunes 8? There is no "importing" under advanced for me.
    i had the same problem but what you do is go to preferences, and in the general tab there is a drop down menu of options for when you insert a CD, next to it is a button that says import settings. click that and select AIFF encoder, then convert your song and follow the rest of the steps. hope that helped

12. The Following User Says Thank You to diazz3 For This Useful Post:

lach (2009-01-20)

Default SMS replacement strangeness
    Hi,
    I am on FW 2.2 with JB.
    II have created a new SMS as mentioned in this stream previously. And replaced sms-received5.caf. When I receive an SMS the FIRST SMS sound is played, independant of WHAT I select.
    Now I have also replaced sms-received1.caf. BUT still the old tritone is played also it was replaced.
    Yes I have rebooted, etc. several times!

Any idea what is happening here??
    I do need a LOUD SMS sound for paging reasons!

Thanks for any light and help!!
    Cheers
    Thomas

iphone 2.2 tmob

worked for me. thanks

im on iPhone 3g 2.2 FW Jailbroke and i use the sounds from Talking Alerts in Cydia (do a search)

they were kinda low so i used Audacity 1.3 to turn up the gain to 12 and love them

Here is the location of the files to mod: /private/var/stash/Themes.TY1gBX/TAlerts.theme/UISounds

GL

how do you get your old sms tones back after you installed your custom ones.???

^^^^if you followed the instructions you would have backed them up and then you would just replace the custom ones with the real ones im pretty sure you didnt do this. once i get home ill post the original backups (at least for my iphone 2g)
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

but when you back it up, and press restore to put all of that backed up info back to your phone,does that mean you have to jailbreak again and install all of your themes again???????

im going to give you the actual sound files. no backup or restore needed. its just as easy as replacing the originals with the customs...you just put the originals right back in. just ssh into the same location and you will just delete the sms tones and i will give you the originals to put in there

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

reggiebush4mvp (2008-12-11)

ok thanks..are you going to pm them? thanks very much

no ill be posting them here as they are relevant to the post so that everyone can have them. save this page to your browsers favorites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast