Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Custom Ringtones in 1.1.3!!!!

Default Custom Ringtones in 1.1.3!!!!
    I finally beat all you guys to something!

Here is a nice quick guide to custom ringtones on 1.1.3

Open up good old iPhoneBrowser.

go to Library/Ringtones/

Drag and drop your favorite .m4r file

THAT IS IT! They will now show up in the ringtone selection. I got this working and was so excited to finally contribute a guide, not just use them all.

Enjoy and please give positive rep or thanks or w/e it is we use haha!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkrom For This Useful Post:

iChopPryde (2008-02-08), ߥ (2008-01-25)

well, still dont play for me. not even the default ones. not good.

Or you can just add them directly through itunes like you've been able to since 1.1.2.

Hell, with the latest itunes and manual management, you can just drop the .mr4 files on the phone that and it'll put them on.

You don't even need to jailbreak anymore for custom ringtones, what's the point of this?

Default sorry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Or you can just add them directly through itunes like you've been able to since 1.1.2.

Hell, with the latest itunes and manual management, you can just drop the .mr4 files on the phone that and it'll put them on.

You don't even need to jailbreak anymore for custom ringtones, what's the point of this?

I didn't know that there was an easier way. I guess I was just trying to help by reporting my findings on the VERY recent 1.1.3 jailbreak. Next time I'll be sure to hoard any info to myself. I hope the other people who are willing to try things and write guides for people like you are not as easily discouraged by rude people as I am.

It is one thing to inform people of something, but it something totally different when you are rude about it. When I was jailbreaking 1.1.3 I had no idea if ringtones would still work. No one mentioned a word about them and firmware updates have prevented them from working in the past. For me ringtones was a big concern since I don't want to pay an arm and leg for a short little clip of my own music.
    Last edited by darkrom; 2008-01-25 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I did exactly that and it goes into the ringtone selection but it wont drop into my iphone. what to do?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

darkrom...please feel free to post additional information. I for one am very interested in how you managed to get ringtones back. Don't let those that may be rude discourage you. Thats the good thing about forums they're here to share infomation .

Default Ringtones on 1.1.3
    Following is working for me:

I am using OSX and unlocked (not just jailbreakon) iPhone with 1.1.3 firmware, iTunes 7.6

1. Choose any song you want to make a ringtone in your iTunes
    2. Right click > Get Info, and then click options tab
    3. Set the desired start time and end time (it accepts decimals in seconds as well.. so 0:03.45 is 3.45 seconds)
    4. Right Click > Convert to AAC
    5. Find the converted file in the computer through explorer/finder . If you don't know the new file name/location, do Right click > Get Info on the new file in iTunes and at the bottom of summary tab you'll have the location
    6. Change file extension from 'm4a' to 'm4r'
    7. Go back to iTunes and remove the new file from library. When prompted if you would like move the file to trash or not, click "Keep File"
    8. Now double click the m4r file , it should be added to your ringtones folder and sync into iPhone

I did this after installing iToner once and syncing one ringtone through that. But later removed that ringtone and uninstalled iToner, but process still works. So in case above doesn't work you can also try doing a round with iToner and then trying above procedure again.

Do let me know if this works for you..

:-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alokjain For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (2008-02-16)

Question help on windows
    so i converted the file to acc on itunes, but now how do i change the extension to m4r? cuz when i find the file its still in mp3 and doesnt allow me to change anything. Sorry i suck at this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

there are programs out there that do this very easy...i found one looking through these forums...it lets you take ANY mp3 file and select a 30 second or less section of it to make into a ringtone...you click the export button and it sends it directly to itunes..then you just check off sync ringtones and when you sync your new rings are there. i forgot the name but i will update when i get home from work...or just search google there are tons of free iphone ringtone makers.
    Last edited by dontevenfucwitme; 2008-02-11 at 06:07 PM. Reason: oops
    Formerly of modmymoto.com ..now upgraded to 2.1 & jailbroken using quickpwn

RETIRED- Motorola L7 -R4517, RSA removed, EDGE internet browsing, full iPhone skin with 14 icon menu, widget style home icons, Bullfrog iTunes, 1GB storage

Quote Originally Posted by bp3231 View Post
    so i converted the file to acc on itunes, but now how do i change the extension to m4r? cuz when i find the file its still in mp3 and doesnt allow me to change anything. Sorry i suck at this, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    (Windows) After you convert right click the new song in itunes then press show in windows explorer. Then you should see the original and the new file. If there is no extensions on the files press the alt key on the right side of your keyboard, tools, folder options, view tab, uncheck hide extensions for known file types. After that just rename the file extension.
    Last edited by JRML970; 2008-02-12 at 03:53 AM.
    iPhone 4 32GB JB & Unlocked w/ T-Mobile

thnks for that

iPhone? More like MyPhone brotherbond007's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys all I did was use the Garageband, drag the song onto a new project, edit it to the amount of time you want anywhere in the song then save it into iTunes (ringtone file) and sync. That's it. For Mac users. Any song in your iTunes or your Mac.
    Black iPhone 4 iOS4 AT&T

The iPhone 4 "my precious" - Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
    I finally beat all you guys to something!

Here is a nice quick guide to custom ringtones on 1.1.3

Open up good old iPhoneBrowser.

go to Library/Ringtones/

Drag and drop your favorite .m4r file

THAT IS IT! They will now show up in the ringtone selection. I got this working and was so excited to finally contribute a guide, not just use them all.

Enjoy and please give positive rep or thanks or w/e it is we use haha!
    OMG Jesus lord, thank you

Thumbs up Wow..
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherbond007 View Post
    Guys all I did was use the Garageband, drag the song onto a new project, edit it to the amount of time you want anywhere in the song then save it into iTunes (ringtone file) and sync. That's it. For Mac users. Any song in your iTunes or your Mac.
    This is the first time I've read this message but will have to give it a shot. I think I fired up Garageband maybe once after getting my iMac, but now I'll more of an excuse to do so. Thanks!!
    8gb iPhone - Gray zCover case

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    If you have problems getting the ring tone onto your iphone, try plugging in your iphone, then going to the ring tones section of your itunes "libary" and drag the ring tone onto the iphone icon on the left side of your itunes window. It should sync and then appear at the top of the list of your ring tones on your iphone under the heading "custom" - yay!

Thanks

Ok, converted the files and have them synced onto the iPhone but they're not appearing in the ringtones list under sounds. What'd I miss?

I don't see Library/Ringtones/ when I open iphonebrowser!!!