Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Custom SMS Sounds?

  1. #1
    Default Custom SMS Sounds?
    Are they possible?

  2. #2
    Second that.

    Only just upgraded to 1.1.2 and used ibrickr on 1.0.2 to do them simply.

    Any easy way? Still trying to find something for sms (not ring) via searching..

  3. #3
    yes its possible well you cant add new ones but you can replace the original six with new ones but the original ones are the lamest tones Ive heard in a while Electronic haha what was apple thinking

    Ive only tested on 1.1.2 but 1.1.1 should be the same thing

    convert the tone you want to use to .aiff
    find the new .aiff file and change it to .caf

    using iphonebrowser/ibrickr/winscp
    go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds

    and replace the tone you want with the one you made renaming it accordingly

    sms-received1.caf = Tri-tone
    sms-received2.caf = Chime
    sms-received3.caf = Glass
    sms-received4.caf = Horn
    sms-received5.caf = Bell
    sms-received6.caf = Electronic

    make a back up if you may want it in the future and it will still have the same name in settings but it will be your new tone dont make it to long as your phone may lag when reciveing it. (not a whole song)

    you can use THIS if you dont have a convertor already
    Last edited by robbpell; 2008-01-16 at 08:32 AM.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robbpell For This Useful Post:

    heliotrope (2008-03-11), slade (2008-03-14), superaveragejoe (2008-03-13)

  5. #4
    How do I convert to .aiff?

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    yes its possible well you cant add new ones but you can replace the original six with new ones but the original ones are the lamest tones Ive heard in a while Electronic haha what was apple thinking

    Ive only tested on 1.1.2 but 1.1.1 should be the same thing

    convert the tone you want to use to .aiff
    find the new .aiff file and change it to .caf

    using iphonebrowser/ibrickr/winscp
    go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds

    and replace the tone you want with the one you made renaming it accordingly

    sms-received1.caf = Tri-tone
    sms-received2.caf = Chime
    sms-received3.caf = Glass
    sms-received4.caf = Horn
    sms-received5.caf = Bell
    sms-received6.caf = Electronic

    make a back up if you may want it in the future and it will still have the same name in settings but it will be your new tone dont make it to long as your phone may lag when reciveing it. (not a whole song)

    you can use THIS if you dont have a convertor already
    This works in 1.1.3 as well

  7. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    It works in 1.1.4 too! By the way Robbpell, im spreading your love with my posts about the message sounds. helping lots 'o people! thanks man.

  8. #7
    Use an audio conversion software to convert files to aiff format. I use "Audible", which you should be able to download from somewhere on the internet.
    Last edited by iceman_007; 2008-03-11 at 11:15 PM. Reason: needed to add something

  9. #8
    Thank you , works on 1.1.4 jailbroken with ZiPhone 2.5c

  10. #9
    can someon3 1 make a software of this that does it automaticaly or thru itunes like da ringtonesssss

  11. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    The fun part is doing it your self!

  12. #11
    works like magic

  13. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX...
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I have tried these methods you guys have listed over and over and i get get a damned thing to play through my phone... I touch the sms tone i want it to play and i dont hear a preview sound or anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I took an mp3 converted to aiff then to caf and transferred through Wnscp and still nothing... Thanks in advance for any help

  14. #13
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    The file you tried to add, was the name the song name or did you rename it "sms-received1.caf"? if you dont rename it as the files in there it wont show up. You need to back up your file or files you want to replace then delete them from your iphone. rename the song you want to put in,
    sms-received1.caf. then it will still show tri-tone but it will be your tune. I hope that helps on the issue.

  15. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wyandotte, Michigan
    Posts
    811
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 309 Times in 185 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by johnofdadead View Post
    How do I convert to .aiff?
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman_007 View Post
    Use an audio conversion software to convert files to aiff format. I use "Audible", which you should be able to download from somewhere on the internet.
    BTW Once it is a ".aiff" you can also change it to a ".caf" format -Just change the extension

  16. #15
    Hello, forgive my lack of knowledge but i need a clear basic step by step guide. Converting the sounds = no problem. I've already downloaded and installed ziphone so i believe my handset is now jailbroken. I have got a icon on the main menu where i can use installer. This is as far as I have got. I dont know how to access the phone in order to change the files etc...

    When people have posted above - regarding the iphonebrowser. I dont know how to access this folder etc.

    Pleeeeeaase help me.

    P.S
    I'm using 1.1.4

  17. #16

  18. #17
    ** after you have converted your mp3 file to aiff format, then rename that new aiff to sms-received1.caf (you can substitute the 1 with 2,3,4,5,6, depending on which sms tone you want to replace)

    then are plenty of programs you can use to log into your iphone with your pc, i use WinSCP (google this), you can also use ibrickr etc.

    i will use WinSCP as the example.. after you install it you go into your iphone and get your wifi IP address, just check out the wifi settings in the iphone.

    then open WinSCP and type the IP address in the 'Host Name' box.. then type in root as the username , and alpine as the password then click login.

    it will take a few seconds to login if its your first time doing this.

    then it will log in to the root directory of your iphone.

    navigate to SYSTEM, LIBRARY, AUDIO, UISOUNDS and copy the newly created .caf file and replace the original.

    please note that this is for v1.1.3, the directories might have changed in 1.1.4 but its just a matter of finding the UISOUNDS folder

    it should work after this. goodluck

  19. #18
    You have listed two programs that run on windows. I'm using Mac OS X. What can I use to access the root directory?

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jordansair View Post
    ** after you have converted your mp3 file to aiff format, then rename that new aiff to sms-received1.caf (you can substitute the 1 with 2,3,4,5,6, depending on which sms tone you want to replace)

    then are plenty of programs you can use to log into your iphone with your pc, i use WinSCP (google this), you can also use ibrickr etc.

    i will use WinSCP as the example.. after you install it you go into your iphone and get your wifi IP address, just check out the wifi settings in the iphone.

    then open WinSCP and type the IP address in the 'Host Name' box.. then type in root as the username , and alpine as the password then click login.

    it will take a few seconds to login if its your first time doing this.

    then it will log in to the root directory of your iphone.

    navigate to SYSTEM, LIBRARY, AUDIO, UISOUNDS and copy the newly created .caf file and replace the original.

    please note that this is for v1.1.3, the directories might have changed in 1.1.4 but its just a matter of finding the UISOUNDS folder

    it should work after this. goodluck
    Any suggestions for a Mac user?

  21. #20
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    539
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 63 Times in 58 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bootlegdj View Post
    Any suggestions for a Mac user?
    Fugu or Cyberduck.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to iGuy For This Useful Post:

    Bootlegdj (2008-03-25)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •