Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing File Extension to .m4a in iTunes

Default Changing File Extension to .m4a in iTunes
    Ok so i have a few .m4r ringtones in the Ringtones folder in iTunes, but when i try to sync it says i cannot play on iPhone, then i found something that says you have to change the file extension back to .m4a, how do i do this in iTunes? I've tried get info and nowhere can i rename the file back to .m4a! Can someone help me here because i feel so close to getting this ringtone **** sorted...

By the way, i'm running a 1.1.1 iPhone and 7.5 iTunes.

nono just update ur iphone to 1.1.2 (even tho its a long process)... on 1.1.2 itll sync without problems

An update is not an option... Sorry.

u sure? well, ur opinion...
    u can use idemocracy (pc) or itoner (mac) to upload ringtones...

I'm crap at this, i can't use iDem properly now... DAMN!

My "connection times out," when i go to patch Mecca then i don't kow what to do...

did u enter ur ip address at the bottome right and press refresh?

My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrewTong View Post
    Ok so i have a few .m4r ringtones in the Ringtones folder in iTunes, but when i try to sync it says i cannot play on iPhone, then i found something that says you have to change the file extension back to .m4a, how do i do this in iTunes? I've tried get info and nowhere can i rename the file back to .m4a! Can someone help me here because i feel so close to getting this ringtone **** sorted...

By the way, i'm running a 1.1.1 iPhone and 7.5 iTunes.
    Just open the folder in windows that has the file you want to change and rename it.. (delete the the "r" and put and "a" in it's place) Window's will say "changing the file bla bla bla bla" click yes and it's done...

It does not show my file extensions... Is there a way so it does or am i doing something wrong again? :S

I'm not sure if this makes a difference either but im using Vista Home Premium.

Sorry to be a pain here!

OK, now i'm getting somewhere i have got Vista to show file extensions! So i went back into iTunes and the ringtones library and renamed the .m4r files back to .m4a, went to sync and it came up cannot synce because iTunes cannot find orignal file or something...

Again another problem I need help with!
    Last edited by DrewTong; 2007-12-30 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You most likely need Quicktime Pro. That's how I made mine.

I took a regular .aiff file from iTunes and dragged it to my desktop. I then opened it in Quicktime Pro, saved as .m4a.

That made it into a ringtone which I just dragged into the ringtones folder via iBricker.

Hope that helps.

Ok it has to be something wrong with my iPhone... I've put ringtones onto my iPhone using iDemocracy, iBrickr, iPhoneBrowser and manually in iTunes. They are showing up on the iPhone but they don't play... Perhaps i'm missing something can someone help me with this? PLEASE!

My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrewTong View Post
    It does not show my file extensions... Is there a way so it does or am i doing something wrong again? :S

I'm not sure if this makes a difference either but im using Vista Home Premium.

Sorry to be a pain here!

OK, now i'm getting somewhere i have got Vista to show file extensions! So i went back into iTunes and the ringtones library and renamed the .m4r files back to .m4a, went to sync and it came up cannot synce because iTunes cannot find orignal file or something...

Again another problem I need help with!
    What happened is; when you changed the extension iTunes lost track of the file ( it is looking for a file called XXXXXX.m4r but now it’s XXXXXX.m4a and in this case no longer in the rintones folder in iTunes. When you convert files in iTunes, iTunes will move the file on you and put it in an appropriate section/folder. As a m4a, it will now be in the main music folder. So just delete that one and open up the main music folder (open it up in windows) and sort by date or just scroll around to you find the “artist” folder it’s in. Open the folder and double click on the song. It sould import it into iTunes and play it... Not to mention let you know how it sounds....