Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: With the latest 2.0, how do we do free ringtones

Default With the latest 2.0, how do we do free ringtones
    Was wondering if anyone knew how to get the free ringtones to work with the latest iTunes and iPhone 2.0

Thanks.

Default The same way as before...
    There's no change in the way ringtones function or sync with the new iTunes or firmware 2.0

All the .m4r ringtones in your library (purchased or spoofed) will sync and work on your 2.0 iphone (well, gen 1 at least, I dont have a 3G)

itoner for mac works fine too

Thanks

iphone ringtone maker still working for 2.0FW also. Confirmed it last night on mine. (Windows XP)

Hrmm I have that and it didn't work. Did you have to do anything special?

If using the just changing the extension to .m4r method the song either needs to be under 30sec. long or under a certain file size, not sure which. Not sure if this was the case before 2.0 or not

my ringtones worked when i upgraded yesterday to 2.0. but when i did a restore today with the 2.0 fw downloaded thru itunes, ringtones no longer show up on phone. but they show up in the ringtone tab in itunes.

EDIT: got it to work. i just unchecked sync ringtones. then synced. then rechecked sync ringtones. synced. n now it shows up.
    Last edited by foureyez; 2008-07-12 at 07:30 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It took me a little while reading several different posts, following slightly different sets of directions, and trying several times to figure it out, but I believe the key is for your ringtones to be under 30 seconds.

It worked for me on the 3g with Vista (XP would be the same) by doing this:

1. Pick your song and play it.
    2. Watch the timer and note the start and end track-time for your desired selection, which must be under 30 seconds (possibly longer - I didn't test).
    3. Right-click it and select Get Info. Then go to the Options tab and enter the times previously noted. And click OK
    4. Right-click it again and select Convert Selection to AAC. If the only option is to convert to something other than AAC, you must change that option under Preferences > Advanced > Importing.
    5. Optionally, you may then delete the newly made track from your library, as it won't be functional in just a moment. But be sure to "keep the file," and make note of the file location from the Summary tab of the Get Info dialog.
    6. Find the file in Explorer and rename the extension from m4a to m4r.
    7. Double-click it to load it into iTunes. Alternatively, you drag it onto iTunes.
    8. Then sync your iPhone and your done.
    9. You'll find it under Settings > Sounds > Ringtone.

I hope you enjoyed my instructions and my first post on MMi!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zer024 For This Useful Post:

drtybrd61 (2008-07-14), dthomp22 (2008-08-10), Pyro_Teknic (2008-07-28)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

this is the reason i came on today, bc the ringtones i have made using the .m4r trick dont show up when trying to sync. i tried checking and unchecking the box, and that didnt work. i guess i need to make sure they are under 30 seconds. ill post back when i get them to work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default 30 seconds
    Yep...they have to be under 30 seconds.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

that is the case. i put 10 ringers on my phone last night using the file extension switch, and all of them are under 30 seconds, and all of them work.

just wanted to check back and let yall know.

hey does this only work with music purchased from itunes or does it also work with mp3's ,ive converted with aac and found my file but its now showing as an mpeg 4 not an m4a no option to change it to an m4r. i must be missing something ?? all of the music in my library is either ripped from cd or an mp3 no purchased music here so maybe this isnt going to work for me ??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try visit Nakko.com you can find ready to sync ringtones...hehehe

Default iRinger
    Guys,

Try iRinger

iRinger :: iPhone Ringtone Factory

It's the best one I have used, I have a PC.
    Iphone 16gb JB 2.0

There's a tutorial here iRinger - Free Ringtone Maker | Apple iPhone School

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportsreyes1978 For This Useful Post:

dthomp22 (2008-08-10), philly0429 (2008-09-14)

made me erase my music, vids etc for some dumb reason?? whatever its a fast simple method thnx zer024

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by godive09 View Post
    thanks for the link man!