Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: problem with sms recieved sound

  1. #1
    Default problem with sms recieved sound
    i have customize and some sound sets. when i go into customize i can change every sound except for sms recieved. when i click it, its just goes to a black screen. All i can use are the factory ones through the settings link. Any suggestions? I tried to uninstall customize and reinstall it and it still does the same thing

    so nobody has anything?
    Last edited by laynlow; 2007-12-11 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. #2
    I'm not sure Customize works with that particular setting. Have you tried manually installing a custom SMS sound ? I'm on 1.1.1 and I'm using custom SMS sounds. Not sure which firmware you are on though

  3. #3
    Just checked and I have the same thing, just goes to black screen. Set them manually like I have, use iphonelist or winscp or something like that..

  4. #4
    Here is the guide posted by MMI member, Ridge (I used iTunes to convert the files though and WinSCP to put it in my phone):

    Step 1. Choose the file you want and convert it with Switch to .aiff.
    Step 2. Use Fugu to ssh into the iPhone. Go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds.
    Step 3. Find the files sms-received$.caf, where $ stands for 1, 2, 3 til 6 and choose one of them. In my case I am using sms-received6.caf, because I don't like the Electronic ringtone anyway Make a back-up of this file on your computer.
    Step 4. Now you have to rename the file that you created in step 1 to the same name as the file you have chosen in step 3 - in my case sms-received6.caf (Be sure you change the file extension as well and not make it sms-received6.caf.aiff).
    Step 5. Using again Fugu put the newly renamed file into the same dir (/System/Library/Audio/UISounds) and restart the iPhone.
    Step 6. Now in Settings -> Sounds change the New Text Message sound to the one you just put in (in my case I have to pick the Electronic one) and you are good to go.

    And here is which file corresponds to which name:
    sms-received1.caf -> Tri-tone
    sms-received2.caf -> Chime
    sms-received3.caf -> Glass
    sms-received4.caf -> Horn
    sms-received5.caf -> Bell
    sms-received6.caf -> Electronic

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mzkaye729 For This Useful Post:

    alv_1976 (2007-12-11), DARKoo7 (2008-04-14), freitag (2007-12-11), gkcharn (2008-01-21), iPhone4_Nerd (2007-12-17)

  6. #5
    it still does not make any sense cause i can use all my other sound sets through customize and my friend has the same version firmware and everything and he can access the wistle from the kill bill sound set

    i wonder if i installed something that corrupted it?
    Last edited by laynlow; 2007-12-12 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mzkaye729 View Post
    Here is the guide posted by MMI member, Ridge (I used iTunes to convert the files though and WinSCP to put it in my phone):

    Step 1. Choose the file you want and convert it with Switch to .aiff.
    Step 2. Use Fugu to ssh into the iPhone. Go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds.
    Step 3. Find the files sms-received$.caf, where $ stands for 1, 2, 3 til 6 and choose one of them. In my case I am using sms-received6.caf, because I don't like the Electronic ringtone anyway Make a back-up of this file on your computer.
    Step 4. Now you have to rename the file that you created in step 1 to the same name as the file you have chosen in step 3 - in my case sms-received6.caf (Be sure you change the file extension as well and not make it sms-received6.caf.aiff).
    Step 5. Using again Fugu put the newly renamed file into the same dir (/System/Library/Audio/UISounds) and restart the iPhone.
    Step 6. Now in Settings -> Sounds change the New Text Message sound to the one you just put in (in my case I have to pick the Electronic one) and you are good to go.

    And here is which file corresponds to which name:
    sms-received1.caf -> Tri-tone
    sms-received2.caf -> Chime
    sms-received3.caf -> Glass
    sms-received4.caf -> Horn
    sms-received5.caf -> Bell
    sms-received6.caf -> Electronic
    Is there anyway to rename the corresponding names so that if i want a sound called "sound" instead of saying "electronic" it will say "sound"?

  8. #7
    i have same problem cant change sms sound with customize i get black screen i am using 1.1.1 also kill bill give only whistle sound in list
    please help
    thanks

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1700 View Post
    Is there anyway to rename the corresponding names so that if i want a sound called "sound" instead of saying "electronic" it will say "sound"?
    No.

    You have to rename to
    your files to the original iPhone file names. There are 6 options, its not like it will take you all day to figure out what sound you put where.
    Search NAZI

  10. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by netuser View Post
    i have same problem cant change sms sound with customize i get black screen i am using 1.1.1 also kill bill give only whistle sound in list
    please help
    thanks
    Because the SMS notice is handled by the Settings program. Go into Settings -> Sounds.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Because the SMS notice is handled by the Settings program. Go into Settings -> Sounds.
    yeah but if you download customize you can get sound sets and kill bill wistle shows up on my buddies and he has 1.1.2 so something i downloaded it corrupted it and i did something cause now i don't get a black screen anymore i get my backdrop with no widgets.

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Oxygen View Post
    No.

    You have to rename to
    your files to the original iPhone file names. There are 6 options, its not like it will take you all day to figure out what sound you put where.
    Actually you are wrong. You go into Applications/Preferences/English and drag the Sounds.strings file onto your computer. Use an editing software to convert the file so it can be viewed. Within the file you will see the names of the SMS sounds given. Just edit the names of the stock sounds, and then reuploud the file back into the correct directory. I can't take a pic to prove the theory because I am posting from my phone. Haha

    Reako

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Because the SMS notice is handled by the Settings program. Go into Settings -> Sounds.
    we are talking about customize here where u can install and chose alot more sounds.

    Please anyone help why there is black screen ? Is it same for everyone?

  14. #13
    Customize doesn't change the SMS sound on FW 1.1.1 and newer...

    Reako

  15. #14
    What's Jailbreak? zman69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Madison, Wi
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    Use an editing software to convert the file so it can be viewed. Within the file you will see the names of the SMS sounds given.
    What kind of software do you use?

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    Actually you are wrong. You go into Applications/Preferences/English and drag the Sounds.strings file onto your computer. :blah: :blah: :blah:

    Reako

    This is true. I was trying to keep it simple.
    Search NAZI

  17. #16
    Same thing happens to me. I am on 1.1.2 & everytime I click SMS received, the screen turns black.

  18. #17
    is there a chance that a updated customizer will let us change the sms tone or will it never work?
    IpodLover77 @ Hofo

  19. #18
    it used to let me and i had it to set to a borat sound. so get this if my phone is any other screen than sms it uses the standard sms recieved tone. but if i have sms opened and i recieve a text it plays the sound i had set in customize which i can no longer change so explain that one.

  20. #19
    When you are on 1.1.2 Customize definitely gives you the possibility to set the SMS Received Sound! That's a fact.

    Sadly I hat to reinstall my whole system yesterday and now I'm also stuck with a blank screen. I'm curious what causes the error and how to overcome it. I'm 90% this error is caused by another application.

    If anyone is willing to solve the mysterie delete all your apps, restart, install customize and a ringtome present, then reinstall the apps piece by piece to see what causes the damage.

    Otherwise if anybody already has found the solution PLEASE POST IT.

    … speaking for my person I would find it helpfull if we o n l y talk about customize and the solution to the problem here. How too change the original iPhone Sounds is explained elsewhere. also people who are writing stuff like "this isn't working with 1.1.1. or later"… please… if you don't know anything about a topic at least say that you suppose or that you are guessing… even it would be better to stay completely silent.

    -

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by pattulus View Post
    When you are on 1.1.2 Customize definitely gives you the possibility to set the SMS Received Sound! That's a fact.

    Sadly I hat to reinstall my whole system yesterday and now I'm also stuck with a blank screen. I'm curious what causes the error and how to overcome it. I'm 90% this error is caused by another application.

    If anyone is willing to solve the mysterie delete all your apps, restart, install customize and a ringtome present, then reinstall the apps piece by piece to see what causes the damage.

    Otherwise if anybody already has found the solution PLEASE POST IT.

    … speaking for my person I would find it helpfull if we o n l y talk about customize and the solution to the problem here. How too change the original iPhone Sounds is explained elsewhere. also people who are writing stuff like "this isn't working with 1.1.1. or later"… please… if you don't know anything about a topic at least say that you suppose or that you are guessing… even it would be better to stay completely silent.

    -

    yeah i totally agree. Something i installed corrupted it. I tried to uninstall a bunch of stuff that my friend did not have nothing to get my sms recieved back though. now i'm having other problems with the installer app. not to add to this tread though. i'm gonna make another one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •