Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Notification Sounds Thread

Cool Notification Sounds Thread
    There are so many threads out discussing the possibilty of changing the notification sounds on the later FW. 1.1.1 and 1.1.2

I, for one, am totally confused on how to change the SMS sounds, How to change the display text under sound preferences for the SMS sounds, and so forth. I have done a little experimenting and had been fully unsuccessful. I thought just overwriting the caf file would work but for some reason it will not. So I look to you guys again.

I want to devote this thread to modding the sound files on the newer firmwares. Anyone who has successfully done so could you please refer to your thread within this one, or post the HOW TO in this thread! I would appreciate any further insight on this for I can not change the Notification Sounds for the life of me!

Reako
    Last edited by Reako; 2007-11-29 at 03:42 AM.

I'm not quite sure how to change the display text next to the sounds but I am able to replace the tones with my own.

This is what worked for me

This is a guide how to change the SMS ringtones on your 1.1.1 iPhone on a Mac Please note that I tried this with no longer than 5 seconds long files. If somebody tries it with a longer one - please post here with the result.

I'm using Switch to convert mp3 to aiff (here's the link - http://www.nch.com.au/components/switchmac.zip ).

Step 1. Choose the file you want and convert it with Switch to .aiff.
    Step 2. Use Fugu to ssh into the iPhone. Go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds.
    Step 3. Find the files sms-received$.caf, where $ stands for 1, 2, 3 til 6 and choose one of them. In my case I am using sms-received6.caf, because I don't like the Electronic ringtone anyway Make a back-up of this file on your computer.
    Step 4. Now you have to rename the file that you created in step 1 to the same name as the file you have chosen in step 3 - in my case sms-received6.caf (Be sure you change the file extension as well and not make it sms-received6.caf.aiff).
    Step 5. Using again Fugu put the newly renamed file into the same dir (/System/Library/Audio/UISounds) and restart the iPhone.
    Step 6. Now in Settings -> Sounds change the New Text Message sound to the one you just put in (in my case I have to pick the Electronic one) and you are good to go.

And here is which file corresponds to which name:
    sms-received1.caf -> Tri-tone
    sms-received2.caf -> Chime
    sms-received3.caf -> Glass
    sms-received4.caf -> Horn
    sms-received5.caf -> Bell
    sms-received6.caf -> Electronic

If I helped you in anyway, show some love! hit the thanks button!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ridge For This Useful Post:

Blazefire (2008-02-28), Reako (2007-11-29), Sheemoo (2007-12-26), Travace (2007-12-09)

Sweet worked! Thanks. Any insight on changing the display text in settings for each ringtone??

Glad it worked for you mate! I'm not sure about the display changing... anyone else have any ideas?

Nobody knows??? I also have another delay. I downloaded the quacking duck from the Stock downloads here. I chopped it up using Adobe Soundbooth and made it roughly 275 bytes large, (Around the same size as the Glass one I believe), saved it as an Aif file, renamed it to a caf file, and then overwrited an existing SMS file but it will not play for the life of me. I even made it smaller, and smaller, and smaller because I thought size may be an issue, and to no prevail! Any insight on that too? Haha

Reako

Ok so i'm half brain dead. Can someone tell me how to rename the file sms-received6.caf.aiff that appears in the iphone when i uploaded it, to sms-received6.caf Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by redfern; 2007-12-02 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    Nobody knows??? I also have another delay. I downloaded the quacking duck from the Stock downloads here. I chopped it up using Adobe Soundbooth and made it roughly 275 bytes large, (Around the same size as the Glass one I believe), saved it as an Aif file, renamed it to a caf file, and then overwrited an existing SMS file but it will not play for the life of me. I even made it smaller, and smaller, and smaller because I thought size may be an issue, and to no prevail! Any insight on that too? Haha

Reako
    i had the same problem a while back and for me the fix was to make sure my aiff was encoded right. I can't remember the setting of the top of my head but use an old file that worked and check it there, then apply the same setting to the new file.

That should work... i hope!

Quote Originally Posted by redfern View Post
    Ok so i'm half brain dead. Can someone tell me how to rename the file sms-received6.caf.aiff that appears in the iphone when i uploaded it, to sms-received6.caf Thanks for any help.
    just rename it... like u would a folder on your desktop or any other file...
    Last edited by Ridge; 2007-12-02 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
    I'm not quite sure how to change the display text next to the sounds but I am able to replace the tones with my own.

This is what worked for me

This is a guide how to change the SMS ringtones on your 1.1.1 iPhone on a Mac Please note that I tried this with no longer than 5 seconds long files. If somebody tries it with a longer one - please post here with the result.

I'm using Switch to convert mp3 to aiff (here's the link - http://www.nch.com.au/components/switchmac.zip ).

Step 1. Choose the file you want and convert it with Switch to .aiff.
    Step 2. Use Fugu to ssh into the iPhone. Go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds.
    Step 3. Find the files sms-received$.caf, where $ stands for 1, 2, 3 til 6 and choose one of them. In my case I am using sms-received6.caf, because I don't like the Electronic ringtone anyway Make a back-up of this file on your computer.
    Step 4. Now you have to rename the file that you created in step 1 to the same name as the file you have chosen in step 3 - in my case sms-received6.caf (Be sure you change the file extension as well and not make it sms-received6.caf.aiff).
    Step 5. Using again Fugu put the newly renamed file into the same dir (/System/Library/Audio/UISounds) and restart the iPhone.
    Step 6. Now in Settings -> Sounds change the New Text Message sound to the one you just put in (in my case I have to pick the Electronic one) and you are good to go.

And here is which file corresponds to which name:
    sms-received1.caf -> Tri-tone
    sms-received2.caf -> Chime
    sms-received3.caf -> Glass
    sms-received4.caf -> Horn
    sms-received5.caf -> Bell
    sms-received6.caf -> Electronic
    IBRICKR also can easily convert the mp3/wav file to aiff...its just on ibrickr folder of ur windows after going to sounds/then sms received and convert
    Last edited by theone77; 2007-12-05 at 06:39 PM.
    DoNt ForGeT to Say "THanK You" using tHe THANKS ButToN if you found my post helpful

Apple iPhoNe 3GS Factory Unlocked 3.1.2 All working flawlessly!!

THANKS for this it helped me out

So I've got no clue what I'm doing here! I tried using the link in the first post and can't even get the software downloaded! Can someone please PM that can help me get through all of this!

What do you need help with?

Reako