Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cant add custom ringtones anymore after 1.1.2 upgrade

Default Cant add custom ringtones anymore after 1.1.2 upgrade
    just updated to 1.1.2, its jailbroken, activated, unlocked and ready to go.

coming from 1.0.2 to add ringtones all i had to do was to copy the MP3 files to /var/root/Library/Ringtones then select them under sounds/ringtones in settings menu.

i have that folder now, but my phone wont recognize it.
    where do i place the MP3 files???

and no, i dont want to sync anything

Wrong format

no its not, i have been using this method since the iphone came out.

thinking about going back to 1.0.2 where is was possible to add custom ringtones easy, as well as install 3rd party software, no space on 1.1.2 to install anything
    Last edited by bonefish; 2007-11-23 at 12:50 AM.

from what i remember it needs to be under 30 secs. If it's to long it wont work...

heard something about that, but i have used 5-7min long mp3 files with 1.0.2, just drop the MP3 files into var/root/library/ringtones was all i have to do.

custom ringtones apparently not avalible wth 1.1.2, going back to 1.0.2 tonight

have used this guide always
    http://www.modmyi.com/wiki/index.php...lation_windows

all you have to do is to drop the MP3 files into that folder, and then set them, why is it not working?

From the guide
    Enter the following commands, which will create the Ringtone directory (if not already present) and set it as the upload directory:
    Type: mkdir /var/root/Library/Ringtones Press enter.
    Type: cd /var/root/Library/Ringtones Press enter.
    For each ringtone you want to upload type: putfile /var/root/Library/Ringtones/CTU.mp3 (or whatever your file name is). Repeat this step until you have added all the ringtones you want.

anyone with custom ringtones in 1.1.2?
    Last edited by bonefish; 2007-11-23 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

the combination between itunes 7.5 and 1.1.2 lets you sync custom ringtones so there is no need for jailbreaking. just convert your mp3 into aac (.m4a). it can easily be done by right clicking the file in itunes and click, convert to AAC. after that, change the extension to .m4r instead of .m4a. to unhide extensions...go to:

start--->control panel--->folder options--->view--->uncheck: hide extension for known file types.

after this step, just double click it...it will open up in itunes and now you can sync.

from tuaw.

and you say you dont want to sync...well that is the only way to get custom ringtones in 1.1.2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to relientmt For This Useful Post:

alpawa (2007-11-24)

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't you just put the ringtones into iTunes and change them to AAC files? Then change the extension from m4a to m4r and drop them into iTunes ringtones folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
    Why don't you just put the ringtones into iTunes and change them to AAC files? Then change the extension from m4a to m4r and drop them into iTunes ringtones folder.
    i was just wondering that.. the beauty of 1.1.2 is the legal ringtones through itunes thinghy! it rocks! well ok not as much as actually receiving voicemail nnotifications but still...

(do make sure your ringtones aren't too long though or it won't work)

Okay..Why would you want a ringtone for 3 minutes..Are you the kind of person that lets the phone ring just to hear the ringtone..haha but anyway..1.1.2=easy ringtones..Take MP3 under 40.4 sec=>Load into itunes=>Convert to AAC(m4a) format=>Change format to .m4r and Itunes will Syce right to the phone..It even give a seperate section up from the preinstalled sounds to help keep it clean..

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ridgele View Post
    from what i remember it needs to be under 30 secs. If it's to long it wont work...
    lol, my ringtone is 7 minutes long. I just use Sendsong for ringtones, its so simple. Dunno why you guys mess with this other stuff.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RC_OZ For This Useful Post:

jbrown7815 (2007-11-27)

any recommended apps in windows that i can use to split my mp3's to smaller pieces?

My first post!!

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
    This is how I am doing it in 1.1.2. I was doing how the OP was doing it in 1.0.2. I don't care about syncing them either. And the don't need to be 30 secs. or less.

iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Got it!
    Quote Originally Posted by relientmt View Post
    the combination between itunes 7.5 and 1.1.2 lets you sync custom ringtones so there is no need for jailbreaking. just convert your mp3 into aac (.m4a). it can easily be done by right clicking the file in itunes and click, convert to AAC. after that, change the extension to .m4r instead of .m4a. to unhide extensions...go to:

start--->control panel--->folder options--->view--->uncheck: hide extension for known file types.

after this step, just double click it...it will open up in itunes and now you can sync.

from tuaw.

and you say you dont want to sync...well that is the only way to get custom ringtones in 1.1.2
    Thanks! Finnaly got my ringtones!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Please refer to my guide in the link below, which details how to add custom ringtones of any length, without syncing in iTunes for 1.1.2 iPhones.

http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17918

yeah, finnally got it to work.
    encoded to AAC in iTunes, then rename to m4r, then placed them all in /Library/Ringtones. Worked perfectly, but what a hazzle though.

in 1.1.2 we have to import in iTunes, convert, Then revove the singe mp3 album that iTunes created, then navigate to somewhere in documents and settings where m4r is located, then rename. remember the good day, when ringtones was just to place the mp3 in the right folder, so much easier.

but as with every single iphone upgrade i guess we have to be ok with the constant changes, and learn to work around it, sorry for getting emotional earlier :>

What I would recommend is using Audacity to edit, import it into iTunes, convert to AAC format, send to Windows Explorer, and use iDemocracy to add them...

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish View Post
    just updated to 1.1.2, its jailbroken, activated, unlocked and ready to go.

coming from 1.0.2 to add ringtones all i had to do was to copy the MP3 files to /var/root/Library/Ringtones then select them under sounds/ringtones in settings menu.

i have that folder now, but my phone wont recognize it.
    where do i place the MP3 files???

and no, i dont want to sync anything
    i too got iPhone 1.1.2, but i am using iTunes 7.4 for adding ringtones for me, u can get it a try, have a look http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18405