Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Otterbox's Alpha Glass Screen Protectors Are Responsive, Protective, and Even Private!

Default Otterbox's Alpha Glass Screen Protectors Are Responsive, Protective, and Even Private!

There are a number of screen protectors out there, but most of them are the same old stuff – a sheet of plastic that goes over your screen and leaves dirt and air bubbles between your screen protector and display. I'm personally not a fan of them, and I have been really hesitant to use any screen protectors on any of my iPhones for the last 6 years, but I've recently bit the bullet and tried one that I really enjoy.

The Otterbox Alpha Glass is a great screen protector solution for those that want a responsive, glass-like, frictionless, and protective screen protector for their iPhone. I've been using the Otterbox Alpha Glass for my iPhone 6 Plus for a week now, and it's holding up great through all of my junk yard trips, vehicle repairs, Geocaching trips, and everyday life.

Unlike the everyday screen protector that you'll get for free with many of your case purchases, the Alpha Glass is actually made from glass. With that being said, it feels like you're touching the iPhone screen and not a piece of sticky plastic. It also makes your touch input very responsive.

I picked up the Alpha Glass Privacy version rather than the clear version, so I get the added benefit of people to the side of me not being able to tell that my display is even turned on (they can't see anything I'm doing).

As you can see from the image above, when you're looking directly at the display, the screen is clear as can be because of the clear, crisp glass. On the other hand, if you look at the display from the side, the privacy glass makes it look like the display isn't even turned on; but it is:

The Alpha Glass has a cut-out at the top where the front-facing camera, front-facing ambient light sensor, front-facing proximity sensor, and front-facing speaker can all peak out without being disrupted. In the image below, you can see just how exposed they are to prevent unwanted glare or distortion, but you can also see how at this special angle, the Alpha Glass starts to hide the display's contents from unwanted eyes:

At the bottom, you can see how the Touch ID button is wrapped around by the Alpha Glass so that you can put your thumb directly on the sensor without any distortion of your thumb print. You can also see the thickness of the true glass screen protector:

Another thickness shot to show you just how durable this thing is:

Now we made sure to tell you that the Alpha Glass works with many different iPhone cases, and this is true. The case works especially with all of Otterbox's own cases, since it's made by the Otterbox company. It also fits other third-party cases, although results may vary since Otterbox only took their own case designs into account. We've found that the screen protector fits a large variety of the cases we've shown you in the last few months without any issues. It also fits the Otterbox Commuter Series case that we showed you recently, as you can see below:

The Alpha Glass is a very solid-feeling screen protector that really feels like one of the best on the market. I'm very satisfied with the privacy glass version, although a clear option is also available for $5 less. The Otterbox Alpha Glass Privacy for the iPhone 6 Plus retails at $39.95, while the Otterbox Alpha Glass (clear) retails at $34.95. There are also options for the iPhone 6, and even for earlier versions of the iPhone like the 5s, 5c, and 5 that will cost you even less due to the smaller surface area.

With its shatter-resistant, scratch-resistant, crystal clear, solid design, we really like the Otterbox Alpha Glass and would give it an easy 4 out of 5 leaves. There really aren't any cons to this screen protector, except maybe the price. Installation was very simple, it's not cheap-feeling whatsoever, and clarity and responsiveness didn't take a hit whatsoever.

If you want to check out the options you have for the Otterbox Alpha Glass, you can head over to Otterbox's Web site at this link.

How does the privacy iook on a white iPhone? Does it make it grey?

Quote Originally Posted by hudss View Post
    How does the privacy iook on a white iPhone? Does it make it grey?
    The privacy screen makes the display look like it's turned off. So it won't change the color of anything.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

duplicate post
    Last edited by kadinh; 2014-12-10 at 04:25 PM. Reason: dup

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The privacy screen makes the display look like it's turned off. So it won't change the color of anything.
    Thanks for the review.

Does the privacy screen distort the display in any way when you're using it? Does it make the iphone screen much different than without it?

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    Thanks for the review.

Does the privacy screen distort the display in any way when you're using it? Does it make the iphone screen much different than without it?
    Nope, it's made from glass, so it's crystal clear when you're looking right into it.

Obviously, because it's a privacy screen, if you try looking at it from the side, you won't see anything. But if you don't want the privacy option, a crystal clear version is also available.

Some of the privacy has shaded grey or dark grey. How about this? The shade is even out? If you look directly, it will not be as clear as clear glass?

Some of the privacy has shaded grey or dark grey. How about this? The shade is even out? If you look directly, it will not be as clear as clear glass?

Some of the privacy has patches shaded grey or dark grey. How about this? The shade is even out? If you look directly, it will not be as clear as clear glass?

Quote Originally Posted by dlyk13 View Post
    Some of the privacy has patches shaded grey or dark grey. How about this? The shade is even out? If you look directly, it will not be as clear as clear glass?
    There is a nice evenly-hidden appearance from the side. There are no patches to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    What about the part that overlaps on the white portions above and below actual screen?

Can you show an image with the screen on so we can see how private it really look?

Show both clear and privacy side by side, turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Truffol View Post
    Can you show an image with the screen on so we can see how private it really look?
    The second image in the article has the screen on. You can't see a thing.