Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iPhone 6 Plus Otterbox Defender Case Protects From Bending, Dust, Drops, Scratches

Default The iPhone 6 Plus Otterbox Defender Case Protects From Bending, Dust, Drops, Scratches

If you're looking for a case that you can put your iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in that will take the beating of your everyday life, then look no further than the famous Otterbox Defender Series case.

Otterbox has recently released its iPhone 6 Plus version of this case despite having been available for a while now for the iPhone 6. The Defender Series case offers a variety of different protections. With it, you can pretty much guarantee yourself you'll never have to worry about Bendgate. Additionally, the case protects from dust, shock, drops, scuffs, scratches, and much more.

The Otterbox Defender Series case is among one of the most protective iPhone cases on the market. We've been able to get our hands on one and test it for a couple of days, and for sure, this is one heavy duty case that you're going to have confidence in. It's similar in many ways to the Griffin Survivor All-terrain case for the iPhone 6 Plus that we showed you mid-last month, although the build quality of the Otterbox seems a lot more structurally sound.

As you can see from the picture of the case above, the Otterbox Defender Series case offers a rugged and thick outer layer of shock-resistant synthetic rubber, and on the inside, the case offers a durable hard plastic shell to give the case structural rigidity and protection from bends. The case also gives you screen protection with an integrated screen protector, Touch ID protection with an integrated protective membrane, and a protective holster, which lets you clip this case anywhere on your person.

Enough rambling... let's get right into it, shall we?

When you get the case out of the box, it comes with multiple parts that you need to affix to your iPhone:

In that image, what you see are the two pieces to the internal plastic shell, the thick and rugged outer rubber shell, and the thick and beefy iPhone holster with the swiveling clip.

Taking a closer look at the interior of the internal plastic shell, you can see that it's padded so that it cradles your iPhone 6 Plus' aluminum unibody and protects it from scuffing against any dirt or dust that may get inside during installation:

You can also see that there is a cut-out for where the Apple logo will show, and it's guarded by a clear plastic shielding.

When you get the iPhone 6 Plus into the bottom piece of the plastic internal shell, you can begin snapping on the top piece, which has the integrated screen protector and Touch ID membrane:

Now with that on, you can go ahead and press on the thick outer rubber shell of the Otterbox Defender case:

With that on, you can snap on the provided holster. You can holster the iPhone 6 Plus any way you want – screen in, screen out, landscape right, and landscape left. We prefer to have it screen-in because that way the holster is protecting the screen too and you get the most protection possible out of this case:

The Otterbox Defender case is assembled now, so let's start getting into the meat of the case!

On the front of the case, you can see the nice wide-open cut-out for the front-facing camera, ambient light sensor and front-facing speaker. The case doesn't get in the way of these devices at all:

While the screen is protected by the beefy screen protector, you'll also notice that the membrane covering the Touch ID sensor also protects it from little dust particles and scuffs:

While the membrane covering the Touch ID sensor doesn't affect the accuracy of the sensor that much, it can cause the sensor to confuse itself sometimes (although rare). We recommend re-calibrating your finger prints after the case is installed so that the sensor can learn how to read your finger print through the membrane. That should solve all or most of your problems.

On the back of the case, you can see that there is a nice large opening for the rear-facing camera, rear-facing microphone, and rear-facing dual-tone LED flash:

In that picture you can also see how the centered cut-out of the case, which is protected by a screen protector-like shielding, displays the Apple logo of the iPhone 6 Plus proudly.

In terms of the case's ports, the Otterbox Defender Series case offers very thick rubber doors that help keep all that dust out. You'll see these doors over the ringer/silent switch, the Lightning port, and the 3.5mm headphone jack:

There is an opening in the bottom of the thick door for the 3.5mm headphone jack that allows sound to go to the bottom microphone while you're talking on the phone. You will also notice that there is a nice large cut-out for the large speaker grille of the iPhone 6 Plus so that the case doesn't muffle out the device's sound.

Here's what the case looks like with the doors closed. You can see that the volume buttons and power buttons are shielded by the rubber (they do take some effort to press), and you can also see that the speaker and microphone are the only things on the bottom of the iPhone that are exposed:

So without a doubt, the Otterbox Defender Series is a great case for those that are hard on their iPhones. It protects from just about anything, except for water. The added holster makes it a great carry-and-go case for commute, and even to keep the large iPhone out of your pocket while you're at work.

Oh... and another thing about that holster. Not only does it help protect the iPhone while you're carrying it, but the swiveling clip includes a lock on it so that the holster can double as a kickstand for watching videos, viewing photos, or just docking your device on your desk:

We have hardly anything bad to stay about this case, except that the touch screen can sometimes feel less responsive because of the wavy screen protector. Apart from that, as long as you're comfortable with putting a little pressure in your touch, you can use this case and be sure that by the time it's time for your next iPhone upgrade, you won't have a scratch, dent, or bend to be heard of.

We're rating the Otterbox Defender Series case for the iPhone 6 Plus four out of five leaves; four, because it is on the slightly pricey side at $69.99 for the iPhone 6 Plus version of the case and $59.99 for the iPhone 6 version of the case, but since it's just so darn indestructible, we have a lot of respect for it:

While you're at it, watch us drive over an iPhone 6 with the Otterbox Defender series case installed on it using a Dodge Dakota pickup truck:

If by now you haven't been swayed that the Otterbox Defender Series case is one of the best protective case solutions for your iPhone, then you probably have no business carrying an iPhone on you!

The Otterbox Defender Series case is available in several different colors, and you can mix and match your color options on Otterbox's site. The available colors include for the rubber include:

• Black
    • Gray
    • Pink
    • Teal
    • Blue

The available colors for the interior plastic include:

• Black
    • White
    • Green
    • Navy
    • Lime

The holster only comes in black.

If you're interested in grabbing an Otterbox Defender Series case for your iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, head over to Otterbox's Web site at this link!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-11-10 at 05:35 PM.

have to catch them when they are available. they go within minutes on their site when available. i would say if interested sign up for email updates. I got mine and no complaints thus far with it.

$59.99 for the iPhone 6 version? I purchased mine a week before the iPhone 6 release at my local AT&T for $49.99. It's a nice case and I was surprised at how skinny it was when compared to my old iPhone 5's otter box case. Only thing is that the rubber for the buttons (power,volume) is a little hard to push down. Am still trying to break the rubber in to smoothen it up a bit. Other then that great case and I highly recommend this case to any one.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I really think they need to drop the whole bending issue and marketing thing.

I have been using this case since I got my iPhone 6+ on Sept-22 Amazon.com: iPhone 6 Plus Case, SpigenĀ® [SOFT-FLEX] iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) Case Slim **NEW** [Capsule] [Crystal Clear] Premium Clear Flexible Soft TPU Case - ECO-Friendly Packaging - Slim Case for iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) (2014) - Crystal Clear (SGP10886):

Even keeping my phone in my pocket while driving and working on my buddies ranch, I can report that my 6+ is still perfectly straight.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow, that's a tank! But, for those who need the added protection I guess its a go.

Awesome review with excellent pictures thanks!

I'm so tired of videos of a car tire driving over a case. Slow moving and soft object runs over case. So what? Drop a damn ball peen hammer on it and show me real world damage. Nobody I've ever heard of has driven over their phone. They generally drop them from a height of 5 feet or so onto something hard, not rubber.
    Last edited by exNavy; 2014-11-08 at 10:55 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to exNavy For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2014-11-09)

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Awesome review with excellent pictures thanks!

I'm so tired of videos of a car tire driving over a case. Slow moving and soft object runs over case. So what? Drop a damn ball peen hammer on it and show me real world damage. Nobody I've ever heard of has driven over their phone. They generally drop them from a height of 5 feet or so onto something hard, not rubber.
    Thank you exNavy!

The car video – entertainment purposes only! :P
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-11-09 at 06:44 AM.

And your thin, light iphone has become as thick and heavy as a laptop from the 1990's

-The Otterbox Symmetry fits well together
    - the rubber around the buttons tends to move quite a bit when pressed
    - The slickness of the back makes the iPhone 6 feel less stable when used with one hand