Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Griffin's Survivor All-terrain Case For iPhone 6 Plus is Resistant to the Elements

Default Griffin's Survivor All-terrain Case For iPhone 6 Plus is Resistant to the Elements

The world is a very harsh and unforgiving place for any type of smartphone. Among many of the world's harmful elements, such as water, blunt objects, dust, and even gravity, there is little a smartphone can do to fare against such brutal forms of torture.

Luckily, the folks over at Griffin have a very reliable solution for those that have an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus and need protection from the aforementioned elements. At $49.99 for the iPhone 6 version, and $59.99 for the iPhone 6 Plus version, Griffin's Survivor All-terrain case will keep your iPhone safe from the world.

With three layers of protection from dust, water, shock, and scratches, the Griffin Survivor All-terrain makes a great case for those demanding top-of-the-line protection. The first layer of the case is an impact-absorbing silicone outer shell, the second layer of the case is a foam-lined polycarbonate inner shell, and the third layer is a scratch-resistant screen shield. As a bonus, you even get the included belt clip:

Does it look bulky? – You better believe it is. This hunk of protective lining will keep that iPhone of yours safe from drops, dents, scratches, rain drops, sandstorms, and much more.

Below, you can see the iPhone 6 Plus inside of the case:

One thing you'll notice right off the bat is that no part of your iPhone is actually exposed to the outside air. Everything is either covered by some kind of water-resistant fiber, or it's closed off by a silicone door that clips shut. This is where the case gets its water and dust resistance from.

The Touch ID sensor is covered by a water and dust-resistant lining, but it can still read your fingerprint through the lining:

The front-facing speaker, the bottom microphone, the rear-facing microphone, the bottom speaker, and more are also covered by that same water and dust-resistant lining:

Where there isn't a water and dust-resistant lining, there's a silicone door that snaps shut to create a seal against dirt and moisture. For example, there are doors over the headphone jack and Lightning jack:

Griffin has done a nice job of making these ports accessible. Many third-party headphones, speakers, and Lightning cables will work with this case.

The same type of door is present over the ringer/silent switch. You can see that the volume up and volume down buttons are covered by silicone to prevent scratching or scuffing:

The sleep/wake button is also covered by silicone for the same reason. The volume buttons and sleep/wake buttons are easy to push through the case's silicone:

The rear of the case is super durable, and you can see the "Survivor" branding etched into the case:

The rear-facing microphone is covered by more of that water and dust-resistant lining, while the Camera and rear-facing LED flash are undisturbed by the case's cut-outs:

The included belt clip easily clips onto the case so that you can clip it to your belt, backpack, purse, pocket, or anything else you can think of:

Griffin's Survivor All-terrain case for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meets stringent protection standards set by the US Department of Defense MIL-STD-810G. If protection is your forte, no matter how thick or bulky the case may be, then this is definitely a viable option that you'll want to check out.

Because of the case's excellent protection from so many things that the world has to throw at it, and because it's fairly priced, we're giving the case 4 out 5 leaves. Only 4 because sometimes the screen protector can sometimes feel so thick that it can interfere with the ability to use the touch screen; usually, just trying again will work, so it doesn't feel like a situation that will make your iPhone feel unusable. Usually, just applying a little more pressure will fix things; it takes getting used to.

The case comes in the following color combinations:

• Black on black
    • Black on blue
    • Olive on lime
    • Pink on black

If you're interested in a Griffin Survivor All-terrain case for your iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, you can head over to Griffin's Web site at this link.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

How well does Touch ID work through this case? I've heard it can be unreliable on some cases like this.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    How well does Touch ID work through this case? I've heard it can be unreliable on some cases like this.
    I didn't have any problems at all so far!

Just have a firm grip on the case and a fair amount of pressure. Don't be lazy with your finger and it will go through.

Similar cases have the same setup, like Otterbox.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-10-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I didn't have any problems at all so far!

Just have a firm grip on the case and a fair amount of pressure. Don't be lazy with your finger and it will go through.

Similar cases have the same setup, like Otterbox.
    I'm thinking of buying one. Does it cover the camera and flash also?

Quote Originally Posted by elsocio83 View Post
    I'm thinking of buying one. Does it cover the camera and flash also?
    Yes, a clear plastic cover shields them from the elements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    Got mine a few days after getting my 6 plus, used a leather apple one the first 4 days.

I was going to remove the stock screen protector from the top bezel as I have done with all my cases over the years... I prefer to use a different screen protector than the ones built into most cases... I decided to try it out and was really impressed by the Touch ID cover, it is working so ridiculously well... I have not felt that it has hindered the Touch ID function whatsoever.

Only 2 things with this case that I recommend modifying: 1. Remove the speaker and microphone protective fabric. The speaker cover can make your music and ring tone sound crappy at medium levels and especially at higher volumes. 2. Remove the camera lens and flash plastic cover. I feel that the cheap plastic lens and flash cover reduce photo and video quality... Gently removing the intial foam cover you can remove the plastic cover and then replace the foam cushion to help prevent dust and dirt from getting into the case.

I would highly recommend this case. It was good on my iPhone 4 years back and seems to be the more heavy duty case available for the 6 plus right now... Also since the 6 plus is thinner than a 4, the case is slimmer and not as bulky as I thought It'd be... It truly is a beastly burly case though...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sage I For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-10-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Yes, a clear plastic cover shields them from the elements.
    Thanks for the response. Going to place the order.

I've had this case for several days now and it definitely has its pros and cons. I've listed the ones that are the most important for what I use and need. I have not dropped the phone yet other than tossing it on the couch or bed so I cant state how well it holds up but if it is anything close to the iPad survivor cases my phone should be fine no matter what my kids could put it through.