Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking 3GS 3.0 and upgrading to 4.3.3

Default Jailbreaking 3GS 3.0 and upgrading to 4.3.3
    I am trying to jailbreak and unlock a 3GS running 3.0 but nothing I do will work. Every time I run redsn0w the pwned DFU mode fails as it does in Pwnage tool. Any ideas? Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you want to unlock (use a non-authorized carrier), don't use Redsn0w. You must create a custom firmware using PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze and install that. Only PwnageTool and Sn0wbreeze create custom firmwares. Redsn0w is mostly used by users who don't need an unlock.

Settings/General/About: What is the Modem Firmware version?

Also note: A 3GS requires SHSH blobs to load any firmware. TinyUmbrella The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella does 2 things: download and store all available SHSH blobs, and act as a server and provide the SHSH blob when loading a firmware. TU is not necessary for 4.3.3 because Apple is giving that away free today
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-07-11 at 05:03 PM.

I use redsn0w just to get it into pwned dfu mode then cook a custom firmware with pwnagetool. But the phone fails each time I try to enter DFU and wont take a firmware in iTunes. I am running 04.26.08 baseband. Any ideas? Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Any iTunes error? What firmware are you trying to load? If it's 4.3.3, then check your hosts file and delete anything with *apple.com. The SHSH blob request should be going to apple.

When entering DFU mode on my 3GS, I must release the power button before 10 seconds (usually around 8 or 9 seconds).
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-07-11 at 05:09 PM.

The iTunes error is usually "could not be restored because the firmware is not compatible." But the real problem is that it never goes into DFU mode correctly. I have tried to load 4.1, 4.3, and 4.3.3. Still no luck with any of them.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I edited my last post and added my personal issue with 'entering-DFU' mode. Did you see it? Try releasing the power button a bit early.