Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Confused on jailbreak iphone 4 4.2.1?

Default Confused on jailbreak iphone 4 4.2.1?
    ok I have an iphone 4 on baseband 03.10.01. I want to jailbreak it using untethered.

I know I have to use redsn0w to jailbreak first, then GP again for untethered, but I'm confused on some steps.

1. Do I have to create a custom firmware in sn0wbreeze first to preserve the baseband? Then run redsn0w and browse for that custom firmware?

or...

2. Can I use the stock firmware and browse for it in redsn0w?

3. After the firmware detection by redsn0w, do I just select "Install Cydia" and let redsn0w automatically jailbreak it? Is that all i need to do to jailbreak it?

Thanks!

PS Im on windows 7...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    ok I have an iphone 4 on baseband 03.10.01. I want to jailbreak it using untethered.

I know I have to use redsn0w to jailbreak first, then GP again for untethered, but I'm confused on some steps.

1. Do I have to create a custom firmware in sn0wbreeze first to preserve the baseband? Then run redsn0w and browse for that custom firmware?

or...

2. Can I use the stock firmware and browse for it in redsn0w?

3. After the firmware detection by redsn0w, do I just select "Install Cydia" and let redsn0w automatically jailbreak it? Is that all i need to do to jailbreak it?

Thanks!

PS Im on windows 7...
    You can use any jailbreak tool as they are all untethered at that firmware.

Snowbreeze or Tiny Umbrella would be the choice tools in using if wanting to preserve the baseband but seeing as youre on 03.10.01 there really is no need to preserve.

Yes, you're on the right track. Just get redsn0w to pick up the stock firmware and install Cydia.
    or...
    You could always just open your phones browser and just go to jailbreakme.com and be done with it

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Just update to 4.3.3 and then use redsnow 0.9.6rc18 or jailbreakme.com to jailbreak untethered. Make sure to save your 4.3.3 SHSH with tiny umbrella before Apple releases 4.3.4 too.

If you want to stay on 4.2.1 just use greenpoison to jailbreak it. no need to use redsnow at all unless you need to hactivate.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Just update to 4.3.3 and then use redsnow 0.9.6rc18 or jailbreakme.com to jailbreak untethered. Make sure to save your 4.3.3 SHSH with tiny umbrella before Apple releases 4.3.4 too.

If you want to stay on 4.2.1 just use greenpoison to jailbreak it. no need to use redsnow at all unless you need to hactivate.
    I got ahead of myself there. I forgot to mention he had to be on 4.3.3 to use jailbreakme. Oops

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    I got ahead of myself there. I forgot to mention he had to be on 4.3.3 to use jailbreakme. Oops
    Wait a minute, you have to be on 4.3.3 to use jailbreakme? You cant be on any firmware lower?

I tried to use GP standalone before and it would always failed during jailbreak process. Thats why someone else mentioned to use redsn0w first to do a tethered, and try GP after for an untethered

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I think it is supposed to work on lower firmwares but 4.3.3 is recommended.

As for greenpoison to get past that jailbreak failed error keep holding the home button after entering DFU. Do not let go of the home button until you see scrolling text on your device's screen.