Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Assistance on Jailbreaking Iphone

Default Assistance on Jailbreaking Iphone
    Hi,

I am having a iPhone 3G with 4.2.1.

1. I want to know whether running this jailbreak will wipe my data or not?

2. Also if I want to revert to factory settings, will I be able to do that after jailbreaking and how? Any links to same. I read somewhere that updating to baseband 6.x.x doesn't allow you to restore to stock firmware? What is actually meant by stock firmware?

The above may be general inquiries, but would help me making a decision. Look forward to the above answers.

Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

Jailbreaking will NOT erase any data on your device. its a "patch" that opens up the system for 3rd party access not a RESTORE like iTunes.

itunes restore will return to factory settings,
    if you hit that button in settings app then your device will be stuck on Infinit reboot untill restored.

Stock firmware is... well that.. firmware that hasnt be modified.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    Jailbreaking will NOT erase any data on your device. its a "patch" that opens up the system for 3rd party access not a RESTORE like iTunes.

itunes restore will return to factory settings,
    if you hit that button in settings app then your device will be stuck on Infinit reboot untill restored.

Stock firmware is... well that.. firmware that hasnt be modified.
    Hi, thanks for confirming that my data & apps won't be deleted. Further, I dint get ur point that device will be stuck in infinite reboot?

Well, if I backup my device now before jailreaking and then restore from this backup, when I want to unjailbreak, will I get back my original apps & settings in this way?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

If you ever want to REMOVE the jailbreak
    You will have to BACKUP all your data
    Then RESTORE the device as a new one.

There is no unjailbreak.
    Backing up Before jailbreak will have a clean save BUT all your game saves and such will not be there when you come to restore later.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.