Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPHONE4 downgrade

Default IPHONE4 downgrade
    Hi there,
    just wondering how can i downgrade my iphone 4. I tried to restore the phones os by using 4.2 and 4.1 however i got error 3914.

this phone is second hand, my friend was with telstra and then managed to unlock it. However he wasn't too keen about iphone 4's that's why he sold it ;P

can anyone run me through some steps or such

thanks very much

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

3194 is an error that occurs when trying to restore to a firmware Apple is no longer signing. Apple is only signing 4.3.3.

You'll need SHSHs to restore to anything that isn't 4.3.3. Why do you want to downgrade? You can jailbreak 4.3.3 just fine.

Use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 from the dev team's blog (google Dev Team, first link) and you'll find it on the first page.

Oh but will the phone still be locked if i was to jailbreak it?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Locked to the carrier? Well if it's on 4.1 or above it's locked and you can't unlock it. You can jailbreak it but you can't use it on another carrier.

ah tyvm >_<'

Is it still possible to upgrade your OS through itunes, when its unlocked?

Does it make it locked if you do it?
    Last edited by iwhipmyhair; 2011-05-14 at 05:50 AM. Reason: forgot to ask you ;P

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I'm not understanding the question, sorry.

What do you mean "locked"?

as in locked to the network, sorry.

Downgrade it with ssh blobs then jailbreak it again on redsnow and it should have the option to unlock it

um, once you unlocked your iphone are you able to upgrade the OS through itunes without being locked to the carrier.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If you're factory unlocked then nothing can ever lock it back up. If it isn't factory unlocked, once a baseband is upgrades it can't be downgraded so it'll get locked up.

well its unlocked by the service provider, not a factory unlocked.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That makes it factory unlocked because the carrier unlocked it through Apple which puts the IMEI into the database to permanently unlock.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

iwhipmyhair (2011-05-15)

ah sweet thank you very much

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    3194 is an error that occurs when trying to restore to a firmware Apple is no longer signing. Apple is only signing 4.3.3.

You'll need SHSHs to restore to anything that isn't 4.3.3. Why do you want to downgrade? You can jailbreak 4.3.3 just fine.

Use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 from the dev team's blog (google Dev Team, first link) and you'll find it on the first page.

Hey i.Annie

I have a Iphone 4 on 4.3 and tried to update to 4.3.3 so i can JB with rc 16 but can't do it and get an error during the I tunes process error (10)

it tries to restore and update but on;y ends up restoring and now i have to reactivate it again.

any clue?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PURE XTC View Post
    Hey i.Annie

it tries to restore and update but on;y ends up restoring and now i have to reactivate it again.

any clue?
    Did you restore successfully?

Got a question here for ya. I have a jail-broken iPhone4, but haven't upgraded since 4.1.2 (which is what my phone was at when I first bought it in September, and waited about a month til' jailbreak came along) and since I'm not looking to change from the carrier which I have my contract with I'm told to get iTunes 10.2.2, then upgrade to 4.3.3 and re-jailbreak using one of the many options (which I have no idea which is best).

Here is my problem, I've just recently learned about all of the other things I can do with my jail-broken phone other than themes. I've been going a little crazy buying or using free tweaks from Cydia to test them out. Anyhow today I got a tweak that was obviously meant for a version of OS higher than 4.1.2 and now I can't even get to safe mode....just that stupid picture on the screen telling me to plug into iTunes. I just found out that since I'm staying with my carrier my baseband doesn't matter and I can jailbreak the latest OS 4.3.3, but my problem/question is just what will I lose? Do I lose all my Cydia stuff? All my games/music/movies? I bought my new laptop after I had already jail-broken my phone so I've never even had iTunes installed let alone backed up. I want to find out what I'll lose or what I can save.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Install itunes on your new laptop, sign in and authorized your computer and download those apps from apple store again. For Music if you have backup onto some flash drive, you have to drag those music back to itunes and sync it again, that goes for movies too. In other words, every restore and rejailbreak , you will lose your stuffs, and if you had not changed to a brand new laptop, you can sync back whatever you have in your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Did you restore successfully?

I did Thanks.

Forced it in to Recovery mode with the Home Button and plugged it in.

Then did the Itunes Upgrade to 4.3.3

it d/l'd the ipsw and then said it was processing the firmware to the phone...stayed there for an hour...i shut it down, restarted itunes and then restored again, by this time the file had already been downloaded and it went right to the update and worked!

used redsn0w rc 16 with the 4.3.3 and JB'd it no prob!!