Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which Jailbreak Method?

Default Which Jailbreak Method?
    I have a jailbroken (by jailbreakme.com) iphone 4 on ver. 4.01, 01.59.00 firmware. It is unlocked, but I don't need it to be since I only use ATT. I have cydia apps backed up with PkgBackup. What method would be the best to use to upgrade to 4.1 since unlock isn't important to me? Upgrade to the official 4.1 and then jailbreak with Limera1n or Greenpois0n? Use custom ipsw with redsn0w? I want to use the one with probability of the fewest issues/errors.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The easiest way is to just hit upgrade since you don't need the unlock. Then jb with Greenpois0n or Limera1n. I used Limera1n, it's been flawless since beta 4 came out. Others might recommend GP tho It's up to you.

If you want to avoid issues and errors, you can forget about what you've done with pkgbackup. It only restores your Cydia apps if you restore from back up on your phone. Restoring from back up can cause problems because of the previous jb. We always recommend to set up the phone as new to prevent problems from carrying over or occurring. So back everything up by hand or write down all those Cydia apps you want, cuz youre gonna lose it all if you want a problem-free phone. Music and apps you won't lose tho those are resync-able.

Oh yeah, one more thing to help you avoid running into any problems, after your upgrade, activate your phone in iTunes first before jailbreaking.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-05 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Update>limera1n>enjoy

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    If you want to avoid issues and errors, you can forget about what you've done with pkgbackup. It only restores your Cydia apps if you restore from back up on your phone. Restoring from back up can cause problems because of the previous jb. We always recommend to set up the phone as new to prevent problems from carrying over or occurring. So back everything up by hand or write down all those Cydia apps you want, cuz youre gonna lose it all if you want a problem-free phone. Music and apps you won't lose tho those are resync-able.

Oh yeah, one more thing to help you avoid running into any problems, after your upgrade, activate your phone in iTunes first before jailbreaking.
    Actually, when upgrading, you don't have to worry about setting the phone up as new or anything. That issue only occurs when restoring the phone. All of the user info will remain because you are just updating the software rather than reinstalling it.

Also, pkgbackup relies on the users contacts list so it would be usable for this situation as updating will not erase any of the personal/itunes-related info. Please keep in mind that pkgbackup isn't the greatest when it comes to updating iOS because it has no way of determining a packages compatibility with the newer version of iOS. I use it for restores all the time and it works flawlessly, but I always recommend to take the time and reinstall Cydia packages manually when updating to a new iOS. Most packages are 4.1 compatible by now but that is not a guarantee for all of them

But yes, I too used Limera1n and have not had a single issue with it whatsoever.