Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Started redsnow jail break, walked off, came back and stuck in DFU, cant get out.

Exclamation Started redsnow jail break, walked off, came back and stuck in DFU, cant get out.
    Hi, I work for a company who repairs all the Apple products, we typically use redsn0w to jail break 3.1.2 phones, well today I started a jailbreak and walked off. When I came back the iphone appeared to be off (blank screen). When i hooked it up into the computer Itunes recognizes it. I know its stuck in DFU mode, and I know how to get out of DFU mode (soft reset, yata yata) But that did not work. I have tried tiny umbrella and a couple other programs to kick it out. Ive tried restoring to 3.1.3 and even 4.0 but It fails each time. Ive done a TON of research and possibly too much, my brains on overload now. Can anyone help me? I dont want to update to 4.1, i know that will probably fix it, but this phone is here at my store for a jailbreak/unlock.

I'm very tech savy so any info would be greatly appreciated. Maybe im missing something simple. Anyways thanks in advance for reading my long *** post.

Try a hard reset

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ericwall For This Useful Post:

thewallvideo (2010-11-03)

Default Thanks
    Lol yes I have tried a hard reset as well. Sorry I should of mentioned that.

Thanks

Did you use JBme2Pwn ? Was the phone jailbroken @ 3.1.3 ?

My phone would do the exact same thing after installing Jbme2Pwn all I got was a black screen..But I just installed 3.1.3 again it does say it failed but then I'd use TU to kick it out of recovery mode..I then had to use a custom IPSW with redsn0w to upgrade without losing the ability to unlock..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cid6.7 For This Useful Post:

onesicktexan (2010-11-03)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

What error are you getting when you try and restore it?

Default Sounds good
    I did not use JBme2Pwn, and I tried using TU yesterday but it never recognized the device (the kick out of recovery mode option was grayed out). Maybe I wasnt connecting it correctly? I'll try again, and I cant remember what the error code was ill try again in a sec and let you know. It might of been 3194 or 1006. Which ive researched both.

Thanks

This is a iPhone 3G right? 3194 is the no SHSH error although you should be able to restore to 3.1.3 or lower without SHSH on a iPhone 3G. When you tried using tiny umbrella did you run it as administrator?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Its a 3gs, so I guess it was not a 3194 error? I dont remember im about to try it again and ill let you know

Thanks

There is your issue then. redsn0w did not work on iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2. Download tiny umbrella and see what SHSH you can save. Your only hope without SHSH may be pwnage tool. But you would need a mac or someone with a mac to make the custom 4.1 for you.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The standard way to exit DFU is to hold the power and home button for 10 seconds, release both buttons and wait 2 seconds, then power on as normal. Have you tried this? (this isn't a hard reset)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

When I Open TU (run as admin) the Exit recovery and Save SHSH is grayed out. The computer recognizes the phone and opens itunes but its like TU doesnt recognize it. And I have a mac so thats no problem. And ive used red sn0w to jailbreak 3gs on 3.1.2 numerous times, infact i just did one this morning.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.1.2 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

@ anniex423, thanks for your reply but ive tried that as well. That was the first thing I tried.
    Last edited by onesicktexan; 2010-11-03 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks

My mistake. Been a while since I have used the 3.1.2 jailbreak tools. If you have a Mac then you should be fine. Just download the latest pwnage tool, make a custom 4.1, put the phone in dfu using the special dfu mode in pwnage tool then option-click restore to that custom firmware.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onesicktexan View Post
    I did not use JBme2Pwn, and I tried using TU yesterday but it never recognized the device (the kick out of recovery mode option was grayed out). Maybe I wasnt connecting it correctly? I'll try again, and I cant remember what the error code was ill try again in a sec and let you know. It might of been 3194 or 1006. Which ive researched both.
    do you hav the latest versiom of TU? iirc there's a margin on the right hand side that will have a question mark with a number next to it. click that first and then the "kick device out of recovery" button will no longer be greyed out.

*edit- it's the left hand side
    Last edited by skiptowncat; 2010-11-03 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Okm the save shsh comes up but the exit recovery does not. It is the latest version.

Log

11/03/2010 12:57:15.482 Loaded History... 11/03/2010 12:57:15.959 Caching shsh files... 11/03/2010 12:57:15.964 Found [0] shsh files to cache... 11/03/2010 12:57:15.968 Cached [0] shsh files 11/03/2010 12:57:17.332 You are using the current version of TinyUmbrella. 11/03/2010 12:57:39.962 TSS Server Started! 11/03/2010 12:57:40.155 TSS Accepting connections...

Thanks

In the left pane there "should" be

Show all SHSH
    Connected Devices (when phone is plugged in obviously)
    iPhone
    Recent Devices
    iPhone

You must select iPhone under Connected Devices
    Have you tried this..?

what about recboot

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ericwall For This Useful Post:

thewallvideo (2010-11-03)

There is no devices listed. But it is def. connected. Itunes recognizes it right away and says it's in restore mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tu.jpg  

if your phone is in a recovery mode (DFU) mode even after reboots, resets, the works, then that means your OS is actually damaged... no amount of kicking it out with iRecovery, or any tools is going to fix a bad install. I have the same issues trying to jailbreak a 4.2 ipad with my own custom bundles in PwnageTool... a iphone/ipad ALSO goes into recovery mode when the current OS is unable to boot up...

i believe Zurei is right but if not i suggest to use TINYUMBERELLA TO KICK IT OFF THE RECOVERY MOOD

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions, I decided to just update to 4.1 and say screw the unlock for now. I tried everything suggested and still no luck, but thanks a ton for your time, you guys rock.

GlobalRepairSolutions.com Nick C