Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Redsn0w to kill off snowbreeze 2.2

Default New Redsn0w to kill off snowbreeze 2.2
    A new version of Redsno0w has been released for windows by the DEV team. This will allow an IPSW created with Pwnage tool on a MAC to be restored using windows. This has eliminated any need for snowbreeze 2.2 and is suspected to be a direct dig at i8hsnow for his recent interview.

i8hsn0w has been pwned and not a happy camper.

Wow...now I feel sorry for ih8snow

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ericwall For This Useful Post:

thewallvideo (2010-11-03)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well, it hasn't completely eliminated the need. You still need a custom firmware and some windows users will really want to create their own.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I still use Snowbreeze as i don't have a Mac

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

OP - LOL, that doesnt make any sense.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (2011-02-26)

What did ih8sn0w say to cheese off the dev team?

Stealth Bravo, the OP's post kind of makes sense {holds breath for disagreeing with supreme moderator}. I don't think Redsnow will be what kills off snowbreeze as mentioned you are still relying on someone else to create the custom firmware if you don't have a Mac. But, I do think the fact chpwn is currently porting pwnagetool to PC is what will kill it. Snowbreeze has always been buggy for me and I won't be sorry to see the back of it. Pwnagetool was always the weapon of choice if you had Mac and PC.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

If chpwn ports pwnagetool to PC then that could kill snowbreeze, but redsn0w is a totally different product and you still need someone with a mac.

Default 4.1 downgrade using redsn0w worked!
    Wow, thanks & my shsh 4.1 is now sitting on the Cydia server
    You guys rock! But what I don't get is why-- what's Jobs frightened of, why all the cloak & dagger antics? We knew he was a control-freak from day one-- why else all the closed-system skull duggery & proprietary non-sense? But now it's just seeming a little too pathological. Too bad-- like some Howard Hughes recoiling from a world of chaos. The 'creativity/genius' message seemsing like propaganda; your creativity is allowed only so far as he sanctions it. Frightened little men seem to like creating exclusionary, closed cultures. Grats on jailbreaking out of that system

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

That's good stuff for those wanting to go to 4.1 and preserve baseband but don't have their own Mac. Such as 3GS users who jb with spirit or jbme which requires spirit2pwn and jbme2pwn which can't seem to be installed cuz of a down repo.

Sn0wbreeze for windows users who don't have the 3GS stipulations would be beneficial. Like Yeow said, creating your own custom fw is always best. But that's up to the user

Default Snowbreeze V2.2 - Awesome !
    No Mac - No problem . . . used Snowbreeze 2.2 to upgrade from 4.0.1 to 4.2.1 and it worked like a charm . . . . . .Was able to retain my 3gs BB 1.59.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You mean baseband 5.13.04? 1.59.00 is an iPhone 4 baseband.

Sorry folks - yes, Annie is right it it 3GS, BB 05.13.04 . . . My apology.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    If chpwn ports pwnagetool to PC then that could kill snowbreeze, but redsn0w is a totally different product and you still need someone with a mac.
    Until I installed Snow Leopard on my PC I was using Pwnage Tool through virtualization mode in Windows 7. The only thing I couldn't do was enter DFU mode while running OSX virtually. Solved by DFUing in Win7.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

How could I run pwnagetool virtually on win7? Also what would be the best course of action to make my computer dual boot such as your own?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    How could I run pwnagetool virtually on win7? Also what would be the best course of action to make my computer dual boot such as your own?
    To run it virtually inside of Windows 7 I use VMWare Workstation 7. To actually dual boot it would depend on your computer's hardware, but basically you would use Chameleon as your boot manager and install either 1)by partitioning your current Windows drive(could be risky) or 2)install Snow Leopard on a secondary drive. Chameleon will then ask you upon boot which system to load. Whether you choose a virtual installation or a dual boot installation you will need a copy of OSX 10.6.3 available at your local store for $30.

More here: InsanelyMac

and here: tonymacx86

Each one has it own benifit, I dont think Redsnow will kill Snowbreeze unless downgrade baseband succefully work.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    To run it virtually inside of Windows 7 I use VMWare Workstation 7. To actually dual boot it would depend on your computer's hardware, but basically you would use Chameleon as your boot manager and install either 1)by partitioning your current Windows drive(could be risky) or 2)install Snow Leopard on a secondary drive. Chameleon will then ask you upon boot which system to load. Whether you choose a virtual installation or a dual boot installation you will need a copy of OSX 10.6.3 available at your local store for $30.

More here: InsanelyMac

and here: tonymacx86
    I was researching and apparently I could dualboot with external memory storage device, but anyway I think I'm going to go ahead with vmware workstation and just run OSX inside of windows 7. Thank you for all the info.