Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: redsn0w 0.9.6b1 or mobilesubstrate is buggy!

Default redsn0w 0.9.6b1 or mobilesubstrate is buggy!
    Update: FIXED!! Use sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 and iReb 4.1. redsn0w 0.9.6b1 has problems with MobileSubstrate 0.9.3228-1!

Installed iOS 4.1 on my 3G using redsn0w 0.9.6b1 for Windows.
    Everything works. As soon as I try installing My3G or MiWi or SBSettings, the phone behaves badly:
    • reboots lockup and can't slide-to-unlock, the screen becomes unresponsive and seems to be in some constant reboot or respring cycle. sometimes a forced reboot will get me out of that scenario.... if I'm lucky
    • Sometimes, I'll try to run the "Settings" or the "iPod" apps and it'll crash after a few seconds.
    • If I'm lucky and get out of this stuck and broken state (by rebooting many times and crossing my fingers), the only way for me to fix this problem is to uninstall MobileSubstrate 0.9.3228-1. As soon as that is uninstalled, everything works fine. Put it back on and the phone falls apart again.

Unfortunately, I can't use a lot of popular Cydia apps since most of them depend on MobileSubstrate (My3G, MyWi, SBSettings, etc)

Where do I file a bug so Saurik or someone from the redsn0w team can take a look at it?

Anyone else seeing the same annoying problem? I guess that's why it's called a beta... yuck!
    Last edited by chyjc1; 2010-10-18 at 02:54 AM.

I got the same problem and I think its from mobilesubstrate not from redsnow because without mobliesubstrate everything works fine.

But once I install it I am also in the respring reboot loop, but I cant get out in any way, tried everything, only restore gets my iPhone out.

Its annoying cause i need mobilesubstrate, I already restored my iPhone today like 5 times.

Can someone help with this problem??

I tried using sn0wbreeze 2.0.2/iREB 4.1, but that appears worse than redsn0w since it keeps putting my phone into emergency mode as if it wasn't activated and iTunes kept complaining about a problem with my phone. I ended up putting redsn0w back on there while staying away from any MobileSubstrate apps.

The only way to fix this is to have Saurik and the redsn0w team work together to figure it out. It's either MobileSubstrate not hooking into he redsn0w hacked kernel correctly or redsn0w not providing the support for MobileSubstrate to work.

Well I think they should already know about this problem.... i hope so.

But there is currently no other way of jailbreaking the iPhone 3G with firmware 4.1 other than redsnow or did I miss something??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

All 3 of those apps work perfect. Make sure you have the most up to date PAID versions as the old pirate versions are not compatible and will cause safe mode and reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    All 3 of those apps work perfect. Make sure you have the most up to date PAID versions as the old pirate versions are not compatible and will cause safe mode and reboots.
    Well sadly its not only about My3G and MyWifi its mostly because of all the other apps that need mobilesubstrate like SBSettings, Winterboard, Game Center and so on...

But apperently if you jailbreak an iPhone 3G with redsnow you cant put on the latest mobilesubstrate cause your iPhone will be stuck in the loops!!

EDIT: I believe the paid apps that I meantioned above work great, if mobilesubstrate would work, and by the way, I already bought those legal from cydia I just cant get them to work...

I'm not using any pirated apps. Simply putting SBSettings on there (which also installs MobileSubstrate) will put the phone into a broken state.

Quote Originally Posted by chyjc1 View Post
    I'm not using any pirated apps. Simply putting SBSettings on there (which also installs MobileSubstrate) will put the phone into a broken state.
    Exact same thing for me.

I am currently trying using a different version of MS (an older one), but I have to get cydia not to update it....

I will do some more testing...

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I think that really depends on what you have and what you did. Did you do this on an iPhone 3G? Did you use redsn0w 0.9.6b1 for Windows to jailbreak the 3G? If not, then you're wrong, those 3 apps don't work perfect.

I always used redsnow 0.9.6b1 on a mac and like I said above I got the same problems because of MS and redsnow not working together...

Right now I got a jailbreak (4.1) done with snowbreeze on windows.
    I will test is MS works with that, I will post the results here as soon as I know something new.

UPDATE: I GOT IT!!!!

Snowbreeze seems the solution, just use snowbreeze make a custom .ipsw then use iReb to not run into errors while restoring and the restore your iPhone with the custom firmware!! If iTunes cant connect to the phone after the restore is done (happened to me) just restart it once, then it works.

So far I can confirm that SBSettings runs perfect without any respring or reboot loops!!!

Tell me if that helped you.
    Last edited by NightCat; 2010-10-17 at 11:44 PM.

I've been trying to use sn0wbreeze unsuccessfully. Every time I do so, the phone comes up in Emergency mode (i.e. not activated).
    i.e.
    I create a custom ipsw with sn0wbreeze 2.0.2. I used Expert mode, selected the 4.1 firmware, clicked General, unticked the "Activate The iPhone" and ticked "Enable Battery Percentage" and created the ipsw.
    Then I run iTunes 10.0.1
    Then I run iREB.
    I shift-click Restore and give it the customer firmware, but as soon as it's done, it goes into "Emergency mode".

What exactly did you do? I just don't want to repeat going back to the same state again, because I've already spent hours on sn0wbreeze.

Also, if you used Simple mode, did you answer "yes" or "no" when it asked you if you wanted to activate your phone? I'm on AT&T and am already activated, so I'm guessing "no" is the right answer.
    Last edited by chyjc1; 2010-10-18 at 12:34 AM.

Hey,

I also needed a full day to get mine to work.

The activation takes place after every restore. every time you restore your iPhone needs to get activated again!!

My iPhone also sits in emergency mode first and takes a little time to get the activation done over iTunes

After the restore with iTunes (custom ipsw) I just waited for the iPhone to reboot then iTunes told me i needed to unplug it because of the Sim card.
    I always need to unlock the sim card first then plug the iPhone back in and then I choose "set up as new iPhone" and then go on with that.

The iPhone then says somewhere in between a message on the screen "Waiting for activation, this make take a while" and after about 20sec. (for me) it says on the iPhone "iPhone activated"!!

If iTunes displays an error right after the restore that it cant connect to the device (even before it says you need to unlock the sim card) just restart the iPhones as it is and go on with setting it up after the restart. (after the restart my iTunes connected to the iPhone and said here is a fresh iPhone, what do you want to do ;-) )

I hope this helps.
    Sorry for my bad english, i am from Germany
    Last edited by NightCat; 2010-10-18 at 01:07 AM.

Usually, when I do a restore, the activation occurs quickly. But with sn0wbreeze, it sits there for a long time and does not activate at all. It stays in emergency mode. I'm here in the US with AT&T. I'll try a few more times... but if I'm unsuccessful, I'll just go back to redsn0w until someone makes a proper fix with either redsn0w or mobilesubstrate.

Well good luck,

I dont know what else to say, I told you exactly how it worked for me.

Tell me if you get it to work...

Interestingly.. I got it to work when I used Simple Mode instead of Expert Mode. I'm going to try Expert mode one more time (because I want that battery percentage). If it doesn't work, I'll go back to Simple Mode.

I haven't tried MobileSubstrate yet... but will report back when I do.

Interestingly.. I got it to work when I used Simple Mode instead of Expert Mode. I'm going to try Expert mode one more time (because I want that battery percentage). If it doesn't work, I'll go back to Simple Mode.

I haven't tried MobileSubstrate yet... but will report back when I do.
    Great news!!!
    Hope it workes with the expert mode also. Are you also adding in the backgrounding possibility or just the battery percentage??

I have backgrounding also enabled, and I am very happy with it!!!

I just tested mobile Substrate by installing and testing SBSettings...

I just got Expert mode to work. This time, carefully ticking only what I want. i.e. untick "Activate the iPhone" and tick "Enable Battery percentage". It worked this time.

I chose not to "Enable Background Wallpaper". I like to have a black background.

I chose not to "Enable Background Wallpaper". I like to have a black background.
    With backgrounding I didnt mean the wallpaper, i meant the ability to multitask...

But its great you got it to work too!!!

EDIT: I will go to bed, its late at night in Germany, good luck with your iPhone, I will be back tomorrow!
    Last edited by NightCat; 2010-10-18 at 02:09 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NightCat For This Useful Post:

chyjc1 (2010-10-18)

I heard multitasking was too slow with 3G's limited memory, so I chose not to enable it.

So far, I installed SBSettings and I no longer have a crashing/rebooting/respring iPhone.

I guess since we both see this problem, we can conclude that redsn0w 0.9.6b1 for 3G stinks and should be avoided at all costs!

Great to hear that you got it working too!!

Yes I think we can call this one to be true.

Redsnow and Multisubstrate just dont work together.
    Solution: Use Snowbreeze to jailbreak

I also activated multitasking and I am very happy, I have to say so that I helped a little bit with the RAM...

I told the iPhone to use swap files, and its running very smooth. Love it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast