Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I almost threw my iPhone out the window...HELP!

Default I almost threw my iPhone out the window...HELP!
    So I was excited to hear the 4.1 redsn0w for windows was available. I jailbroke it last night. I used my phone with no issues today, but then I needed to use my Navigation (MotionX) to drive a very long distance. I got about a 1/3 there and I realized my GPS wasn't working. For whatever reason the location service was off, so I turned it back on.....off again it went (this was using SBSettings). So I decided to try it via settings. The settings page would never fully open. It would hang up then go back to the iPhone screen. I decided a reboot would not be a bad thing to try.....I never got the phone to work again. The whole ride home (since I was forced to turn around having no navigation) it was stuck in a constant rebooting cycle.

So here's the kicker, I figured I'd restore via iTunes then either wait for a non beta version of redsn0w or just try my luck again with it. But my constant "reboot" cycle that was happening the whole ride home stopped and when I got home.

I was livid, I had someone waiting for me and I couldn't even call them to say I couldn't make it.

So is there something, anything know to cause such an issue?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

What a nightmare you have gone through. When you use GPS, make sure on your multitask , you close all apps and leave only the GPS apps on. It could be that you have used up all your resources of your ram, 3g only have 128 mb of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    What a nightmare you have gone through. When you use GPS, make sure on your multitask , you close all apps and leave only the GPS apps on. It could be that you have used up all your resources of your ram, 3g only have 128 mb of RAM
    You know, I have no idea how to multitask now. Do I need a cydia app to do it? I checked the box in Redsn0w to enable multitasking,

Re-jailbreak with redsn0w

Thanks

I would recommend that you start over. Restore firmware 4.1 and set your iPhone 3G up as a new phone. Do not "restore from backup". Re-jailbreak using Redsn0w v0.9.6, select Cydia, but do not select Multitasking. This is one time, that I agree with Apple for not enabling it. The 3G does not have enough memory to properly support it. On firmware 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2, it caused major performance issues.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-10-15 at 09:03 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Well I will do your suggestion when I get home today. For grins I did re-jailbreak last night per the other suggestion and today I had the same exact issue when I tried to use motionx. So it only took about 45 minutes (again) of rebooting for it to come to ready. I will reposed back tonight on if your fix works

Thanks

When you are at 4.1, if you do a double press, you will see all the apps are open. You have to close all of them that you open otherwise it will use some resources of your RAM.
    If you like to use GPS apps on it, I suggest you go and get a 3GS, it has double the RAM and double the Speed too, a much better CPU than it predecessor.
    A 3G is basically a 2G with added GPS feature, whereas 3GS is geared for IOS 4.xx

I recommend you get on cydia , Auto close folder.. Read more on cydia

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coltas24 View Post
    I recommend you get on cydia , Auto close folder.. Read more on cydia
    Can't find it in Cydia. Is it located in a 3rd party Source that I need to add to Cydia Sources?
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

I had similar problems. Uninstall MobileSubstrate in Cydia. This will also uninstall all the programs that depend on it, such as SBSettings, MyWi, My3G, etc, but your phone should stop the endless reboot/crashing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    Can't find it in Cydia. Is it located in a 3rd party Source that I need to add to Cydia Sources?
    It is shown only in Developer's mode.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

reddawg (2010-10-16)

Look for multiclean on cydia and free memory or free ram and if you use sb setting hit processes

None of these are going to help him. Disconnect the iphone cable from the phone, keep rebooting (holding power and home to shut off) until you are able to get in, and then run Cydia to remove MobileSubstrate.