Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbreak without reloading Cydia apps

Default jailbreak without reloading Cydia apps
    I bought iPhone 4 (4.01 from the factory), and I used jailbreakme.com and reloaded all of the Cydia apps that were on my old 3G. When a jailbreak is released for 4.1, I want to use the one that will avoid having to reload Cydia and it's apps. I forget what I used with my 3G a while back. Is redsn0w the one that creates a custom ipsw from the official ipsw? In this case I just upgrade to that custom ipsw and wouldn't lose anything. Is that correct? Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryPSU View Post
    I bought iPhone 4 (4.01 from the factory), and I used jailbreakme.com and reloaded all of the Cydia apps that were on my old 3G. When a jailbreak is released for 4.1, I want to use the one that will avoid having to reload Cydia and it's apps. I forget what I used with my 3G a while back. Is redsn0w the one that creates a custom ipsw from the official ipsw? In this case I just upgrade to that custom ipsw and wouldn't lose anything. Is that correct? Thank you in advance.
    Maybe it's sn0wbreze that I used before, not redsn0w. Anybody?
    Last edited by GaryPSU; 2010-09-28 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

installing a custom firmware means that you can set it up to have all the apps you want ready installed..
    so you will be wanting sn0wbreeze i think.
    redsn0w is just a quick JB like jailbreakme.com
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks. After my first post, I recalled that it was probably sn0wbreze, not redsn0w that I used to upgrade my previous iPhone 3G. I'm waiting for it to arrive on Windows for ios4.1 on iPhone 4.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Snowbreeze will preserve your baseband.
    Redsn0w : You have to restore to stock firmware which also update your baseband.

Default Baseband?
    Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Snowbreeze will preserve your baseband.
    Redsn0w : You have to restore to stock firmware which also update your baseband.
    Thank you. I understand that Sn0wbreze is the one that I want now. I'm not sure what is meant by baseband. Is that the firmware? Is preserving the baseband needed to keep cydia and their apps installed on my phone? Or is preserving the baseband necessary to keep the phone unlocked? Or both?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Snowbreeze is a tool to create a custom firmware, when creating custom firmware, it will not update your baseband , if your current baseband is 05.11.07, it will stay that way if you restore to custom firmware. Only baseband for OS 3.0 to OS 4.0.1 can be unlocked by Ultrasn0w.
    Restoring to Stock Firmware, will update your baseband if there is a baseband change in that firmware you are restoring too.
    Baseband determines your unlock.
    Firmware is just your operating System, like Windows Xp, Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Snowbreeze is a tool to create a custom firmware, when creating custom firmware, it will not update your baseband , if your current baseband is 05.11.07, it will stay that way if you restore to custom firmware. Only baseband for OS 3.0 to OS 4.0.1 can be unlocked by Ultrasn0w.
    Restoring to Stock Firmware, will update your baseband if there is a baseband change in that firmware you are restoring too.
    Baseband determines your unlock.
    Firmware is just your operating System, like Windows Xp, Windows 7.
    My current iphone 4 modem firmware shows as 01.59.00. I assume that that's what is referred to as "baseband". If that's correct, that's why I mix the terms up. My operating system is currently 4.01. I will use Sn0wbreeze to "upgrade" to a custom 4.1 (and eventually 4.2) when a new version of Sn0wbreeze becomes available. I think I understand now.