Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading Issues

Default Upgrading Issues
    So there once was a time in my life when i was very up to date with jailbreaking and and then as life usually does i kind of fell behind and now i need some answers. I currently have an ipod touch 2g jailbroken running on OS 3.0. I tried to upgrade to 4.0 so i could jailbreak again and run off newer firmware. But it doesnt seem like that going to happen. I've tried ever thing i can find. Shift upgrade/ shift restore/ and the whole time getting the error message. Well thats because apple doesnt recognize it. So i did the saurik thing to no success. So if anyone has an answer for me it would be appreciated. All i want to upgrade to the most recent jailbreakable firmware. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Restore to custom firmware of 4.0. If you are still jailbroken at 3.0, Use Snowbreeze 1.7 to create a custom firmware of 4.0 and then do the Shift + Restore to CFW.

You need to upgrade your Itunes to atleast 9.2

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Restore to custom firmware of 4.0. If you are still jailbroken at 3.0, Use Snowbreeze 1.7 to create a custom firmware of 4.0 and then do the Shift + Restore to CFW.

You need to upgrade your Itunes to atleast 9.2
    iTunes is running 10.0 if at all possible explain this Custom firmware in a bit more detail.

Thanks

When you were at 3.0, you jailbroke with Redsn0w 0.8 , correct.
    Since you have the OS 3.0, I think you do not have the MC model, therefore from this jailbroken 3.0, you can create a custom firmware from Snowbreeze and when created , it will be placed on your desktop.
    Now with this jailbroken 3.0 ipod, do a shift + restore to custom firmware you created.
    Once restored you are already jailbroken at iOS 4.0.

Edit : check your model is it MB or MC ? If it is MC, then you cannot use the above method.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-13 at 10:43 PM.

When you were at 3.0, you jailbroke with Redsn0w 0.8 , correct.
    Since you have the OS 3.0, I think you do not have the MC model, therefore from this jailbroken 3.0, you can create a custom firmware from Snowbreeze and when created , it will be placed on your desktop.
    Now with this jailbroken 3.0, do a shift + restore to custom firmware you created.
    Once restored you are already jailbroken at iOS 4.0.
    Okay im trying it now but in the mean time..what do you mean when you refer to MC model.. ive seen this term and havent really figured out what it means.

Thanks

For Ipod 2G, the MC model which is the later model has a revised bootrom and custom firmware cannot be used, just like the newer 3GS New bootrom cannot use CFW.

For Ipod 2G, the MC model which is the later model has a revised bootrom and custom firmware cannot be used, just like the newer 3GS New bootrom cannot use CFW.
    Okay tried the custom firmware...no success error 1604... pretty sure i have the older model 2G...considering i bought it about 2 months after it came out.

Thanks

Is your ipod 2G, still jailbroken but in recovery mode. If you have already restored to a stock OS and not jailbroken yet, then you can't use cfw.

You must have Itunes 9.2 or higher

Reboot your pc again and try again.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-13 at 11:31 PM.

Is your ipod 2G, still jailbroken but in recovery mode. If you have already restored to a stock OS and not jailbroken yet, then you can't use cfw.

You must have Itunes 9.2 or higher
    No it still in recovery mode... i have itunes 10

Thanks

Use tiny umbrella to kick it out and see if you are still at 3.0 and jailbroken.

Do you know how to put it in DFU mode and restore to CFW

Use tiny umbrella to kick it out and see if you are still at 3.0 and jailbroken.

Do you know how to put it in DFU mode and restore to CFW
    I know how put it into DFU...im not familier with the term CFW...currently it wont come out restore mode of what ever its called... Right now im download Umbrella

Thanks

CFW short form for Custom Firmware...haha.. my short form, maybe not international term.

CFW short form for Custom Firmware...haha.. my short form, maybe not international.
    Okay...I tried to DFU and restore to custom firmware but i still got the same error as recovery mode.

Alright it out of Recovery mode..still jailbroken and still at 3.0
    Last edited by IrishMoose; 2010-09-13 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

So you are back to square one, I am on my iPhone now, I have a 3GS, at 3.0 I jailbroke with redsn0w 0.8 and the use Cfw till today.

Ok this time, without going to rec mode, from springboard do the shift + restore to cfw

Are you sure you build the correct cfw for iPod 2g

iPod touch 2g firmware starts with ipod2,1_4.0
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-14 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So you are back to square one, I am on my iPhone now, I have a 3GS, at 3.0 I jailbroke with redsn0w 0.8 and the use Cfw till today.

Ok this time, without going to rec mode, from springboard do the shift + restore to cfw

Are you sure you build the correct cfw for iPod 2g

iPod touch 2g firmware starts with ipod2,1_4.0
    Okay so this is where im at now... i tried to restore from the springboard....iTunes goes to preparing ipod for restore...screen goes blank and then pops up the iTunes logo with USB and then it just sits there and error message pops up.

Thanks

Hmmm, doesn't seem to work, that is weird. I guess you can't use custom firmware then. You might have to restore to stock firmware but I am not sure if you need shsh blogs to do that. I do own an ipod touch but it is 1st Gen and doesn't require shsh blogs.

You might have to post a new thread under Ipod Forum to see if someone can help you.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-14 at 04:06 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

IrishMoose (2010-09-14)

Hmmm, doesn't seem to work, that is weird. I guess you can't use custom firmware then. You might have to restore to stock firmware but I am not sure if you need shsh blogs to do that. I do own an ipod touch but it is 1st Gen and doesn't require shsh blogs.

You might have to post a new thread under Ipod Forum to see if someone can help you.
    ....embarassing silence....i was using wrong firmware...thanks for all your help...i really appreciate it.

Thanks

What did firmware did you use?

One that was supposed to be used for an Iphone 3g not Ipod Touch like you had suggested earlier

Thanks

So what do you plan to do, restore to stock or custom firmware ? The benefits of using CFW is that you can change your boot image and also increase your primary partition .

I found out Snowbreeze 1.7 is buggy, but Snowbreeze 1.6.2 is better and I do have a copy if you want it.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-14 at 04:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast