Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help...iPhone session could not be started!

Default Need help...iPhone session could not be started!
    Don't know where to start, so I'll post to the redsn0w forum where all my problems started!

I have an 8gb 3G iphone. I don't need unlock, so I upgraded to 4.1 from a jailbroken, unlocked iPhone with 4.0.1. All went well and everything was working. Then I read on another post that you can jailbreak a 4.1 3G with redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5. I downloaded everything I needed and began the process. It went ok, and when finished Cydia was installed. However I couldn't connect to cydia or anything else via wifi. And I noticed that my phone icon was gone. I can receive calls, but I can't make any. I searched here and on google, but couldn't find a solution. Also, the iPhone won't respond to a shut down. I can reboot by holding the shutdown button and the home button, but that doesn't cure anything. Neithed does a factory reset.

I got frustrated and decided to start over, so I did a restore via iTunes. Now I get a message halfway through the restore that say the backup and restore session could not be started...itunes couldn't communicate with the iPhone. iTunes sees the iPhone and I can add tunes fine

Can someone point me in the right direction

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Try downgrading to 3.1.x. If you have your SHSHs you can downgrade to 4.0/1/2. Tho I recommend 3.1.x on 3G phones.

4.1 does JB with Redsn0w on a 3G but as you can see, it doesnt do it right (youre not the only one so its a common problem). So I would suggest to downgrade to 3.1.2, JB with Redsn0w 0.9.3.

Edit: you can downgrade to 3.1.2 without SHSHs. Youll just need Recboot to kick it out of recovery mode when you get error 1004, or 101x (which you will get after a successful downgrade in iTunes).
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-13 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iTunes won't let me downgrade to 3.1.3. I have my SHSHs saved for 4.0.2, but when I use tinyumbrella, I get error 1602 in iTunes. I'd try redsn0w, but the iPhone won't shut off and won't therefore go into DFU mode. Any help???

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You can get into Recovery Mode to restore instead. What error do you get for 3.1.2 restore in iTunes?

With error 1602 you might try another computer or USB port. Restart your comp and change the USB port.

Again, another 1602 error. I'm on a mac. I'll switch to a pc and see what happens. Let you know in a minute.

Got a 1602 error on the pc. Used a different usb cord.

Got into recovery mode and iTunes says it doing a restore. At least the iPhone has the "bar" running. I'll see what happens next.

WHEW!!! It worked. I'm back to a working 3G on 4.1. I restored my contacts ok. Now just have to restore apps, songs, etc. Thanks for your help. I learned my lesson.

Now I'll be patient and wait for the dev team and a "real" jb.
    Last edited by garyh99; 2010-09-13 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey I am having the EXACT same problem that you were having and i have a question to anybody who can answer it? If you couldn't turn your iphone off, how did you put it into recovery mode to restore it?

Hold down both the power button and home button, ignoring the power off slide. The screen will go dark. Release the power button and continue to hold the home button for about 15-20 seconds. iTunes will then tell you that you're in recovery mode and ask you if you want to restore.

Hey i managed to get itunes to restore my iphone, but i tried doing what you told me, but the iphone didn't go into recovery mode and the screen was remaining black. So what i did was quickly unplug the phone releasing the home button and then plugged it back in holding the home button once again and it worked! Thanks though i thought my phone was ruined and i just got it two days ago!

Good job! Glad you're back.