Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Redsn0w won't reconize 4.1...

Default Redsn0w won't reconize 4.1...
    I have an iPhone3G, redsn0w has been my jailbreak of choice when in a pinch since it contains the bootrom exploit for the 3G. I recently had to force a restore (not by choice) to 4.1. Redsn0w isn't reconizing 4.1 and I am wondering if when you selcet the IPSW bundle I can use 4.0.1 instead and it will work fine. My 3g just hasn't been the same since 4.0 and I feel I'm loosing the fight to keep it running smooth. Anyone able to help guide me to figure out why redsn0w won't reconize 4.1? Dev-Team guide says redsn0w will always work for 3G cause the bootrom exploit.

PS. I may not have alot of posts been doing this since iOS 2.0 so please don't act like I'm stupid.. Thanks

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RocketshipVirus For This Useful Post:

Fatimma (2010-09-25), Kat_Kingdom (2010-09-18), Tiphone87 (2010-09-13)

dont try and jailbreak 4.1 with redsn0w you will lose you phone app and cydia wont open

iPhone? More like MyPhone Rinnycoop121's Avatar
    Thanks

so is there a way to jailbreak 4.1 on the 3g?

i did find this just then it might work im gunna try it tomorrow on my mac so
    Jailbreak iPhone 3G/3GS iOS 4.1 with PwnageTool (MAC) - iHelplounge

Quote Originally Posted by louis135 View Post
    i did find this just then it might work im gunna try it tomorrow on my mac so
    Jailbreak iPhone 3G/3GS iOS 4.1 with PwnageTool (MAC) - iHelplounge
    True but I had to restore and 4.1 was installed. Usually Pwnagetool requires you to already be jailbroken.
    PS that site says it is a "Jailbrekaer" Seems sketchy ya know.. Let me know how it went for you.
    Last edited by RocketshipVirus; 2010-09-12 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Fized spelling

Quote Originally Posted by louis135 View Post
    dont try and jailbreak 4.1 with redsn0w you will lose you phone app and cydia wont open
    I screwed up and tried this. Sure enough, cydia doesn't work and I lost my phone app. Is there a way to fix everything back to normal?????

Quote Originally Posted by garyh99 View Post
    I screwed up and tried this. Sure enough, cydia doesn't work and I lost my phone app. Is there a way to fix everything back to normal?????
    Ha Ha You ready for this one. Restore it. Now we are back to the same page of 4.1 on a 3G. Dev-Team blog says that redsn0w can and so does iPhone wiki but it won't recognize 4.1 for me..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I did try the jailbreaker4.1 and build a custom firmware for 4.1 and successfully made a custom firmware of 4.1 but when I restored to it, it just freezes at apple logo, don't try it, it just won't work. I did this on Vmware, but those of you if you have a mac can give it a shot.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-09-13 at 04:11 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

ev_ol (2010-10-13)

Ok did some research (probably should have started there lol) and found that redsn0w does contain the bootrom exploit. But it also has to work with the iBoot exploit (yet to be released for 4.1). In order for it to work right we need to just give them some time in order to find an iBoot exploit for 4.1 to attach to redsn0w and PwnageTool. So basically we are all in the same boat from the start; confused and waiting the Dev-Team to work their magic.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketshipVirus For This Useful Post:

Kat_Kingdom (2010-09-18)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

4.1 is technically not supposed to be jailbroken even on 3G phones. It only works on early beta versions of 4.1 and even then it creates problems such as missing apps (like phone, mail, etc).

Edit: oh yeah, and Cydia doesnt work at all in some instances Ive seen.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-13 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by RocketshipVirus View Post
    Ha Ha You ready for this one. Restore it. Now we are back to the same page of 4.1 on a 3G. Dev-Team blog says that redsn0w can and so does iPhone wiki but it won't recognize 4.1 for me..
    I'd love to retore...to anything. A restore to 4.1 in iTunes results in a "session could not be started". A restore with tinyunbrella to 4.0.2 (with SHSHs saved) results in an iTunes error 1602. iTunes won't let be downgrade to 3.1.3 either. I'd like to try redsn0w, but I can't shut the phone off so I can get into DFU mode.

I desperately need help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by garyh99 View Post
    I'd love to retore...to anything. A restore to 4.1 in iTunes results in a "session could not be started". A restore with tinyunbrella to 4.0.2 (with SHSHs saved) results in an iTunes error 1602. iTunes won't let be downgrade to 3.1.3 either. I'd like to try redsn0w, but I can't shut the phone off so I can get into DFU mode.

I desperately need help!!!!
    OK, my problem is solved!!! I was able to force the iPhone into recovery mode and do a restore in iTunes. Now i'm back to a working 3G with 4.1. I learned my lesson and will wait for the dev team to do their magic!!!!!
    Last edited by garyh99; 2010-09-13 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

hahaha I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

I upgraded my 3G on purpose, as 4.0 was pissing me off. It was so damn slow and needed frequent resprings, restarts, memory freeing and what not. 4.1 works great but I'm worried if it'll stay the same after the JB.

I miss BiteSMS.

Quote Originally Posted by aayman_farzand View Post
    hahaha I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

I upgraded my 3G on purpose, as 4.0 was pissing me off. It was so damn slow and needed frequent resprings, restarts, memory freeing and what not. 4.1 works great but I'm worried if it'll stay the same after the JB.

I miss BiteSMS.
    go back to 3.1.3 you dont need shsh to downgrade back to it.. and theres no difference in it and these new firmwares for the 3g

only on the 3g do you not need shsh had to change that because someone would argue that lol

iam waiting for the shattered jailbreak soo i can jailbreak my ipod touch 4.1

and i really can't downgrade because i don't have any saved shsh blob for any other version i just did shsh blob for 4.1 :P stupid i now !!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kudo shinchi For This Useful Post:

Kat_Kingdom (2010-09-18)