Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading from 3.1.2 to 4.0 on 3G & 3GS Help

Default Upgrading from 3.1.2 to 4.0 on 3G & 3GS Help
    Can I upgrade 3G/3GS's to 4.0 and still jailbreak and unlock?
    I have been a long time reader of all the info and advice on this site and cannot tell you all how much I appreciate all your hard work. (many of you have gotten random paypal donations from me. ) Lately I have not had the time to do the research I need to do too properly upgrade my iPhone’s over to 4.0 and I’m not sure I should. Would you please pass on some solid advice/links for the proper procedure on the following phones? Currently I only have access to my Windows 7 and XP machines. I’m working on getting a Mac when the funding comes available. It will be his week if nessessary.

3GS/32GB - mine
    OS 3.1.2 / Modem Firmware 05.11.07 / SN 86929xxxxxx
    This phone has been Jailbroken/Unlocked and Cydia has SHSH files for 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0
    This phone rocks, I love it and have never had an issue with it. The jailbreak/Unlock is untethered but I do have to reset my Network Settings everytime it is turned off/on. No big deal.

3G/16GB – wife’s
    OS 3.1.2 / Modem Firmware 05.11.07 / SN 84827xxxxxx
    This phone has been Jailbroken/Unlocked but she rarely connects to Cydia unless she wants it to do something special and I jump on and do it for her. I have no idea if the SHSH files are saved or if they even need to be for a 3G. I thought I read on here a week or so ago that Apple was requiring signatures for 3G’s as well now.
    This phone has also operated flawlessly since JB day one. The jailbreak/Unlock and Network Settings remain intacked no matter how many times I turn it off/on.

3GS/16GB - E-bay rebuild, sitting on the shelf.
    OS 3.1.2 / Modem Firmware 05.11.07 / SN 85930xxxxxx
    Bought this phone in pieces and rebuilt it for my daughter but since she is 14 she changes her mind every 30 seconds and now doesn’t want an iPhone. After a few new parts and a rebuild it operates perfectly but no indication that it’s ever been Jailbroken/Unlocked. There cannot be any SHSH files on Cydia. I have not reset it yet and all the original owners’ info is still in it.

3G/16GB – Craig’s List Special
    OS 3.1.2 / modem Firmware 05.11.07 / SN 5K915xxxxxx
    Got this one off Craig’s List with the “No Service” problem. I thought putting a new antenna in it and making sure everything was aligned properly would fix it but I was wrong. I’ve been looking for a fix for this for awhile but it would seem there are a handful of these 3G/16GB models that have this unfixable problem. I read a post that said upgrading to 4.0 may fix this issue but I’m not ready to throw caution to the wind just yet. I just logged into Cydia with it and it is reporting “Pending TSS request” so I doubt it has any saved SHSH files. Otherwise this phone is in great shape. Good WiFi/GPS etc. Hate to think it is just a parts farm for 3G’s and a junk MoBo because of the “No Service” problem.

Well, there you have it folks. I know it’s a long post but the other option was a post for each phone. Any input on any of the phones is greatly appreciated.
    Keep up the good work and we’ll keep the donations coming.
    Michael

jailbreakme.com and ultrasn0w should unlock it in cydia.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

bugsy247 (2010-08-18)

jailbreakme.com dont work for me.

hi guys, i am kinda new here n i have a big problem, i have Iphone 3G 16gig. ones i upgrade it n now i cant open pm phone, it shows the picture of USB and Itunes i tried to reinstall when it comes to 90 % is says error 14 , 20 , 16 accured. pls give me a hand on this thank you

hi guys, i am kinda new here n i have a big problem, i have Iphone 3G 16gig. ones i upgrade it n now i cant open pm phone, it shows the picture of USB and Itunes i tried to reinstall when it comes to 90 % is says error 14 , 20 , 16 accured. pls give me a hand on this thank you
    Last edited by proud2beturkmen; 2010-08-15 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost