Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there a way to upgrade and STAY Jailbroken

Default Is there a way to upgrade and STAY Jailbroken
    Hi

First post here, so go easy....

I'm on 3G 3.1.3 JB on old baseband.

If I want to upgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1, will I lose all my extensions and apps that I have through Cydia currently on the phone??

I've JB a few phones but always from new to JB, never from JB to upgraded JB!!!!

Am I making sense here?

Reason is....I would like the newer software but not sure if it's worth having to go back to virgin state then find all my stuff again.

Can someone describe what the different stages look like when upgrading an already JB phone?
    Does all your stuff remain on the phone waiting to be usable again once re-Jailbroken????

What's the best thing to do? Make a note of all your favourite stuff and start again?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

You will have to reload all your jb apps. You can download ROCK from cydia and create a user account and use that to back up your jb apps. Then when you rejailbreak you install Rock and load the backup. There are also a few other apps out there that will do that.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You will definitely lose the jailbreak data. Captin is right, and one of those apps include aptbackup. Id recommend the Rock method. Aptbackup requires a phone restored from back up. Its always recommended to set the phone up as new after the upgrade so that no issues from the previous jailbreak will rise.