Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Redsn0w or Sn0wbreze

Default Redsn0w or Sn0wbreze
    I have an already jailbroken 3G on 3.12. Which shall I use to create a custom firmware from Apple's iOS4? I think that I used Redsn0w before, but I'm not sure. Does it matter?
    Thank you in advance.

I'm also curious about this, except I used blackra1n before.

Can I use redsn0w or should I use pwnagetool?
    Last edited by lucky644; 2010-07-05 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks

To answer your title question (Redsn0w or sn0wbreeze) for an iPhone 3G, I would choose Redsn0w.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryPSU
    I have an already jailbroken 3G on 3.12. Which shall I use to create a custom firmware from Apple's iOS4? I think that I used Redsn0w before, but I'm not sure. Does it matter?
    RedSn0w does not create custom firmware, PwnageTool does. If you read through MuscleNerd's tweets, he recommends using Redsn0w for iPhone 3G devices.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd
    @ma94264 yep I think iPhone3G users should try 4.0...JB with redsn0w redsn0w 0.9.5 BETA [iPhone Dev Team] + decide about MT or wallpaper
    5:16 AM Jul 1st via web in reply to ma94264
    There have been many reports of severe performance lag after upgrading to 4.0 and jailbreaking the iPhone 3G when both multitasking and home wallpaper are selected during the jailbreak. MuscleNerd is saying pick one, but not both.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-07-05 at 08:16 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by lucky644 View Post
    I'm also curious about this, except I used blackra1n before.

Can I use redsn0w or should I use pwnagetool?
    I tried to "upgrade" to ios4 with sn0wbreze, but couldn't get it to work. I used redsn0w and was successful. This method required a restore in iTunes to Apple's ios4 before "re-jailbreaking". I had re-enter my Cydia apps, but I had a list. Be careful, some apps do not work with ios4. Five column springboard put my iPhone in safe mode, and I had to start over again. I have a PC, so there was no pwnagetool for Windows.